Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a noise complaint.

Options
  • 15-12-2013 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, was just wondering what happens when you make a noise complaint to the gaurds? It's now 4 in the morning and I have work in two and half hours and, for the 4th weekend on the trot, my downstairs neighbours have kept me all night playing music at an extremely unreasonable volume.
    I called my local gaurd station and they asked my apartment number and the whole lot... Will they tell the neighbours who called them or what will happen?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Hi, was just wondering what happens when you make a noise complaint to the gaurds? It's now 4 in the morning and I have work in two and half hours and, for the 4th weekend on the trot, my downstairs neighbours have kept me all night playing music at an extremely unreasonable volume.
    I called my local gaurd station and they asked my apartment number and the whole lot... Will they tell the neighbours who called them or what will happen?

Thanks.

Guards have no legal powers to make them turn it off. They can ask them to if they're not busy but if they're told to sod off, then that's the end of it.

It's the council that deals with noise issues. Contact the environmental services dept.

Have YOU asked your neighbour to turn down the music?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Guards have no legal powers to make them turn it off. They can ask them to if they're not busy but if they're told to sod off, then that's the end of it.

It's the council that deals with noise issues. Contact the environmental services dept.

Have YOU asked your neighbour to turn down the music?

Excellent and accurate advice. The Gardaí can request but that's as far as it goes. Of course if you go down and give this gent a bloody nose you will be in the slammer quick enough.
    Meanwhile your friendly environmental officer is at home in bed with the phone turned off until 9.00 am on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

You need to be talking to the landlord if the apartment is rented. If it's not then you need to be talking to a solicter (you might be doing that as well if the landlord isn't helpful). There is noise regulations but as the previous poster alluded to the councils basically don't enforce them as they should hence why you need a solicter. Have unfortunately been here and have the t-shirt...

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

If the behaviour is repeated and ongoing the gardai do have ways of dealing with it. Anti social behaviour warnings are made for just this sort of thing.

If a polite request from yourself or the gardai isn't having an effect it would be no harm in mentioning the ASBW next time you ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Bloodwing wrote: »
    If the behaviour is repeated and ongoing the gardai do have ways of dealing with it. Anti social behaviour warnings are made for just this sort of thing.

If a polite request from yourself or the gardai isn't having an effect it would be no harm in mentioning the ASBW next time you ring.

Asbo's aren't worth the paper they're written on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

This is one of our most common complaints here too....unfortunately as a call i's way down on the list, which pisses the callers off no end. Here there are local ordinances where we can tell them to turn it down/off. We actually have decibel meters in the cars to verify they are over the designated limit (measured at the property limit) between 2200 and 0700. We can issue a ticket, maximum fine of $1000 dollars. Only applies to residential areas though, so pubs/clubs/concerts are exempt.

Mostly a quick word from the officer to the effect of "please turn it down" does the trick, usually coupled with mutterings about the cops ruining all the fun.....

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

But asbow gives power to arrest after a warning gas been given !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

3fullback wrote: »

Is that your professional opinion even though you can't even spell the word

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

3fullback wrote: »

arrestable offence

an offence for which carries a sentence of at least five years' imprisonment (e.g. theft).

So. . 5yrs in the clink for playing a bit of Cliff Richard too loud on Stephens day.

Seems legit

pa990 wrote: »
    arrestable offence

an offence for which carries a sentence of at least five years' imprisonment (e.g. theft).

So. . 5yrs in the clink for playing a bit of Cliff Richard too loud on Stephens day.

Seems legit

Not every offence need carry 5 years, ie. arresting under the public order act

• Advertisement

lighterman wrote: »
    Is that your professional opinion even though you can't even spell the word

Cheers thanks for your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The second before you walk out your door at 6:30 you turn the stereo on full whack and leave the inconsiderate asshole with his head wrecked for 8 hrs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If there is a management company in charge of the complex get the e-mail address of the person who looks after the place and send him an e-mail everytime they kick off downstairs.
    Call the Garda everytime the noise starts, its true that they cannot MAKE them turn it down, but they might turn up to tell your neighbour that there is a complaint against them.
    Its a very difficult one to deal with, but I do know someone who found a way to deal with a few people who every weekend caused havoc with their parties and loud music....
    He found where the main electric meters were and beside them was each apartments main breaker switch. And the breaker for the offending apartment would somehow "trip out" about an hour or so into the party and as if by magic "untrip" itself the next morning while the knuckle draggers were asleep.
    This went on for a while, sometimes the partying would never get started because of the "dodgy" electrics being off when they got back from the pub.
    They soon moved out, too much attention from the Garda, too much attention from the prooerty management and... ehh some unsolved problems with the electrics, which somehow never affected the nice new quiet neighbours.
    True Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

I know your pain OP. The Landlord route worked quite successfully for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Thanks.

Nothing to do with AGS, its a civil matter, not criminal.

Speak with your neighbour and log this also, see how they respond.

