Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jupiter Ascending - Wachowski Siblings

Options
  • 10-12-2013 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

Did a search but the title came up blank. Apologies if thread already exists. Anyway new trailer is up. I think I will be giving this one a miss. Not a fan of either Mila Kunis or Channing Tatum. How those two get roles is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlgOeYrr-vk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Did a search but the title came up blank. Apologies if thread already exists. Anyway new trailer is up. I think I will be giving this one a miss. Not a fan of either Mila Kunis or Channing Tatum. How those two get roles is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlgOeYrr-vk

Thought it wasnt that bad of a trailer,going to give it a spin if only because they made the matrix!
    Not being funny but its not the Wachowski brothers anymore.Larry is now Lana.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I actually really like Tatum - though mostly for his comedic roles. No idea why he seems to look like Mr. Tumnus though.

I will always give the Wachowski siblings the time of day after The Matrix, which I still consider one of my favourite films.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I like sci-fi and this looks interesting to me, will keep an eye on how this one goes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, title should probably be changed as they're not brothers anymore; I'll give credit to the two siblings, their CV since the Matrix has been interesting to say the least and they appear broadly unafraid to take a creative leap into the unknown - step forward Speed Racer on that score. I quite liked their V for Vendetta adaptation even if many didn't (including Alan Moore but that's taken for granted really) and while I didn't get around to seeing Cloud Atlas, it seemed to cause enough of a reaction from audiences that it couldn't be accused of simply passing people by. I guess since the Matrix they've acquired enough clout, financial or otherwise, to basically do their own thing. Although that also involved making the Matrix sequels, which is a helluva black mark.

I'll be honest though; if someone puts together a trailer that presents a splashy, over the top Space Opera with big, creative visuals and imagination, I'm going to be all over that in a second. It has been a barren year for big budget Sci-Fi, and if a studio's taking a punt on something with a little flourish and visual flair, they have my support. I'm sure it'll be total bobbins, but who knows it could be enjoyable for what it is; pulp Sci Fi doesn't get enough love...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^ they only produced V for Vendetta I think, but I thought it was good adaptation too and their stamp was all over it.

I think this looks promising, I quite liked Cloud Atlas and the Wachowskis aren't afraid to take risks with big budget projects. Even the matrix sequels, which I'm not really a fan of, at least cant be faulted for their ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ^^ they only produced V for Vendetta I think, but I thought it was good adaptation too and their stamp was all over it.

Naw they wrote the script, and did second-unit work too. Seemed like a production they pretty much owned apart from sitting in the big chair.

I think I'm the only one that thoroughly enjoyed Speed Racer. Sure, there was a tonne wrong with it, but it was absolutely stunning to look at, with the racing scenes being a visual pleasure to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

pixelburp wrote: »
    I quite liked their V for Vendetta adaptation even if many didn't (including Alan Moore but that's taken for granted really)

yeah but to be fair to Moore, the V movie was very different and took an awful lot of liberties, it was a great movie in it's own right and by far the best the best adaptation of his work, but it's not really the story he wanted to tell and Moore's had a pretty bad run with the movie industry. From Hell had only the title and jack the ripper in common with his book, and the less said about the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen the better.

/comicbook nerd.
    I think this looks promising, I quite liked Cloud Atlas and the Wachowskis aren't afraid to take risks with big budget projects. Even the matrix sequels, which I'm not really a fan of, at least cant be faulted for their ambition.

I'd love to see them work with a smaller budget again, because without all the budget and special effects, behind it all they're still incredible storytellers and to me one of the most criminally underrated movies ever is Bound:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Wonder at what point will Sean Bean die!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, title should probably be changed as they're not brothers anymore; I'll give credit to the two siblings,

Oops changed.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    I actually really like Tatum - though mostly for his comedic roles. No idea why he seems to look like Mr. Tumnus though.

I will always give the Wachowski siblings the time of day after The Matrix, which I still consider one of my favourite films.

I've no doubt it will look visually stunning but having more than one wooden actor in a movie is a mistake. Kunis is the female version of Tatum. I know they have their fans but I wouldn't be among them. Strange casting considering the excellent casting in Cloud Atlas.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tatum and Kunis are both very good actors from what I've seen of their work.

Tatum and Kunis are both very good actors from what I've seen of their work.

Glad you have enjoyed their performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It looked well done. Stylistically looks great. While the Wachowskis gave us the great "Bound" and, of course, the iconic "The Matrix" when given free reign they tend loose all restraint. Never forget The Matrix sequels or Speed Racer.

As someone said above, the look reminds of the future in cloud Atlas.

I'm not going to write it off. But I am cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,151 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nice to see Terry Gilliam is in this too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Wachowski Siblings: Nice way around the potential PC pitfall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

It looks ok from the trailer anyway. Seems like the kind of sci fi, i'd like.
    I'll have to keep an eye out for it during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Links234 wrote: »
    yeah but to be fair to Moore, the V movie was very different and took an awful lot of liberties, it was a great movie in it's own right and by far the best the best adaptation of his work, but it's not really the story he wanted to tell and Moore's had a pretty bad run with the movie industry. From Hell had only the title and jack the ripper in common with his book, and the less said about the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen the better.

/comicbook nerd.

I'd love to see them work with a smaller budget again, because without all the budget and special effects, behind it all they're still incredible storytellers and to me one of the most criminally underrated movies ever is Bound:

Need to check this out, hopefully tonight!

Another trailer's out, showing more spacey shenanigans and FX money-shots: I'm keen to see how this works out because there are few enough original IPs in genre cinema as it is, so fingers crossed - even if it looks a bit bananas. You wait ages for some new Space Opera, then two come along at once (this, Guardians of the Galaxy and the slim hopes EpisodeVII might be good...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That does look better than the previous trailer though?

• Advertisement

It looks daft, I can't wait. Also excited to see how Sean Bean will die in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

It looks daft, I can't wait. Also excited to see how Sean Bean will die in this.

Sean Bean Ascending?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

put back to February 2015 due to needing more "CGI work" :rolleyes:;)
    http://variety.com/2014/film/news/jupiter-ascending-delayed-until-february-2015-1201211461/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The dreaded February graveyard slot, doesn't bode well

krudler wrote: »
    The dreaded February graveyard slot, doesn't bode well

No no this is good, it could mean the studio have no idea how to sell it, much like Cloud Atlas. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Makes sense to capitalise on the pancake Tuesday holiday season, a period oft neglected by the big studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

So, anyone still looking forward to Jupiter Ascending here? Is it just me, or is the marketing campaign really lacklustre? I don’t get Warner’s strategy with this… they went to the siblings asking for a big scifi blockbuster, and now they’re almost flushing it down the toilets before it even comes out… how hard could it be to advertise the new space opera film from the Matrix creators, seriously?

I personally can’t wait, being a big fan of the Wachowski's work as a whole. I basically like all the films they directed, including the Matrix sequels (even though I think all three films should always be considered one entity) and Speed Racer.

I’ll probably try to see this one in IMAX, on opening weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pretty meh on this one if I'm honest. Had seen a trailer a while back and failed to catch me. Saw the latest trailer before the Hobbit recently, and again failed to really grasp me.

Girlfriend enjoyed Divergent so might be something she will take me too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Have caught the second trailer a lot in the cinema recently, it looks absolutely nuts and I can't wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The first reviews are coming in, mostly positive.

Advertisement