Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Who cares if his ground work isn't great?

Its called mixes martial arts, if he can beat someone and not give them a chance to use their wrestling if its their strong point, then that is some talent.

I don't think anyone has really tired properly to take him down, Conor has faced primarily strikers so far in the UFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kinggo99

Its called mixes martial arts, if he can beat someone and not give them a chance to use their wrestling if its their strong point, then that is some talent.

Lets hope he can beat them all without giving them a chances to take him down.

The haters go over the top about him not deserving a title shot and all that sort of stuff,he definitely deserves a shot imo.

But as much as people might not like to admit there still is a question mark there over his ability to deal with Mendes,Edgar types and until he faces them and deals with it you will always have to listen to people question that part of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

kinggo99 wrote: »
    Lets hope he can beat them all without giving them a chances to take him down.

The haters go over the top about him not deserving a title shot and all that sort of stuff,he definitely deserves a shot imo.

But as much as people might not like to admit there still is a question mark there over his ability to deal with Mendes,Edgar types and until he faces them and deals with it you will always have to listen to people question that part of his game.

Not a hope, now he's gone up to that level and will be facing Top 5 opponents for the considerable future (after Siver fight) there's gonna come a time in a fight when he's taken down at will (probably by Edgar), then we'll see how good he really is

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not a hope, now he's gone up to that level and will be facing Top 5 opponents for the considerable future (after Siver fight) there's gonna come a time in a fight when he's taken down at will (probably by Edgar), then we'll see how good he really is

I always liked Frankie but i'd love to see Conor absolutely smash him.

But he to me is a terrible match up for Conor,because at featherweight he has more control on the ground but from his days of fighting bigger lightweights he was an expert at being elusive and moving in and out without getting hit and point fighting to win rounds.

So Conor will probably have a job connecting in the stand up and will have to worry about his ground game too,which at featherweight is very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

I was taking critics point of view, as you should have noticed. I'm all for winning by any means, I think he can do it and I think he can do it in 155 as well, if not up again. I'm not knocking him :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Conor versus CM Punk. Croke Park. Summer 2015!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

He must be trolling. Pendred seems like a nice guy and all, but his skills are very, very meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Gumbi wrote: »
    He must be trolling. Pendred seems like a nice guy and all, but his skills are very, very meh.

Against someone who's never been in a fight? He would demolish the punk IMO.

I dunno much about punk or modern professional wrestling but surely if he will be such a big draw for PPV they will keep him away from other big PPV names, like McGregor so the Punk can be an attraction on a maybe not so stacked card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Can't blame him for pushing for a big pay day, unfortunately I don't see him having a very long career in the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

xtal191 wrote: »
    Can't blame him for pushing for a big pay day, unfortunately I don't see him having a very long career in the UFC.

Connor??

Maybe, maybe not, its in his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Connor??

It's astonishing, what people are willing to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's astonishing, what people are willing to see.

What you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Connor??

i think he means Cathal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Kenny Florian picked Conor in his top 5 boxers in the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

scudzilla wrote: »
    i think he means Cathal

Yeah I meant Cathal not Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BreakingBadLad

I was looking at croke park community meeting minutes for info on handball centre updates but came across something MMA / Conor McGregor fans might be interested in. :)

"May 2015
    • Date for non-GAA sporting event provisionally being held for late May.
    • Non-GAA sporting events do not require a special events license."

Link: crokepark.ie/getmedia/694b9ea2-5916-42a6-ae6c-6d5482c26747/Croke-Park-Community-Forum-November-2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

ASOT wrote: »
    Kenny Florian picked Conor in his top 5 boxers in the UFC

What a joke, how can someone with such little time in the octagon make a top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

JJayoo wrote: »
    What a joke, how can someone with such little time in the octagon make a top 5.

He had fights before the UFC I'm guessing Florian has seen them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Ash also mentioned May last night in her interview saying she could co main event with Conor as the king and her the queen of Irish mma

• Advertisement

ciano316 wrote: »
    He had fights before the UFC I'm guessing Florian has seen them

That would make it even more of a joke.

Conor might indeed have some of the best hands in the UFC but it will take a lot more fights to establish that stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Conor might indeed have some of the best hands in the UFC but it will take a lot more fights to establish that stat.

I'd imagine he's watched all of Conors fights outside the UFC as well. Wouldn't be regarding Kenny Florians opinion as a joke seeing as he's been in there with some of the best. He does like McGregor though, said he thought he'd beat Aldo

I'll tell you whats list is terrible,surely the list is meant to be in the UFC right now,not someone like Randy whos long gone,if it was meant to be all time how did he put Randy in ahead of Chuck lol,not sure whats going on in the head of "I'll tell you what".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,051 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why would basing it on all 18 of his fights before if a joke that basing it on his UFC fights only?
    A lot boxing/striking experts were raving about his technical ability, footwork etc after his debut. Since then guys like Jack Skack have really done their homework on his fight history.

Why do we need a set number of fighters to rank somebody's skills?
    For example Kron Gracie is making his MMA debut next week. As long as he can manage a basic transition. I'd be pretty happy to rank him as one of the best grapplers in the sport.
    (The whole package question mark will remain for a while obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

It's not a stat. It's one guys opinion. A bit of fun, not meant to be taken too seriously. Relax.
    kinggo99 wrote: »
    I'll tell you whats list is terrible,surely the list is meant to be in the UFC right now,not someone like Randy whos long gone,if it was meant to be all time how did he put Randy in ahead of Chuck lol,not sure whats going on in the head of "I'll tell you what".

Again it's just an opinion. You don't have to go into the archives to find better boxers than Randy. You'll notice ferguson also chose himself??? :rolleyes: Proof, if any was needed, that it was just a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

John_D80 wrote: »
    It's not a stat. It's one guys opinion. A bit of fun, not meant to be taken too seriously. Relax.

Again it's just an opinion. You don't have to go into the archives to find better boxers than Randy. You'll notice ferguson also chose himself??? :rolleyes: Proof, if any was needed, that it was just a bit of craic.

Exactly the bolded part, pretty simple. Sure Schaub put himself in like three lists when it came down to it. Obviously i woudlnt agree with Kenny that Conor should be on the list of all time great boxers YET, but without a doubt he has some of the best boxing in the whole UFC at the moment.

Mellor wrote: »
    Why would basing it on all 18 of his fights before if a joke that basing it on his UFC fights only?

Because IMO the level of competition he would have faced in his first few fights would have been so low and non comparable to the guys he is competing against in the UFC.

And John_D80 maybe you should take your own advice and relax because I am only giving
    one guys opinion. A bit of fun, not meant to be taken too seriously. Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

And John_D80 maybe you should take your own advice and relax because I am only giving

Giving.........??

Mate I'm totally relaxed. I was just pointing out that you mistakenly called that a stat and were taking it a little too serious for what was essentially a 2 minute space-filler on a magazine show.

No offence intended. Peace.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Giving.........??

I just quoted what you had said previously, was only messing :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,051 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Because IMO the level of competition he would have faced in his first few fights would have been so low and non comparable to the guys he is competing against in the UFC.
    I do see where you are coming from. He obviously had easier fights. Which means easier knockouts. But I don't think anyone is calling him a great boxer simply because if the knockouts. It's more the technical aspect, which is largely (but not completely) independent of the opponent.

There is a great breakdown that details his technical progression from the wary date until the UFC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement