Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Afghanistan Intercontinental Cup FINAL Dec 10-14th 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Much more sensible batting from this pair. Openers need to take a look at themselves and ask some questions as to why they felt the need to approach a five day match with T20 batting.

Need to keep this going and look to extend the lead to 300+ if possible. The pitch obviously isnt as bad as both team made it look in the first innings. Plenty of time left in this game yet; the aim now should be to bat out the next 3 sessions at least and leave ourselves with a healthy total to defend and enough time to take 10 wickets.

KevIRL wrote: »
    If it finishes in a draw then who wins the trophy and title? Is it shared or is there some funky points system to decide who wins, might explain Ireland going for it even with so long to play.

I remember once Ireland declared when behind in an ICC match as it suited their points requirement to chase down a big second innings lead and it worked out too

If its a draw then the team who finished top of the league table (Ireland) wins.

If its a tie then its shared.

Makes batting them out of the game even more important if we only need to draw. Should really be going for the win though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I find it impossible to see this ending in a draw. Ireland just need to be sensible tomorrow. There is all the time in the world to accumulate a match winning total.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Wickets falling, but kevin scoring boundaries and the lead is up to 300.
    298/7

I think 350 will be enough, but Afghanistan can take the new ball.
    Which could wrap up innings or fly even quicker off Kevin's bat!

I was hoping to see us bat out the day tbh given the position that we were in this morning. I suspect youre right; 350 probably would be enough, but Afghanistan are no mugs, and with two full days after this we should have been looking to bat this game out of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Bad over there. 2 wickets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think the lead is enough to bowl at anyway, they were poor their first innings and I would back the bowlers to drag us through any day

Not exactly putting our best foot forward with regards to showing the world we can be a Test playing nation though

Followed by a 16 run over. Johnston connecting well.

Lead 346

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Agreed, we could have done nicely with occupying the crease for the day. As things stand, who knows - the Afghans should have plenty of time.

Well done to Johnston again btw, his runs have been massive

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    I think the lead is enough to bowl at anyway, they were poor their first innings and I would back the bowlers to drag us through any day

Not exactly putting our best foot forward with regards to showing the world we can be a Test playing nation though

We were also poor in the first innings lets not forget! They have a lot of time to knock off these runs; we are going to have to bowl well on what would seem to be a decent batting surface.

I dont know if its the change of mentality or what; I know even going from playing four day to five day cricket is a change of pace, but I expected both teams to put up a better showing than this. Hangover from a long tour and long T20 tournament maybe?

What a first over!!

4 0 4 0 W

Oh well, the Afghans seem to be in same frame of mind - get it over quickly, one way or the other!

31-1 at tea. We need at least 1 but ideally more wickets before stumps

31-1 at tea. We need at least 1 but ideally more wickets before stumps

If we can get them to around 60-3 it would be a very good platform to get in to them tomorrow.

Theyre rattling along at a fair pace at the moment. 46/1 from 9 overs.

3 wickets down now. Positive signs

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Both these teams badly need more exposure to first class cricket. Both seem intent to finish a 5 day game inside 3! In honesty it's a bit amateurish at the minute! Afghanistan in particular seem to feel the need to hit every ball for 4! Porterfield and Stirling were the same for Ireland. NOB and Joyce were the exceptions, it's no coincidence they have the most county cricket experience.

It shows how vital a good first class structure is going to be to Irelands chances of playing first class cricket, you can't play tests based on 50 over performances!

4 down - Maybe they're trying to get home tonight!! :)

4 down now.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Both these teams badly need more exposure to first class cricket. Both seem intent to finish a 5 day game inside 3! In honesty it's a bit amateurish at the minute! Afghanistan in particular seem to feel the need to hit every ball for 4! Porterfield and Stirling were the same for Ireland. NOB and Joyce were the exceptions, it's no coincidence they have the most county cricket experience.

It shows how vital a good first class structure is going to be to Irelands chances of playing first class cricket, you can't play tests based on 50 over performances!

I know we are digressing but I don't want test status yet. We need full ODI and T20 tours every year to get us more experience with the big boys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

HonalD wrote: »
    I know we are digressing but I don't want test status yet. We need full ODI and T20 tours every year to get us more experience with the big boys.

And we won't get that without Full Member status, which currently means tests. If that changes, we're in a much better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

HonalD wrote: »

I'd argue playing them solely in ODIs and T20 doesn't help our test cause. Look at Stirling, very good in limited over cricket, struggles in the longer format. He for example could do with more exposure to first class cricket. I'd much prefer 4 day games against strong A sides

To be honest, I think this game is showing that both ourselves and Afghanistan could do with playing a bit more 4-5 day cricket and a bit less of the ODI stuff.

What really needs to happen is some sort of bridge status probably needs to be formed, where the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan can play regular first class 4-5 day games against test nations (even A teams), just to get the experience necessary to make the step up. At the moment we play a lot of ODI/T20 cricket, and what cricket we do play in the longer format tends to be against teams that we are beating easily (no offense to the other associates!). We need another level to challenge us before we are properly ready to make that step up to full test status.

Its a shame that the test nations dont seem to be all that interested in helping us out, however I guess they have their own ridiculous over-packed schedules to worry about also!

Great minds eh Wicorthered ;)

211 needed by Afghanistan tomorrow with 5 wickets left.

Early wicket in the morning would be lovely

Early wicket in the morning would be lovely

and TJ to get the last one!

I'd argue playing them solely in ODIs and T20 doesn't help our test cause. Look at Stirling, very good in limited over cricket, struggles in the longer format. He for example could do with more exposure to first class cricket. I'd much prefer 4 day games against strong A sides

That makes sense but at the moment we are only set up for ODI or T20 matches against the big boys. We wouldn't have a hope in a 5 day game. And how do we improve our 5 day form, concentrate less on ODIs etc.

Unfortunately, the exposure needed for Stirling (for example) will only be provided by the ECB and we know where that will lead....

• Advertisement

Not a great start today at all. Hoped to wake up to the game being over.

Need to break this partnership soon and get into the tail as quickly as possible

Advertisement