Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Christmas schedules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's pretty much what I would expect. What should be different on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Nothing particularly imaginative - Christmas editions of existing shows: extended Republic of Telly; The Zoo Christmas Special; Mario Rosenstock Christmas Special; hour-long festive Fair City; Christmas and New Year's Mrs Brown's Boys specials. Other than a review of the year on each channel (Good Year/Bad Year and Totes Amazeballs - 2013 (have a guess which one on which)), nothing specifically commissioned for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The Indiana Jones Trilogy is the only worthwhile thing there from what I can see. But BBC will be showing ad-free so eliminates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

No Mary Poppins!!! Goddammit RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭golfball37

What day is Willie Wonka on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Dermot Morgan documentary should be good. And I'm glad to see an At Your Service Special.

Next Year's News sounds like The Panel II (made by the same Production Company) - might have potential.

Apart from that, nothing very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Bebo Rocks wrote: »
    same ****, different year.
    But, sure, that's what Christmas is all about. I'd be peeved if it was any other way - the more traditional the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Christmas television was a big deal when I was growing up. There was always a fight as to who got to read the Christmas RTE Guide first :o
    With so many distractions these days, Christmas TV will never have the same allure that it once had. Apart from the very odd Christmas special, there's not a lot to get excited about any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

On RTÉ One, Mrs Brown's Boys will return for Christmas and New Year's Specials; Fair City will have a one-hour Christmas Day episode

RTÉ Two's highlights include an extended Republic of Telly

Hooray. That's really, really exciting and fantastic news. Wooooo. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    RTÉjr's Christmas programming includes... The Curious World of Professor Fun and Dr Dull; Sing-along with Emma O'Driscoll and Spraoí.

And that's really fantastic news too... unless these programmes are on this channel all year round. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Terrible Gaeilge, as well.
    On RTÉ Two, Una's Dream Ticket will see The Saturdays' Una Healy making boys and girls' dreams come true

No disrespect intended towards Una whatsover... but why does Jim'll Fix it spring to mind here? :o:o:o:o
    Christmas specials from Rachel Allen, Neven Maguire and Kitchen Hero's Donal Skehan

BuilderPlumber won't like that at all... :o:D:D
    New Year's Eve Live – The Ultimate Gathering will see Dáithí Ó Sé and Sinéad Kennedy presenting from the 3 NYE concert in College Green, Dublin

So basically the same New Year's show as last year - but with Everybody's Favourite 37-Year-Old From Dingle, and a Super-Brilliant Kids' TV Presenter, in place of Miriam. :rolleyes:
    Among the highlights of this year's Christmas religious programmes on RTÉ One are... Urbi et Orbi

Pope Francis is brilliant, but that still doesn't mean his Christmas address qualifies as a highlight...
    Children's movies on RTÉ Two include... The Fantastic Mr Fox

THE Fantastic Mr Fox?!?

Lack of interest in Roald Dahl there, methinks... :rolleyes:

Achill_Island sums it up perfectly on that RTE TEN page: "Scrooge is alive and well in Donnybrook."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,053 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The only thing RTE is good for at Xmas is all the films it shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

That's an absolutely shocking line-up of what's to come.

I rarely watch RTE, most of the sh*te they churn out makes me cringe.
    I love all the British channels: ITV, BBC, Channel 5-they're where it's at for top Christmas viewing.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I love all the British channels: ITV, BBC, Channel 5-they're where it's at for top Christmas viewing.

Really? All channels are pretty useless for Christmas tv. What will those channels be showing that's any good?

lertsnim wrote: »
    Really? All channels are pretty useless for Christmas tv. What will those channels be showing that's any good?

I don't know off-hand but I there'll be the festive episodes of the soaps, which I love, also festive versions of comedies I like and more films and actual celebrities as opposed to the weathergirls, journalists and radio presenters RTE likes to pretend are celebrities.

RTE just makes me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,053 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't know off-hand but I there'll be the festive episodes of the soaps, which I love, also festive versions of comedies I like and more films and actual celebrities as opposed to the weathergirls, journalists and radio presenters RTE likes to pretend are celebrities.

Don't forget a Westlife and/or Boyzone special.

My idea of hell

lertsnim wrote: »
    My idea of hell

That's fine, we don't all like the same stuff.

My idea of hell would be Brian Dobson, Nuala Carey, Blathanid ni Cofaigh and other nobodies on Come Dine with Me, or Gay Byrne doing his One Night Only's (oh, look, he is) and anything twee like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭jack747

As long as the killinascully Christmas special is shown I'll be a happy man. Some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

TV has always been diabolical at Christmas on all channels. It always feels like a desperate attempt to cash in for all of the extra viewers during the Christmas period, with the chronic soap stories, dodgy sitcom Christmas specials and music/celebrity specials. The only things worth watching are the films. The only exception this Christmas will be Sherlock on New Years Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This makes me laugh, people whinge when stations show the same old movies (and probably have them on dvd anyway) then complain when the same films that have been shown every year since the 80's don't get shown. The movie line up actually looks alright in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

krudler wrote: »
    This makes me laugh, people whinge when stations show the same old movies

Not me! I hate when they don't show the films I expect at Christmas.

I enjoy Christmas TV just for the movies (and, these days, the Downton Abbey Christmas Special). Soaps/festive editions of any other regular shows etc = zero appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Christmas television was a big deal when I was growing up. There was always a fight as to who got to read the Christmas RTE Guide first :o
    With so many distractions these days, Christmas TV will never have the same allure that it once had. Apart from the very odd Christmas special, there's not a lot to get excited about any more.

Ah, Harry.......Stop being a Grinch.....:(

You'll be looking at Willie Wonka like the rest of us......;)

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

No national lampoons christmas vaction:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

THE Fantastic Mr Fox?!?

Great film. I'm gonna a-watch it with a glass of whiskey in one hand and a big ol' turkey sandwich in the other!

dave1982 wrote: »

TV3 or TG4 could also show it

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Great film. I'm gonna a-watch it with a glass of whiskey in one hand and a big ol' turkey sandwich in the other!

Great film it may be - but the point is, it doesn't have a "the" in its title, as the writer of that RTE TEN article claims... :rolleyes: ;)

The book isn't called "The" Fantastic Mr Fox either, which is why I said that said writer appears to have a lack of interest in Roald Dahl. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

dave1982 wrote: »

Think, it is on sky movies this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chrimbo telly - extra long tinselly versions of programmes you don't like and the stuff you do like is usually off air.

You do know the Daily Mail hates the BBC, right? :D:);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭TheHighest92

Gold usually airs only fools and horses on loop at christmas, there's no need to look at gay byrne

Advertisement