Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey; Where to begin?

Options
  • 17-12-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I've been drinking whiskey for years now, primarily Jamesons. I kinda inherited the taste from my grandfather who would have a whiskey and tonic in the evenings.

I recently got a present of a bottle (Teelings Whiskey Small Batch) from a friend and it has opened my eyes to vast range out there.

I'd be a bit conscious of price but can anyone recommend a couple starter/essentials whiskeys to try?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

IMO The best of the best;
    Green Spot Pot Still 700ML
    http://www.drinkstore.ie/GREEN-SPOT-700ML-5011007008482/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do a little reading. Learn about the different styles etc Jameson is a fairly bland whiskey but it's a good base to start from

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you live in Dublin pop into the Celtic Whiskey store. They normally have different bottles open for tasting and won't mind giving you a sample even if you're only buying a few beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I used to drink Jameson's exclusively, but a friend of mine got me a gift of a bottle of Scotch - Knockandoo 12 yr aged - delicious

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knockando-12yr-Old-Whisky/dp/B006VCVQX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387282524&sr=8-1&keywords=knockando

Highly recommended you give it a try !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

upforit101 wrote: »
    IMO The best of of the best;

This.

Got it for my dad who is a big whiskey man a couple of years ago. Its more expensive than your Jameson, but you'll know where the money went.

Also, my favourite Scotch whisky

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Laphroaig-10-Year-Old-700ML-5010019640260/

Beautiful peaty whisky from Isle of Islay. Well worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Red Breast is a good alternative to Green Spot and is only 50 euro in Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

Thanks for all the advice, i'll have a look at the websites and i think'll try Green Spot next time i'm buying a bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

At the cheaper end of the scale I'd say give Bushmills Black Bush a spin - on offer in most of the supermarkets over Xmas - will probably set you back €20-€23.

Bushmills also have an amazing 16yr old - its on special in O'Briens at the moment for €61.99: http://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/current-offers/bushmills-16-year-old-70cl.html

Another for the list is Powers John's Lane: http://www.drinkstore.ie/POWERS-JOHN'S-LANE-RELEASE-12-YEAR-OLD-700ML-5011007001919/

I'd definitely be +1 on both the Green Spot and the Redbreast

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's hard to say really as whiskey taste is quite personal but good mainstream whiskeys in my view are Auchentoshan and Black bush.

See if there is any whiskey tasting in your local area.
    The more you get into them the more you'll go for the heavier, smokier stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

deccurley wrote: »
    This.

Got it for my dad who is a big whiskey man a couple of years ago. Its more expensive than your Jameson, but you'll know where the money went.

Also, my favourite Scotch whisky

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Laphroaig-10-Year-Old-700ML-5010019640260/

Beautiful peaty whisky from Isle of Islay. Well worth a try.

Would fully agree about trying Laphroaig - delicious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hsianloon

Green Spot
    Ligavulin 16 year
    Yamazaki 21 year old
    Jamesons 30 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Try Crested Ten :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

hsianloon wrote: »
    Green Spot
    Ligavulin 16 year
    Yamazaki 21 year old
    Jamesons 30 year old

Not sure there's such thing as a yamazaki 21 or a Jameson 30. I'd love to try them if I'm wrong, though.

Laphroaig will divide people, so it's not one I'd bank on liking. Taste it in a pub before you buy a bottle.

Lagavulin 16 has always been a favourite of mine. Not quite as strongly flavoured as the Laphroaig.

Bunnahabhain is a nice introduction. All the other stuff suggested here too.

Jameson 12 is another favourite of mine. Think they're withdrawing it from the market, so taste it while it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

I've been drinking whiskey for years now, primarily Jamesons. I kinda inherited the taste from my grandfather who would have a whiskey and tonic in the evenings.

I recently got a present of a bottle (Teelings Whiskey Small Batch) from a friend and it has opened my eyes to vast range out there.

I'd be a bit conscious of price but can anyone recommend a couple starter/essentials whiskeys to try?

For starters to appreciate Jameson you do not contaminate it with nothing. Taste the flame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Try some of the lesser known Irish - Lockes 8 years, Writer's Tears, Tyrconnell.
    Highland Park 12 is a fantastic Scotch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

For starters to appreciate Jameson you do not contaminate it with nothing. Taste the flame.

I do drink my whiskey neat and "tasting the flame". The tonic is just the way my grandfather used to cut it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

I really enjoy Talisker , Bowmore and Cragganmore - they're a lot less iodine than Laphroaig and the like Scotch Whiskys. And some may not like it but they're all delicious with soda water if you're out and trying to pace yourself! Most pubs will have a bottle of Talisker - and it's perfect neat if you're out hill-walking etc in the cold. Gets very quickly to every extremity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I won't even go into the grammar of the above statement!

