Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL Modem - Magnet Networks - Technicolor Modem

Options
  • 06-12-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi there,

I recently upgraded to Magnet Fatpipe, received a Thompson Technicolor 589 modem.

The magnet modem I had previously was locked down and using DHCP issued public IP addresses on its four fixed Ethernet ports. This was perfect for me needs. I have a Juniper SSG firewall and internal network with PoE supporting WiFi Access Points throughout the house.

This setup allowed to use PAT/NAT for external access and allowing internal applications access to port ranges, and remote access(RDP) to servers from the outside. The Juniper SSG is complex, but very configurable.

The Technicolor device has proven to be a piece of sh1t and will not operate in bridged mode or able to allocate a public IP address to routing other devices, either directly of using PPPoE.

Question: Has anyone purchased an alternative VDSL modem/router in place of the stock issue from their provider(Eircom, Magnet, Vodafone, etc.)?

I don't need wireless or to connect to any internal devices, just to give my firewall a public IP address.

From reading other posts, I see that vectoring must be supported by modems next year. I wonder how many of the commercially devices support this?

Your insight would be most appreciated,

trister

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're looking for a Draytek. AFAIK the 2850 supports vectoring and has every feature under the sun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Is the Draytek any good for uTorrent users who seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Carrig1

You will need a Draytek with vn after the numbers like a Draytek Vigor 2830Vn. The problem is that Magnet don't give out the settings. I bought a Draytek 2850 and could not get it to work. It could see the line and the speed it should be running at, but magnet point blank refused to give me the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Carrig1 wrote: »
    You will need a Draytek with vn after the numbers like a Draytek Vigor 2830Vn. The problem is that Magnet don't give out the settings. I bought a Draytek 2850 and could not get it to work. It could see the line and the speed it should be running at, but magnet point blank refused to give me the settings.

Why the hell would they do that. Unless they dont want to support the 5% that decide to splash for a dray. Which they could easily say("You can use it but you're on your own").

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trister

ED E, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Pricy modem, but if works it will be worth it for me. Won't require wireless from it so will probably be the Vigor2850.

Carrig1, from what i can see the V in "Vn" denotes voice(phone can be plugged in) and the n in "Vn" denoted 802.11n wireless. Neither of those are a requirement for me.

Regarding Magnet settings, I rang support for the admin password to the modem, they gave it to me. I then emailed them and said somthing along the lines of I'm not expecting them to support me if I go messing with settings, they then sent me DSLUsername and DSLpassword(PPP). Worth emailing them at support@magnet.ie, it might depend on the support person you get. I think all other settings can be taken from your current modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alzone

trister wrote: »
    ED E, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Pricy modem, but if works it will be worth it for me. Won't require wireless from it so will probably be the Vigor2850.

Carrig1, from what i can see the V in "Vn" denotes voice(phone can be plugged in) and the n in "Vn" denoted 802.11n wireless. Neither of those are a requirement for me.

Regarding Magnet settings, I rang support for the admin password to the modem, they gave it to me. I then emailed them and said somthing along the lines of I'm not expecting them to support me if I go messing with settings, they then sent me DSLUsername and DSLpassword(PPP). Worth emailing them at support@magnet.ie, it might depend on the support person you get. I think all other settings can be taken from your current modem.

Just wondering if you were able to get the Bridge mode working with your new modem?

Magnet gave me the PPOE settings (Username/ Password) then I changed their modem was into Bridged mode and to mine the only settings changed was the PPOE connections + MTU settings. However the modem I want to use is unable to get a public IP...

I tried the same thing with the Technicolor modem supplied by Magnet. Got all the PPPoE credentials and put the 589 into bridged mode. Put all the relevant credentials into my Juniper SSG5 but didn't work. The Juniper has always worked as expected but never had it using PPPoE.

Started messing around with the backup config files of the Technicolor and uploading it back into the modem to see if that would work for Public IP address pass-through, no luck there either.

Decided not to waste any more time on the Magnet provided Technicolor and placed an order for DrayTek Vigor 2860 ADSL/VDSL Firewall/Router from Dabs.ie, €230 delivered. Having read the manual, it seems to do everything I need to do, port forwarding , etc, internal routing. It has a Ethernet WAN port as well as a VDSL WAN port, so if I do move away from VDSL connection, the modem can still be used if ISP provides with with a Ethernet connection.

When it arrives and is configured, I'll post the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Alzone wrote: »
    Just wondering if you were able to get the Bridge mode working with your new modem?