Contact your Management Agent, start logging times and dates.

You can make a complaint to your local district court admin clerk, form will be given to complete,here is a link.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/si/0179.html

kravmaga wrote: »
    Nothing to do with AGS, its a civil matter, not criminal.

Speak with your neighbour and log this also, see how they respond.

Contact your Management Agent, start logging times and dates.

You can make a complaint to your local district court admin clerk, form will be given to complete,here is a link.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/si/0179.html

Under the Criminal Justice Act 2006 it is a Garda matter. It doesn't have to be a criminal offence for the Gardai to get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Under the Criminal Justice Act 2006 it is a Garda matter. It doesn't have to be a criminal offence for the Gardai to get involved.

What part of the act exactly?

I am afraid you are misinformed.
    From my own personal experience with dealing with AGS, management companies and landlords trying to sort out un-co-operative noisey tenants.
    If the Gardai turn up to "ask" someone to turn down the music and they are politely told no, there is nothing they can do about it there and then.

What part of the act exactly?

Section 114, behaviour warnings and orders. It won't work all the time and it certainly doesn't entitle the Gardai to walk into the house and turn off the music but depending on the type of person the warning is handed to it certainly can be effective.

I'm not saying it's perfect but it's not enough anymore to give the old "not a Garda matter" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

OP, is it possible that the loud music is accompanied by the smell of drugs? I'm pretty sure that would be a matter that the Gardaí would investigate.
    (Not that I would suggest wasting police time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Marquis de carabas

Section 114, behaviour warnings and orders. It won't work all the time and it certainly doesn't entitle the Gardai to walk into the house and turn off the music but depending on the type of person the warning is handed to it certainly can be effective.

I'm not saying it's perfect but it's not enough anymore to give the old "not a Garda matter" line.

Behaviour orders do not extend to actions on private property.

It won't work anytime!!
    What usually happens is, if the Gardai turn up, "most" people will turn it down out of thinking they are in trouble with the law or consideration.
    But if they are not abusive and do not give the Gardai reasons to suspect illegal activity they can politely say they will turn it down later and close the door.
    And thats a fact.

Behaviour orders do not extend to actions on private property.

They do. Maybe you could show me where in the act it says they don't. The only stipulation is the complainant cannot be of the same household as the person causing the behaviour.
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    It won't work anytime!!
    What usually happens is, if the Gardai turn up, "most" people will turn it down out of thinking they are in trouble with the law or consideration.
    But if they are not abusive and do not give the Gardai reasons to suspect illegal activity they can politely say they will turn it down later and close the door.
    And thats a fact.

The fact is they have worked for me. I've issued them for behaviour in public places and private homes. On one occasion the Super had to get an order in court every other time the issue of a verbal ASBW followed by service of the form later worked. They are especially effective if you're in an area with a lot of student accommodation where said students are of the opinion that we have no powers in relation to noise complaints.

The effectiveness of the orders is not the point here. The point I'm making is that persistent noisey parties (which is the O/Ps issue) is a considered anti social behaviour and therefore is a matter for the Gardai. The O/P has been told by others that it is not a Garda matter, that is incorrect information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

pa990 wrote: »
    arrestable offence

Seems legit

I know people with asbos and they are a badge of honour

Is for "in the clink" (best episode of the US office I have seen... Prison Mike) :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

Behaviour warnings are a joke, and a terribly written piece of law that is unworkable, the act give a Garda the power to demand the persons name but provides no power of arrest for refusal or providing a false name. So unless the person is personally known to the Gardai as the tenant/householder its a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pretty sure they don't provide us with power of entry, by force if necessary...

So if they close the door, even while attempting to effect an ASBW, there's nothing we can do. We could call back the following day, but realistically, who's to blame?

So the key point here is enforcement and clarity of the law (again) and it is fully agreed that playing music loud is a disturbance and a nuisance.
    I have seen warnings (asbo or the first warning of one) to nuisance neighbours, but it was usually where some trouble had kicked off as a result of them being asked to turn down the music / noise levels late at night.
    I have seen members of AGS standing outside doors, frustrated because there was little to nothing they could do because the ONLY issue was music being too loud.
    In the end, for most of the noisey tenants it was a warning of having them up in front of the PRTB with the records of all the complaints against them if they did not quieten down or move out.

Noise nuisance or pollution, whatever you want to call it, is not a criminal matter. Therefore not an AGS issue.

Its a civil matter, ring your local Garda station and ask the station sergeant if you dont believe me.

Your getting mixed up here, Adult Behaviour Warnings and Orders relate to person/s engaging in Anti-social behaviour , i.e. disorderly youths on an estate or outside a shop.

Nothing to do with Noise Nuisance/ Pollution.

As I said earlier you get a form and log times/dates for a district court sitting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Tap needs lots of practice. I'd suggest consistent practice every day from about 5am until you go to work. Think of all the gym fees you'll save. :cool:

Learn to Tapdance

Advertisement