Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1" Weldmesh floor on chicken house

Options
  • 09-12-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I have a homemade chicken house for about 8 birds, to currently has a removable ply floor over a pallet, its on bike wheels, which puts the floor a foot off the ground. its a pain to clean & it pop is wet they dirty the eggs in the nest box.
    I was thinking of cutting out the floor & putting in weldmesh in its place & reinforce the floor with scrap steel, this should alloy poo to fall through, the house is moved every so often.

My question is would it be too cold for the chucks ?? Current ventilation is slits front & back over there head.
    There would be less places for red mite to hide

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Their feathers are like a duvet, so I dont think our climate could be too cold really. Hens fare better in cold than in too much heat. Im not sure I can visualize what you are proposing - would their feet/claws not catch on mesh? If there was a skirmish to get out of the coop in the mornings, could mesh on the floor damage a nail/claw? If there is steel in the floor, and it freezes, that would be not a good idea!?

You can get a rollaway type of nest box, so when the egg is laid it rolls to the back of the box, keeping it clean. If the box is so dirty that its causing the eggs to get dirty, I would suggest that you line the boxes with straw/shredded paper or whatever and tip the poop off every morning. Dirty eggs can be an issue (allowing bacteria in if 'shell seal' compromised) Anyway, I digress....

Advertisement