Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭alanbk

I'd say that the routers firewall is blocking you or the windows firewall. Turn off both and use the free version of http://www.ireasoning.com/mibbrowser.shtml and you should have no problem. A big thanks BTW to OP and other boardies on this find. Really pleased with the result and the UPC speed is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Skittle wrote: »
    I did try to follow the first post and I couldn't get connected using the apps mentioned, hence my post. Would it be worth trying with the router disconnected from the upc cable?

Make sure that you are using lan cable connected to your UPC box from your pc and check all settings mentioned before.

I tried the method few times and it always worked for me, every time I was able to reset to factory settings by pressing reset for 30 seconds and apply the setting again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. It's just occurred to me that UPC is against bridge mode because once people use their own routers for everything including Wi-Fi, they will switch off the Wi-Fi on their UPC device to avoid excess interference and the like. Then their whole Wi-Free spin goes up in smoke. Chances are they've had this service in the pipeline for quite some time and allowing customers to use their own routers easily would turn the service into a joke. It's not exactly a ground-breaking offering anyways so it's half way toward being a joke as it is. It's pure marketing, is all. "Sign up with UPC today and get all these useless extras free as a valued *cough* UPC customer."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Then their whole Wi-Free spin goes up in smoke.

Off-topic, but I doubt the implementation will allow for customers controlling the "separate" network/SSID UPC will use for that purpose (save, turning off the hardware altogether).

cgarvey wrote: »
    Off-topic, but I doubt the implementation will allow for customers controlling the "separate" network/SSID UPC will use for that purpose (save, turning off the hardware altogether).
    No but your modem's Wi-Fi radio needs to be switched on. The SSID you choose won't affect the "Horizon Wi-Free" SSID for everyone else, but turning off the radio will see it disappear from your end.

• Advertisement

I probably shouldn't be sharing this since it's from a PM that I initiated today. The reply is just in and I think this could be a pretty compelling argument to support the theory that they're against it due to it impacting their shítty Wi-Free offering.
    UPC: Reps wrote:
    DECEiFER wrote:
    Hi,

I've enabled the wireless on my Cisco EPC3925 but am not seeing any Wi-Free network apart from a neighbor's whose signal is very poor where I'm at. Do you need the Horizon box's modem for this to be enabled in your home?

I normally don't use the 3925's wireless as it's in bridge mode and I use a better router for that side of things. I'm just curious, is all. It's still in bridge mode, just so you're aware, so if Wi-Free is supposed to work on any modem, would the 3925 need to be in router mode? I can't really be had making the switch for the sake of a hunch as it involves changing a bunch of network settings so I can hook up to it and switch it back to bridge mode, so if you could please let me know, that'd be appreciated.

Hi DECEiFER,

Wi-Free will not be available on a modem that's in bridge mode.

Thanks,
    Sinead

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TommyGD

My router is Thomson TWG870 from UPC.

In the past I have FW 01.71 and use "Portbase PassThrough" option in Thomson so I have public IP on my second router Netgear.

Now my router have FW 01.75 and "Portbase PassThrough" option has been blocked :mad: so I do not have public IP anymore on my second router Netgear.

I tried this guide but I can't connect to my Thomson.
    My options are here: http://imgur.com/a/QDqvN#0 (6 photos).

I do not have AntiVirus in my PC. Use only Windows Firewall (I disabled it in menu Start > services.msc). My PC is directly connected to Thomson by cable.

But still can't connect to my router :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

Yeah I noticed my Thomson FW upgraded last night to 1.75. However, the Thomson remained in modem only mode. Did you download the net-snmp from the link in the first post?

Yes. net-snmp is installed in c:\usr.
    Maybe UPC replace this ****ty Thomson to some Cisco?

maybe try downloading some live linux distro, burn it on cd/create live usb stick and try method no3?

Regarding Wi-free - one can always take out the mini pci-x wifi card like I did in my Thomson?

• Advertisement

Are you saying that a fw upgrade will put the routers back to their original state ?

alanbk wrote: »
    Are you saying that a fw upgrade will put the routers back to their original state ?

Not according to this:
    Asm wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed my Thomson FW upgraded last night to 1.75. However, the Thomson remained in modem only mode. Did you download the net-snmp from the link in the first post?

BTW, if you didn't know already and you have Thomson router you had/have semi open WiFi network available to anyone who knows about it already. Google "UPC_MultiMedia", it is hidden network with widely known key. This reminds me of Eircom WEP issue couple of years back.