Magnet gave me the PPOE settings (Username/ Password) then I changed their modem was into Bridged mode and to mine the only settings changed was the PPOE connections + MTU settings. However the modem I want to use is unable to get a public IP...

ask them for their VLAN settings

most vdsl2+ modems need to use 0 and 10

Thank you both for your answers.

Just rang them and asked about the VLAN and I was told that they can't give more information than the PPPOE settings...

Will test out the VLAN 0/10. I just wonder if 2 VLANs need to be created or one will suffice?

From this thread (Eircom fiber) they also mentioned one VLAN in the settings:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86951372

Did an export of the config from magnets Technicolor TG589vn and found the following information-

"ifconfig intf=PPPoE user=acountnumber@magnet.ie password=password"

accountnumber and password, magnet will email you

"ifconfig intf=PPPoE mtu=1492" - MTU=1492 - this differs from eircoms MTU of 1484, I wonder if this difference will make a difference, I'd say if there are problems with the connection, reduce the size to 1484

"ifconfig intf=eth_tag dest=eth_vdsl vlan=vlan_Internet"
    "add name=vlan_Internet vid=10 brname=bridge addrule=disabled"

So VLAN=10 , seems to be consistent with eircom and vodafone

I will not be able to test this till my new modem arrives, will post with results.

• Advertisement

Did an export of the config from magnets Technicolor TG589vn and found the following information-

"ifconfig intf=PPPoE user=acountnumber@magnet.ie password=password"

accountnumber and password, magnet will email you

"ifconfig intf=PPPoE mtu=1492" - MTU=1492 - this differs from eircoms MTU of 1484, I wonder if this difference will make a difference, I'd say if there are problems with the connection, reduce the size to 1484

"ifconfig intf=eth_tag dest=eth_vdsl vlan=vlan_Internet"
    "add name=vlan_Internet vid=10 brname=bridge addrule=disabled"

So VLAN=10 , seems to be consistent with eircom and vodafone

I will not be able to test this till my new modem arrives, will post with results.

Thanks Trister, I might give it a try tonight or Saturday morning.

Will you say that the settings should be entered into Magnet's modem or mine or both?I am not sure how this set up could done.

I was thinking to do the following on Magnet's router:
    1. Disable Wireless
    2. Disable NAT
    3. Turn On Bridging Mode
    4. VLAN 10 ?

My Router:
    1. PPOE Settings
    2. MTU 1492
    3. VLAN 10 ?

Any comments are appreciated :)

Alzone wrote: »
    Thanks Trister, I might give it a try tonight or Saturday morning.

Will you say that the settings should be entered into Magnet's modem or mine or both?I am not sure how this set up could done.

I was thinking to do the following on Magnet's router:
    1. Disable Wireless
    2. Disable NAT
    3. Turn On Bridging Mode
    4. VLAN 10 ?

My Router:
    1. PPOE Settings
    2. MTU 1492
    3. VLAN 10 ?

Any comments are appreciated :)

Guessing here as I will be not using the magnet modem at all, just the DrayTek I have on order.

1. Disable Wireless - No need, keeping it on will allow you quick access to the admin of the Technicolor modem
    2. Disable NAT - Yes
    3. Turn On Bridging Mode - Yes
    4. VLAN 10 - No, I think VLAN is set with PPPoE

My Router:
    1. PPOE Settings - Username and Password, DHCP enabled
    2. MTU 1492 - Yes, this seems to be default, lower if issues
    3. VLAN 10 - Yes, if your router supports, my Juniper SSG doesn't seem to, so glade I got a new one on order.

It will be interesting to see if you get it working, I'm sure there are/will be(when they switch to FTTC) that will want to user their own router

A bit more information:

1. Disable Wireless - No need, keeping it on will allow you quick access to the admin of the Technicolor modem, until you have everything working, switch off then so it's not interfering with your own wireless.
    2. Disable NAT - Yes
    3. Turn On Bridging Mode - Yes
    4. VLAN 10 - No, I think VLAN is set with PPPoE, *nearly sure now*.

My Router:
    1. PPOE Settings - Username and Password, DHCP enabled
    2. MTU 1492 - Yes, this seems to be default, lower if issues
    3. VLAN 10 - Yes (Magnet support can't confirm, because they simply don't know, they "don't configure the modems" so can't give out that info, however they "haven't heard anything back from people who were intending to try VLAN 10" - referred to 802.1Q (Tag) on some modems.

There seems to be some confusion between VLAN 0 versus - or - and VLAN 10, I'm guessing this is confusion between VLAN Tagging (802.1Q) and prioritis(z)ation (802.1p).