If anyone was to do a little research and reading they would find that pretty much ever whiskey expert, be they reviewers, distillers, blenders, historians, etc, would agree that a little drop of water will open up any whiskey and allow you to fully savour the flavours and aromas. That's what the experts say.

I agree. I used to be very much against any water in whisk(e)y but then I was encouraged to try a little. It opened my whisky and my senses. I realised I had been carrying around an ill informed notion of how whisk(e)y should be drunk.

Now, some people like whiskey with water, some without. Some like to mix it with soft drinks, ice, what ever floats your boat.
    The thing is, I have never abused someone or suggested that they don't know anything about whisk(e)y or are not respecting it by not putting some water in their glass but I have many a time received such treatment from people for pouring a drop of water in my glass!

Enjoy whisk(e)y how ever you like but if you are going to berate people for drinking it "wrong", at least be a little bit informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

If anyone was to do a little research and reading they would find that pretty much ever whiskey expert, be they reviewers, distillers, blenders, historians, etc, would agree that a little drop of water will open up any whiskey and allow you to fully savour the flavours and aromas. That's what the experts say.

I agree. I used to be very much against any water in whisk(e)y but then I was encouraged to try a little. It opened my whisky and my senses. I realised I had been carrying around an ill informed notion of how whisk(e)y should be drunk.

Now, some people like whiskey with water, some without. Some like to mix it with soft drinks, ice, what ever floats your boat.
    The thing is, I have never abused someone or suggested that they don't know anything about whisk(e)y or are not respecting it by not putting some water in their glass but I have many a time received such treatment from people for pouring a drop of water in my glass!

Enjoy whisk(e)y how ever you like but if you are going to berate people for drinking it "wrong", at least be a little bit informed.

Would a little ice allowed to melt a little open up the flavour or would the cold dull it a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

jh79 wrote: »
    Would a little ice allowed to melt a little open up the flavour or would the cold dull it a bit?

Sometimes I do put a single ice cube in a standard Irish whiskey but the chilling effect does dull the flavour a little alright.
    But if you like your whiskey cold, that's fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Absolutely. Drink it whatever way you prefer, I say. The only thing is, if you are going to add coke, there's probably not going to be a huge difference in the taste of a Jameson and Coke versus a Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve and Coke, so go with the former, for the sake of your wallet.

I'd also say that not every whiskey benefits from the addition of water. Some swim much better than others, as they say. Though again that's down to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

irish_goat wrote: »
    If you live in Dublin pop into the Celtic Whiskey store. They normally have different bottles open for tasting and won't mind giving you a sample even if you're only buying a few beers.

Second this they are very knowledgeable and can steer you well towards what you should try. They also do a good selection of sample bottles so I'd suggest buying a selection to try at home at your leisure.

Anyway enjoy its great discovering different whiskeys or whiskys.

I'd recommend trying Redbreast, Writers Tears, John Lane, Bowmore, Woodford Reserve as some of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Connemara has a lovely smokey flavour to it. I tend towards neat whiskey, but I think an ice cube or two in a glass of Connemara really enhances it. Each whisk(e)y really deserves to be tried neat and with water/ice, they can totally overturn your opinion of the same drink.

Anyway, probably one of the best places to start is a pub that sells taster trays. Taste a few whiskies for cheap before splashing out on a bottle, if you buy, say, a bottle of Laphraoig and only find out then that you're not into peaty/smokey favours, you've wasted €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

If I'm drinking on my own, whiskey & a drop of water...

Drinking with my partner, it's whiskey with ginger ale, ice & a slice of lime.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Anyone ever try the highland black 8 year from aldi?

had it the other night and its not half bad and only 13 euro!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

upforit101 wrote: »
    IMO The best of the best;

Im glad you say that because thats what I've bought my Dad for Christmas.
    Jameson is a fairly bland whiskey but it's a good base to start from

Whiteman speak with forked tongue Jimmy. Bland? I think you mean divine.

As another poster said, taste is a very personal thing. I personally can't stand Laphroaig. I know its very popular, but does nothing for me. Reminds me of TCP when I drink it.

OP, you mentions Teeling, they have done a lot of tastings in the last couple of months. Maybe go to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

When people say "a drop of water" with their whiskey how much are we talking exactly? About the same as the measure of whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I have 3 bottles of MURPHYS IRISH WHISKEY waiting for me at home.

http://www.theliquorbarn.com/murphys-750ml/?src=prn#write_review

Purchase price was cheap, shipping and import duties have turned it into about 80 Euro per bottle... ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

When people say "a drop of water" with their whiskey how much are we talking exactly? About the same as the measure of whiskey?

An actual drop or two.

I use a straw, put it into a glass of water, place your finger on the top and pull out a small amount, then DROP this into your whisk(e)y

Advertisement