Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expert says you can't make money on Yellow/Red cards

Options
  • 12-12-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

This article made me laugh
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25339340

Quote " is (it) actually possible to make substantial amounts of money by betting on yellow and red cards? The answer - and the awkward truth - is that it is impossible. No matter which expert is asked, they all say the same."

Has nobody heard of Betfair?
    If I knew someone was going to shift a red card I could make a packet laying the booking index 0-25 points. All I need is another card and I'm a winner.

The article was written by "Ed Hawkins Sports betting expert".
    Expert my elbow. With these experts writing such articles, it'll never be taken seriously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

jacool wrote: »

Quote " is (it) actually possible to make substantial amounts of money by betting on yellow and red cards? The answer - and the awkward truth - is that it is impossible. No matter which expert is asked, they all say the same."

If I knew someone was going to shift a red card I could make a packet laying the booking index 0-25 points. All I need is another card and I'm a winner.

Expert my elbow. With these experts writing such articles, it'll never be taken seriously.

Link not working for me from the phone but I assume its in relation to the current scandals sorrounding the Championship and Lower league allegations?

If so I would agree with Hawkins, that market wouldnt be available for the majority of those games on Betfair and if they are I can't imagine the Liquidity been anywhere near enough to make a substantial amount from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

jacool wrote: »

The liquidity is terrible in these markets, and I think they don't offer index markets anymore anyway! So, the article is correct, it's impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I think the idea was, if you knew a red card was coming, you would lay the team that the player will be sent off from and/or back the other team.
    The price movement would be enough to guarantee a profit but would
    be dependent on the liquidity for that fixture.

Advertisement