Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 8 on Steam

Options
  • 06-12-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Not sure if people new this was coming, but found out that FF8 has been released on steam earlier this evening! Probably my favourite of the series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

One of my faves too.
    Though many people were confused by the Junctioning system, ...Triple Triads was also brilliant :D
    Edea was one of if not the first CG character I thought was super-hot ! :P

Just seen it said Key Features...checked Steam page
    Magic Booster

When Magic Booster is used, the player’s inventory of the following spells is increased by 100:

Cure, Cura, Curaga, Fire, Fira, Blizzard, Blizzara, Thunder, Thundara, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Bio, Esuna, Aero, Confuse, Break, Zombie

This feature can be used from the launcher.

What is this ? Some nooby cheat for people who've not played an RPG before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really loved the Card game in this one. Will have to get it at some stage on sale. I am still playing FF7 on vita right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i loved triple triad, got some awesome cards for it and lost loads of awesome ones too :D great fun

They just need to get FF9 onto Steam now ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

One of the few games I could never beat the final boss and ended up quitting out of sheer frustration. At last I can get a chance to redeem my self.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Worth getting considering it's not a piss poor port like FFVII was and it's also not the crappy slowed down european version.

Junctioning system is a bit too complicated in it and the story is absolute arse but once you learn the systems the best fun is totally breaking the battle system :) It's a bit like FFV in that regard.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Worth getting considering it's not a piss poor port like FFVII was and it's also not the crappy slowed down european version.

Junctioning system is a bit too complicated in it and the story is absolute arse but once you learn the systems the best fun is totally breaking the battle system :) It's a bit like FFV in that regard.

I do remember that this FF had some very weird system. You used GF to give stats and then used Magics to increase stats or something? If I remember correct there was ultima spell, which was the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It seems with regard to the music there have been complaints. I spotted this go up earlier and added it to my wishlist. I'll buy it when it goes on sale. I'll think about doing a no level up playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

SeantheMan wrote: »

Have a feeling this won't happen unfortunately since it was never released for PC in the past unlike 7 and 8.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Delighted with this. Yeah, it has it's flaws, but i still loved it.

• Advertisement

I played it and I honestly though it was "meh". I just could not get in to it. The art style, character style, the world was just meh. I could not take anything serious too as there were man size rats and hyppos... WTF...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

FF9 would be amazing to get on the pc. It's a fantastic game, that i unfortunately never finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Meh. Worst Final Fantasy game i have played. FFX-2 is leagues ahead of this in every regard

Meh. Worst Final Fantasy game i have played. FFX-2 is leagues ahead of this in every regard
    Not sure if serious...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hopefully they're working their way up through them.

Wasn't much of a console gamer so I missed 7 8 and 9.

Might have a look at this. How well does it run?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,898 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What is this ? Some nooby cheat for people who've not played an RPG before ?
    A time hack for people who have already played it 3-5 times and don't need to farm a bunch of islands for magic stock

I think I'd end up using that especially if I go through with the no leveling run. Going in to battle, drawing for eons and fleeing from battles doesn't seem ideal. Plus, I wouldn't feel so bad about spending more time on the card game, which I'll fess I didn't go in to as much as I should have before. I didn't *avoid it* but I didn't really get stuck in either.

This game was really easy to level up in compared to the other FF's.
    Once you can access Cactuar Island you can get serious AP,....and then by doing something with Junctioning that I can't remember, hitting Lvl 100 for all characters isn't that long at all.

Eden was a stupid GF, the animation sequence took forever !!! Doomtrain was the way forward.

I was disgusted when Odin was given up for Gilgamesh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Never was a massive fan of FF8. Didn't like the junction system or he main characters. Squall is a moody unlikeable git and the other characters aren't great either. The only character I liked was the guy who you play in the flashbacks whose name escapes me.

That said FF8 as the weakest ps1 FF offering is still streets ahead of the FF games in the following generations. And it has my favourite opening FMV in a FF game.

I'll probably pick it up anyway when it goes on sale.

The only character I liked was the guy who you play in the flashbacks whose name escapes me.
    That'd be Laguna. Took me a couple of minutes to remember, then I googled it to make sure I was right. Didn't want to cheat :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That'd be Laguna. Took me a couple of minutes to remember, then I googled it to make sure I was right. Didn't want to cheat :pac:

Thats right. Had a bad dose of mental block. I enjoyed his segments of the game the most. His two buddies the black guy with the blade weapons and the fat guy with the harpoon were pretty cool as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The music from the Laguna sequences was fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se21KZgT7tY

Only for I replayed it recently enough on the Vita, I'd get it. On my wishlist, and I'll pick it up as soon as it drops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played it and I honestly though it was "meh". I just could not get in to it. The art style, character style, the world was just meh. I could not take anything serious too as there were man size rats and hyppos... WTF...

FF9 is the best of the Ps1 FF games imo (other than Tactics). It's got so much charm and it's just plain fun. Of course you aren't meant to take it seriously.

Anyone wanna gift me FF8 and I'll sort ye with cash or a game next week when my replacement Credit Card arrives :D

I'm without online payment capabilities :P and this and Broken sword are crying to be bought !

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Great game, lots of fun in card collecting and breaking battles with the junction system.

Pushtrak wrote: »

Squalls dad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'm playing through FF9 at the moment on Vita, I absolutely loved these games but it's a bit jarring going back to them now, things have moved on so much. Might give FF8 another spin, I'm fairly sure I 100%'d it back in the day, though there were no trophies or anything to measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

SeantheMan, no need to be spoiling that! It's not even a discussion point currently!

Also, seems like this has the same music issue that FFVII has/had.

FF9 is the best of the Ps1 FF games imo (other than Tactics). It's got so much charm and it's just plain fun. Of course you aren't meant to take it seriously.

I honestly can see what people like in it. It's not a bad game, but it's definitely not the best FF game on ps1 for me.

• Advertisement

I honestly can see what people like in it. It's not a bad game, but it's definitely not the best FF game on ps1 for me.

The battle system is fast paced and quick, it looks gorgeous, has a great soundtrack, has some great chartacters and while the story is weak it's knowingly so. It doesn't get bogged down in silly philosphising like some later FF games, it just concentrates on being a fun adventure which is all an RPG really needs to be. The homages to the older FF games also help a lot.

I think you are just taking it too seriously. It's just a silly fun cartoony adventure and I find it works a lot better than the po-faced seriousness of some later FF games. It's a homage to the games before FFVI where you're out to save the world for a very flimsy reason but mostly because you're having fun going so :)

Advertisement