Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - Marlay Park, June 2014!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Wellyd wrote: »
    Did anybody park for the concert last night? I'm heading to KOL on Friday and my boyfriend is driving so we're trying to figure out the best option for where to park.

There are official car parks signposted , they were about half full by the time we got there around 4 15 but I'd say there wasn't any space left by the time Pixies ended so get there early, considering Friday evening traffic in Dublin too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Just saw one of the arcade fire band members coming out of one of the houses on Townsend street with his guitar. Suppose its cool they choose to stay with friends rather than in hotels, I'd imagine that becomes a major pain after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Did anybody park for the concert last night? I'm heading to KOL on Friday and my boyfriend is driving so we're trying to figure out the best option for where to park.

We drove, parked at the official carpark which is in the park. Just follow the signs when you get off the motorway. Its free parking and it was super easy to get out at the end of the gig too.

We got there at about 5.30 and there was still over half a field of empty spaces behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

threein99 wrote: »
    Easy solution to this, smuggle in hip flasks

Well everybody without exception going into the gig had their bag searched and prison pat down that were so intimate that I thought they were going to charge me for 'extras'.
    It's not as easy to smuggle in booze to a gig these days thanks to the goons at the Swedish House Mafia gig which made event planners super cautious about security.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I got there at 3pm cos I wanted to make sure I got in the pit. Just assumed there was going to be one cos there always is in Marlay Park. Meant that I was up the front, about four or five people from the front for the whole thing.

The Pixies really phoned it in. I've seen them twice in the past year in smaller indoor venues and in both cases they blew the roof off. There was something about Marlay that just didn't work though. It was solid, with a few great moments, but they never quite got the intensity going. Ham Sandwich and Tvvins were both unexpected excellent, especially HS.

AF were brilliant - one of the best performances I've seen from them. Setlist was great (except for Rococo - ugh). Reflektor works so well live, which I'd been a bit wary about. Highlights for me were Haiti, Power Out, Here Comes The Night Time, Intervention - ah, just about everything really! Loved getting covered in confetti at the end.

On the bad side, what was up with the crowd? There were loads of guys completely off their faces trying to push through and getting really aggro up where we were. There were at least two times where it looked like a fight was going to break out. This was all during AF by the way, there was no hassle during Pixies. So weird, and it put a bit of a downer on some parts of the show.

Transport-wise, we parked in Ballinteer Shopping Centre cos it was only about an 8 minute walk away from the gate at Marlay, and it was grand, we flew home. We had thought about parking in one of the estates beside the park but gardaí had blocked off all the roads into them (which was fair enough).

Overall: 8.5/10. Maybe a 9.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I was very surprised by the lack of taxis about after the gig. I expected to see hundreds of them. We were heading for Stillorgan so walked toward a 75 stop but it was 25 mins away so when we saw an empty taxi we grabbed that instead. Glad we did as my 1 year old was just starting to get a bit panicky a couple of minutes before we got in.

I suspect that the weekend crackdown by the Guards on illegal taxi operators that saw a couple of thousand cabs disappear from the streets no doubt had an effect.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

conorhal wrote: »
    Well everybody without exception going into the gig had their bad searcheed and prison pat down that were so intimate that I thought they were going to charge me for 'extras'.
    It's not as easy to smuggle in booze to a gig these days thanks to the goons at the Swedish House Mafia gig which made event planners super cautious about security.

Not me! Security guard took one look at me and waved me thru.

Not me! Security guard took one look at me and waved me thru.

You must have an honest face, I'm not sure what that says about me... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Where did you see the attendance figures?

Met a mate working on the management of the event for a beer afterwards, they had a figure of just under 33k reported from the ticket scanning system.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

was the tiniest bit worried about last night after seeingg the glastonbury set.... somebody earlier said the setlist was 'all over the place' - it sure was and it worked brilliantly.... must be my 6th or 7th time seeing them and last nifght was certainly up there - the crowd, if they were poor, didn't bother me in the slightest! my knees hurt tho....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭deisedude

andreac wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if there was anything other than beer and wine to drink? Im going to Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon and I don't drink either :-(
    Would like to have even a couple of drinks there. Someone thinks there was Vodka and Redbull on sale, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

No, it was just beer and wine. Same myself dont drink either but there was no spirits at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

deisedude wrote: »
    No, it was just beer and wine. Same myself dont drink either but there was no spirits at all

I think thats terrible. There should be more options as not everyone drinks wine or beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

conorhal wrote: »
    Well everybody without exception going into the gig had their bag searched and prison pat down that were so intimate that I thought they were going to charge me for 'extras'.

I find a hip flask down the front of my jocks works a treat. Also if you can find those resealable pouch drinks like Capri sun pouches with lids also down the jocks, they work great half fill them and push the air out and they role up really small.

To sum up put it down your jocks and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Wake Up on it's own was worth the trip! I thought Arcade Fire were amazing, was let down by Pixies, but ah well, a great day all in all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

One thing I'd like to highlight in this thread for people who may go to Marley Park for Arctic Monkeys or Kanye West. Do not, unless you want a scenic tour along the M50, go out the exit of Marley Park near the stage. I made this awful mistake and ended up doing a full circle around Marley Park, taking me nearly an hour, with a few other hundred people, who wanted to get buses and missed the few that went.

I have no idea why it wasn't signposted that that exit wasn't any use to anyone who didn't want the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

threein99 wrote: »
    I find a hip flask down the front of my jocks works a treat. Also if you can find those resealable pouch drinks like Capri sun pouches with lids also down the jocks, they work great half fill them and push the air out and they role up really small.

To sum up put it down your jocks and you should be fine.

