Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frugal Cooking Tips

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

KayPea wrote: »
    My Mum called dinners that were cobbled together from what was left at the end of the week "gourmet dinners". She grew up in Rotterdam during the war. *Nothing* was ever wasted by her mother, or by her.

I freeze ginger whole and grate frozen.
    I just popped 4 left over slices of bread into a loaf tin and sat it on the radiator. Tomorrow morning I will crush the dried bread to make dried breadcrumbs for coating.
    I try to keep a good store cupboard of basic ingredients so that you have plenty of scope for creating gourmet dinners.
    Cook double portions and freeze the second meal for later use. Even mashed potato freezes well.
    Blanch and freeze veg that are on special.
    Cook rice without much salt and it there is leftover, cool, pour on milk and add dried fruit. Pop in fridge overnight. Reheat for a yummy breakfast in the morning.
    Leftover mashed potatoes and veg...form into patties and fry for lunch!
    Leftover stirfry (nasi-goreng in our house) ...reheat and serve for lunch between two slices of bread.

I'll have to stop...I'm getting hungry.
    I did not know that mashed potato would be great tasting after freezing, must try it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dude, it's 5 years old. I'd say it tastes like mush now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

beertons wrote: »
    Dude, it's 5 years old. I'd say it tastes like mush now anyway!
    Does that matter, it is still a good subject,
    The air fryer is the way to go, for all your deep fat frying cooking, no waste of oil, and a healthy option to booth

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

goat2 wrote: »
    The air fryer is the way to go
    The airfryers are thermostatically controlled, many look at the power rating and wrongly think it will be 1,400W or whatever for the entire cooking time.

There is also rarely a need to preheat the airfryer as it heats up so quickly. Even in regular ovens most stuff does not really need preheating, some take longer some take less, you just have to learn your own times and figure out how long to leave in when a packet instruction says to preheat.

In the cooking forum I have mentioned buying whole chickens. I do not really like roast chicken breast as it comes out too dry. I got 2x2kg chickens in tesco for €8. So €4 each. I cut off the breast meat and freeze them or put in the fridge. I then roast the rest of it in the airfryer. This is extremely quick "butchering" with very little skill needed, as you are not cutting bone you can use a crappy knife or even a scissors. If you make a mess of cutting the meat off no problem, you can pick the remaining breast meat off the cooked chicken, I can do it properly if I spend time but do not bother.

I weighed the breasts on one and it was 630g. So if you just take the €4 price that is €6.35 per kilo for chicken breast, which is cheaper than most, so you basically get the rest of the chicken for free.

Advertisement