Magnet support mentioned that customers were checking if it was VLAN 10 or VLAN 0, or combined. My guess that it is VLAN = 10 and priritiz(s)ation = 0(default)

So,

VLAN - (802.1Q) = 10
    Priortiriz(s)ation - (802.1p) = 0

Thanks Trister.

I have tried to set it up last night without success.

Disabling the NAT on the on Thomson modem was the first obstacle. I couldn't find the option within the GUI, I guess this is something that could be done with CLI, will check online the command.

Second obstacle was the VLAN tagging for PPPOE (on my router). In DDWRT, I could not find the option related to PPPOE connection. However there was those 2 options down under: T-Home VLAN 7 support and T-Home VLAN 8 support. Will be checking that also.

Will post what I can find.

I don't think NAT is enabled be default on the router. Reset your Thompson by pressing the reset button for about 10 seconds. This will reset it back to shipping from magnet settings. I have done this twice and it re-connected and worked. If you wanted a fallback, take a backup on the config, saved as user.ini.

I believe that you must be able to set the VLAN for the PPPoE connection. What Linksys router are using? On my Juniper SSG, I can't set the VLAN and prioritization for a PPPoE connection, so it's useless to me.

For the NAT, I am wondering if it is not coming from the Extended Security section (Toolbox> Game and Applicaitons> UniverSal Plug and play> Use Extended Security (checked box). Will check it.

My personal modem is Lynksis WNDR3700v4 with DD WRT (firmware V24-SP2), the only options available are showing here:

ddwrt1.png

There is no VLAN 10 tagging here. However, I should probably try to assign the WAN port into the VLAN section (with value 10) and see.
    Found this guide here as well, but I am not sure I want to mess with config as at the moment when I reset the modem it goes back to Magnet config.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

VLAN 10 must be configure on bridged router not on router who is "making" ppoe connection.
    PS.
    You can use cisco 887 (with latest firmware) or cisco 897 - they are work brilliant.

It seems only possible to set up the VLAN with the Routed Configuration of the Thomson modem:

Routed.png

Then in Bridge mode:

Bridge.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Here's a probable solution to the issue.

Set the Technicolor device up as standard out of the box. Connect the external interface of your router to the Technicolor device, and ensure that you can access the Technicolor device webpage from inside the router.

Go to the Technicolor device administration page, toolbox, devices, select the router from the list - should be the only device listed and assign the DMZ to the router. You may have to use dynamic dns on the Technicolor device to get access from external, as your real IP may change with leases expiring or remote reboots of the Technicolor box.

I had the exact same type of setup with a public IP on my Smoothwall firewall and I was having the same problems getting access to the devices inside my network. I now have my external access working perfectly, with my ssh tunnelling working great, the external access to my security camera software etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

There is another setting where the public IP of the Technicolor box can be "handed over" to the DMZ-allocated device, but I couldn't get a DHCP-allocated IP address on the Smoothwall.

For those that have more than a good idea what they are doing.. there's a CLI available via telnet, admin password. Pretty comprehensive and deep, I'm just scratching the surface at the moment with it.
    Command guide pdf here:

• Advertisement

Received my DrayTek 2860 router yesterday.

Configured the VDSL connection with VLAN=10, prioritisation=0, entered my PPPoE username and password and up the connection came. Up and running in 5 minutes.

I now have NAT, port forwarding and open ports back amongst a load of new features (VPN might come in use in light of recent throttling).

If you are willing to pay the ~€230 for the router, I'd recommend it. Support for vectoring will be by way of a firmware upgrade.

I was messing around with the Technicolors GUI, commandline and altering the config file to no avail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Configured the VDSL connection with VLAN=10, prioritisation=0, entered my PPPoE username and password and up the connection came. Up and running in 5 minutes.

I now have NAT, port forwarding and open ports back amongst a load of new features (VPN might come in use in light of recent throttling).

If you are willing to pay the ~€230 for the router, I'd recommend it. Support for vectoring will be by way of a firmware upgrade.

I was messing around with the Technicolors GUI, commandline and altering the config file to no avail.

What's it like for uTorrent? I seed and upload torrents, so I need something with a flexible firewall that'll will allow peers to connect to me. I can never get port-forwarding to work.

works for torrents(uTorrent, Vuze, etc), allows you to open a port and send all traffic to an IP address(Machine running your torrent application) in your internal network.