Ssshhh, don't be telling people... ;)

Yarghhh wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to highlight in this thread for people who may go to Marley Park for Arctic Monkeys or Kanye West. Do not, unless you want a scenic tour along the M50, go out the exit of Marley Park near the stage. I made this awful mistake and ended up doing a full circle around Marley Park, taking me nearly an hour, with a few other hundred people, who wanted to get buses and missed the few that went.

I have no idea why it wasn't signposted that that exit wasn't any use to anyone who didn't want the car park.

Probably because most people went out the way they came in if they wanted to get back to where they started. The main entrance adjacent to the manor house was very clearly available for use as an exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

stop wrote: »

Dublin Bus should have had buses lined up to catch the crowd, and advertised it! Even if they're not the official transport partner or anything, nothing stopping them sticking a few extra buses on to cater for demand.

It's not really fair to blame Dublin Bus. If they saturate the area with buses they are accused of taking business from the private operator who is running the shuttle service. It seems they threw on some extra buses to help out, but they can't advertise an increase in a scheduled 16 service when there is a private operator licensed to operate the Marlay Park shuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I will admit to fairly enjoying Arcade Fire but not being hugely into them. I saw them at Primavera but was sitting down fairly far away so only thought they were alright but last night they just blew me away. Was really close up the front and I thought they completely connected with the crowd there. I was with a large group consisting mostly of AF & Pixies lovers and everyone danced and sang along like mad for most of the set, it was great! Great weather for it too and a lovely setup!

Didn't get home till 2am though as we mistakenly thought it would be a great idea to go out the exit behind the stage and by the time we got out the front there were no buses or taxis. Very similar to what someone posted earlier, had to walk to Rathfarnham and hailO taxis from there. Ah well, worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Arrived in just when Ham Sandwich were starting and heard a great day of music.

1st time seeing Ham Sandwich and thought they were absolutely brilliant. No doubt I'll go see them headline their own show. Really excellent!

Pixies I wasn't really sure what to expect.. have heard mixed things about them live but Dolittle is still one of my favourite albums and really enjoyed them. Probably my least favourite of the three acts I saw but not disappointed with them in the slightest. Would have liked to have heard Debaser though!

Arcade Fire were just top-notch.. second time having seen them. Saw them play Phoenix Park on the Neon Bible tour (and was due to see them in Lisbon for The Suburbs tour but was cancelled). I wasn't a big fan of the latest album and their show is a bit more theatrical this time around, but it was still excellent. Even the new stuff sounded better live IMO. Still, songs for the night for me were Power Out, Tunnels, Rebellion, Wake Up, Sprawl 2m Haiti.. so many really!

Got a bus leaving Custom House at 3.45pm and still didn't arrive out til 4.35pm.. out the port tunnel and the M50. Was a bit random but we assumed it was due to traffic for the match yesterday. There was tons of buses after the gig and got one no hassle, but sister got a taxi and it took her 90 minutes to eventually get one. Definitely sounded like a nightmare!

Anyways - great music, few pints and beautiful weather.. couldn't have asked for a better way to spend a Sunday,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Port tunnel and M50???

That's mental. From the Customs House, that's going the completely wrong direction to Marlay Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rojerdandry

That exit beside the stage got me too - half an hour to walk back to the front and then a trudge to Rathfarnham! Disaster - seriously consider never going to Marlay again...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

I parked in dundrum shopping centre and got a 8euro cab to the venue, and same back again afterwards (although we left after an hour of AF, taxis everwhere before the road closed). Parking from 2pm to 10pm was 8euros, the car park is open all night.

I couldn't find any info about a carpark for concert-goers although I didn't exactly look very hard. Another poster above said there is a concert carpark.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I think thats terrible. There should be more options as not everyone drinks wine or beer.

There are shops and food outlets which sell bottles of coke and water etc.

Also, waited for 45 minutes to an hour for a 14 bus to get back to the City Centre, only for it to drive by while not completely full. Ended up having to walk for ages with a few other people to the Milltown road before Hailo was able to pick up a taxi. Hopefully taxi drivers will find out about how bad it was and head to the area the next time there's a gig on on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Getting there and back again was a bit of a hassle alright. Got a packed 16 out and thought I was going to pass out with the heat before we even got there. Got a lift home but trying to figure out where would be best to be picked up was tricky. I don't know if we were in front of a taxi on the road or what but it seemed like a lot of people were trying to hail us down on our way back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

andrew wrote: »

I mean alcoholic drinks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Oisin1001

andrew wrote: »

If you're looking for Coke, do yourself a favour and get it from the Coca-Cola stand to the left of the stage. I bought a bottle of Fanta from one of the burger spots, and it was definitely watered down, not to mention that it cost more!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We got the shuttle bus what an absolute disaster it took us 3 hours to get from O'Connell St to Marley park in the end ran into someone there who said it took them less time to there from Cork! The queue management at the Quays was an absolute disaster people were just jumping ahead all over the place we got stuck fenced in at the "front" of the cash line while all the people turning up and buying their passes behind us would just then go and jump into the queue with the pre-book people. Coming back was just as bad too they the railings set up to allow for two lines to be boarding buses at one time and then only used one? There should have been at least 3 lines boarding considering the number of people who were getting them. Their token pass checking was a joke as well there were plenty of people just getting on without any pass or having to pay.

Because of the buses only just arrived in time for Pixies. Arcade Fire were excellent. Pixies went through the motions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

A pair of boxers and baggy trousers/skirt worked very well for the people I was with

• Advertisement

Yes absolutely, I was at Elbow on Wednesday with the same bar arrangement. My OH only drinks cider and there wasnt an option for her. Of course they wont let you bring it in either so what are people to do? Get tanked up beforehand?

She had a couple of white wines but it was god awful pish.

Advertisement