Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compo Culture

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/carer-61-injured-after-falling-off-toilet-awarded-28k-30671827.html

Here's one. €28k for falling off a toilet seat. Looks happy with the outcome. Explains how my car insurance, claim free for nearly 20 years, went from €380 to €500. We're the mugs that are paying for these spongers.

She won her case because of shoddy work by a builder which caused her to fall.

But cases can go the other way as well http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/oxegen-concertgoer-loses-broken-ankle-claim-30671016.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/carer-61-injured-after-falling-off-toilet-awarded-28k-30671827.html

Here's one. €28k for falling off a toilet seat. Looks happy with the outcome. Explains how my car insurance, claim free for nearly 20 years, went from €380 to €500. We're the mugs that are paying for these spongers.

The head on her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

Another one here with a sensible outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

My wife's friend had a cyclist break a red light at a crossroads and go over the bonnet of her car.

He hit the car with such force either himself or his bike managed to damage the support for the room on the front passenger side. He also smashed the windscreen, the bonnet and panel work on the passengers side wing.

He tried to hit her for compo, even after he insurence had to cover the repair costs because he had none being on a push bike and all.

The insurence company told her he had a long history of compensation cases where he has gone over the bonnets of cars.

He eventully lost this as there had been 2 pedestrians who seen him break the light and gave statements to the Gardai who he insisted on calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Has anybody seen the HBO documentary Hot Coffee? It gives a different perspective on what was considered by many to be a frivolous lawsuit against McDonalds. I don't doubt that some people make unsubstantiated claims. It is also in business interest to perpetuate the idea of a compensation culture.
    There was one man interviewed who had voted to restrict the amount paid for compensation who found himself unable to cover his medical bills after an accident. He seemed to think it only affected people making frivolous claims till he found himself in a hospital bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's a good way to weed out scumbags from civilised society. Freeloaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

She won her case because of shoddy work by a builder which caused her to fall

€28k worth of a fall? Must have been some fall. Sounds like she had a lucky escape, according to the article:

"Mr Martin Smith said Ms O’Sullivan had gone to the bathroom on September 8, 2011. As she sat on the toilet she had noticed a flashing shadow of the tile as it fell from the top row. The fright had caused her to fall forward off the toilet seat."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

TheBody wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my case against the publishers of The Never Ending Story, for false advertising, to come up.

Personally Im taking a case against O'Briens sandwich Bars/ Rachel Allen for not having toostid somwidges with basil piss-tu.
    But yeah. Compo culture. A few years ago in the midst of a storm a tree came down on a back road and mushed the front of the car my wife and I were in. We were lucky not to be hurt. Insurance covered the lot, no harm done. The number of people advising us to sue the local authority as the tree was on council land was unreal. ....We didn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Rasheed wrote: »
    The head on her

Keith Richards looking rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

TheBody wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my case against the publishers of The Never Ending Story, for false advertising, to come up.

Hang in there buddy. The people who sued red bull did and they won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Personally Im taking a case against O'Briens sandwich Bars/ Rachel Allen for not having toostid somwidges with basil piss-tu.
    But yeah. Compo culture. A few years ago in the midst of a storm a tree came down on a back road and mushed the front of the car my wife and I were in. We were lucky not to be hurt. Insurance covered the lot, no harm done. The number of people advising us to sue the local authority as the tree was on council land was unreal. ....We didn't...

I was in a car accident last weekend, a young lad in his mammys car rear ended the **** out of me. Everyone was okay, nobody was hurt, but like what you said -- everybody I mentioned it too would have been like "Aww dodge back/sore neck wink wink".

Absolutely disgusting. It's the reason our insurance is getting higher and higher rather than coming down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

It's a good way to weed out scumbags from civilised society. Freeloaders.

Do you think this comment is representative of the thought processes of a civilised individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

€28k worth of a fall? Must have been some fall. Sounds like she had a lucky escape, according to the article:

It doesn't sound like a lucky escape. The article says that she had an underlying degenerative condition in her knee and therefore she had pain and other problems as a result of her injury sustained in the accident.

The eggshell skull doctrine means that a defendant takes his plaintiff as he finds him/her, and it is no defence that the plaintiff was particularly vulnerable to injury, as long as the defendant caused that injury.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggshell_skull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

I was in a car accident last weekend, a young lad in his mammys car rear ended the **** out of me. Everyone was okay, nobody was hurt, but like what you said -- everybody I mentioned it too would have been like "Aww dodge back/sore neck wink wink".

Absolutely disgusting. It's the reason our insurance is getting higher and higher rather than coming down

Yup. The thing we kept stressing to the twats telling us to sue the council was that 'its your money we would be taking you know!!!'

"Mr Martin Smith said Ms O’Sullivan had gone to the bathroom on September 8, 2011. As she sat on the toilet she had noticed a flashing shadow of the tile as it fell from the top row. The fright had caused her to fall forward off the toilet seat."

The value would have been based on the injury as set out in the medical reports.

zetalambda wrote: »
    Hang in there buddy. The people who sued red bull did and they won.

They settled and got $10 each in the end as they claimed correctly that red bull advertises it gives you extra energy when it does not. The publicity for redbull was worth the cost of settling the headlines all over the world worth a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Keep an eye on that all the same. Sometimes the symptoms of a back/neck injury take a few weeks to manifest. Keep busy and keep the muscles working if you do start to stiffen up. Was rear ended myself not long ago and have been experiencing a bit of pain in my downtime, not so much when keeping active.

Advertisement