Example for Torrent using Open Port
    WAN1:27934 => 192.168.1.150:27934

You can also doe NAT/PAT - Port redirection

Example for Remote Desktop from outside

WAN1:7459 = 192.168.1.120:3389

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

Hi trister,
    Have Draytek announced they will release a FW upgrade to support vectoring ? I am about to upgrade to a VDSL connection and I have always used Draytek routers so I was looking at the 2860n but I see it does not list G.993.5 in the specs yet.

Hi apm0003,

Here is the response I got from DrayTek. I hope that vectoring will be supported by the time Eircom implement it. I wonder does the original Thompson Technicolor router support vectoring, probably not.

As a fallback, I will put the Thompson router in bridged mode and configure the PPPoE with the VLAN ID in the DrayTek
    Query From : XXXXXXXX / NA (XXXXXXXX@gmail.com)
    Product : Vigor 2860 (F/W 3.7.3 S/N 138002227816)
    Summary : VDSL2 Vectoring

Details of Query
    Hi, I see on one of your tweets a few months back that vectoring
    will be supported by way of a firmware upgrade for the Vigor 2860.
    Has this happened yet(current version 3.7.3), if not what is the
    estimated date in 2014 for support?

Thanks,

XXXXXXX

> Additional Information
    >
    > DQ Ref : DQ786913
    > Product : V2860
    > Supplier : Dabs.ie
    > Purchased : 08-12-2013
    > ISP : Magnet Networks
    > DQ Date : 11:56 18/12/2013
    > Client IP : XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX / IE
    XXXXXXX <XXXXXXXXXX@gmail.com>

18/12/2013

Hello XXXXXXXX,

Could you provide some information on what you would require the G.Vector
    support for when using a VDSL2 connection? i.e. is it planned to be
    implemented by an ISP at a specific time?

Regards,
    David

http://www.support.draytek.co.uk
    19:31 PM, you wrote:

Hi David,

It is going around the forums that vectoring, G.vector or G.993.5 will be used in the new year by Eircom(former national carrier like BT was). They provide all FTTC VDSL2 connections to all other providers in the country, Magnet, Eircom, BT, Sky, etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87884184

I found a tweet stating that vectoring was to be supported by way of a firmware update

https://twitter.com/DrayTek_NL

The 2860 is a really good piece of kit, it would be shame to have to go back to the stock router provided by my ISP if vectoring was introduced. I was hoping it would be supported by the time the ISP switched it on.

Thanks for your assistance,

Best Regards,

XXXXXXXX

Hello XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for that information, here's the official response regarding Vectoring in the UK:
    Vectoring is something that we're working on but we don't have a schedule/release date currently.

Regards,
    David

http://www.support.draytek.co.uk

Hi Trister,
    Thanks for that.

Eircom require that all operators supply equipment that supports G.Vector. This is from their wholesale guidelines ...

3.6 Vectoring Standard (FTTC)
    Operators are obliged to ensure that all equipment connected to the network is compliant with
    Recommendation ITU-T G.993.5 for vectoring.

I am pretty sure all the routers supplied by the current providers support vectoring.

I think I might hold off on the purchase of the 2860 ...it's an expensive piece of kit ! I see there are a couple of other options that do support G993.5. The AVM FRITZ!Box 3390 has OK reviews and seems to do all I need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

apm0003 wrote: »
    Hi Trister,
    Thanks for that.

Eircom require that all operators supply equipment that supports G.Vector. This is from their wholesale guidelines ...

3.6 Vectoring Standard (FTTC)
    Operators are obliged to ensure that all equipment connected to the network is compliant with
    Recommendation ITU-T G.993.5 for vectoring.

I am pretty sure all the routers supplied by the current providers support vectoring.

I think I might hold off on the purchase of the 2860 ...it's an expensive piece of kit ! I see there are a couple of other options that do support G993.5. The AVM FRITZ!Box 3390 has OK reviews and seems to do all I need.

Do those routers support pair bonding?

Do those routers support pair bonding?

Not that I can see. Have eircom suggested they would be looking to use VDSL bonding at any stage ? I did a quick google and can't see anything.

In the end I went with the Fritz!Box 3390. The latest firmware (V6.04) supports vectoring and it has good functionality for an OK price. Very easy to setup and had it connected in minutes. As trister has said above, you need to ask Magnet support for your PPPoE password. Your userid is xxxxxxxx@magnet.id where xxxxxxx is your account number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Can anyone confirm that the DrayTek 2860 will work as a replacement for Eircom's (pile of sh1te) F1000 fiber router? I bought a lot of extra public IPs from Eircom and it turns out the F1000 doesn't support multiple virutal interfaces on the WAN interace!

Advertisement