That was main reason for me to look for the real bridge mode and that's why I took out the wifi card from the modem.

EDIT2: Just restarted the modem to see if it will be updated - firmware version 1.75 dated 05.06.2013 was installed, bridge mode still enabled, I didn't even had to reenable it. Happy days!

That's creepy! I often saw those null SSIDs, even on the Cisco 2425 and 3925, but never knew that they could be connected to so easily.

Its a different subnet, but I recon with a bit of knowledge someone could have a peek at your family holidays pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

I have a Horizon box with wireless disabled. Just out of curiosity is there some hidden SSID on Horizon boxes too? And does having the Thomson in modem mode completely stop that? Does it help to take off the antennas too?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Ok I found that I could get the apps to connect to the router and return MIB information, only if I disconnected the UPC cable from the router and powered it back on. My new problem is that the OID number specified in the first post doesn't exist. I did an SNMP walk with both apps and neither found it.

What now?

Ok I found that I could get the apps to connect to the router and return MIB information, only if I disconnected the UPC cable from the router and powered it back on. My new problem is that the OID number specified in the first post doesn't exist. I did an SNMP walk with both apps and neither found it.

What now?

it might be not visible as it is private SNMP community. Just set the value as per guide and see what happens. Worst case scenario you will loose your customisation after factory reset.

Ok I found that I could get the apps to connect to the router and return MIB information, only if I disconnected the UPC cable from the router and powered it back on.

Can you explain this?

1. I must disconnect UPC cable.
    2. Power on Thomson.
    3. Use program to connect to router

Like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

TommyGD wrote: »
    Can you explain this?

1. I must disconnect UPC cable.
    2. Power on Thomson.
    3. Use program to connect to router

Like this?
    Yep, that's exactly what I had to do. It seems that with the coax cable connected, UPC disable the SNMP functionality on the router. So I powered off the router, disconnected the coax cable, powered the router back on and then used the apps to connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭drabisan

docentore wrote: »
    EDIT2: Just restarted the modem to see if it will be updated - firmware version 1.75 dated 05.06.2013 was installed, bridge mode still enabled, I didn't even had to reenable it. Happy days!

Good to know! My network was working properly in the morning but I don't think the upgrade reached my Thomson, as I had no messages about any port down ;)

Out of curiosity - if they decide to move up my speed, will they screw up the bridge config by pushing a new UPC config?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

ArthurG wrote: »
    Sorry for the basic question, but what's the benefit of doing this?.

(I realise if I need to ask I probably don't need to know!!)
    Would anyone be able to explain the reason for doing this pretty please? I've been googling but can't find jack.

Same question here from me, what exactly is the benefit from doing this :) Is it just for enabling bridging mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭drabisan

You can buy yourself a powerful router to perform NAT, firewall considerably better than Thomson; most routers have better wireless and are dual band.
    Thomson will act as a simple box that convert from Docsis to Ethernet and nothing more than that. The jobs requiring processing, memory and good quality wireless would be performed by your router.

livEwirE wrote: »
    Same question here from me, what exactly is the benefit from doing this :) Is it just for enabling bridging mode?

My UPC router kept dropping ip addresses for example. This is a big issue for FTP etc. So a good wireless router sorted this issue for me. I suppose if your happy enough with your UPC supplied equipment, then there is no advantage in doing anything from this post.

Bad news.
    UPC blocked this trick on Technicolor TC7200. When we change "2" to "1" router reboot immediately and we have bridge mode, but after a while router automatically change "1" to "2" and reboot with bridge mode off :(

*gulp* :(

Got mine today, wondering now if I should have just coughed up the extra €3 per month to keep my 2203. I guess I'll try it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Bad news.
    UPC blocked this trick on Technicolor TC7200. When we change "2" to "1" router reboot immediately and we have bridge mode, but after a while router automatically change "1" to "2" and reboot with bridge mode off :(

Could this just have been a reaction to a firmware update,if you change it back now will it stay in bridge mode?

We can't back to previous firmware in UPC.

Got it going here using CMwatch. Tried with MIB Browser first but although it said it set the value, the modem didn't reboot. CMwatch worked first time. Got a public IP at 19:06, lets see if it sticks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

We can't back to previous firmware in UPC.

I meant change the setting back to 1 and see if it sticks this time

Advertisement