Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,149 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SevereMMA wrote: »
    You could argue that he has taken MMA from an unknown sport to a mainstream sport in Ireland, with all newspapers, Irish free to air and subscription TV stations all pushing him and MMA now

MMA is nowhere near mainstream now in Ireland, not yet. Nor in any country in the world.
    It's getting some coverage in the papers, or rather Conor is getting coverage, and the odd SBG fighter by proxy. Virtually no MMA outside of that is being pushed or covered. The next 3 PPVs all feature title fights, include the HW belt which usually generates the biggest buzz in casual fans, I'd say Aldo v Mendes has a chance of being mentioned, and only relation to a potential McGregor match.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Mellor wrote: »
    MMA is nowhere near mainstream now in Ireland, not yet. Nor in any country in the world.
    It's getting some coverage in the papers, or rather Conor is getting coverage, and the odd SBG fighter by proxy. Virtually no MMA outside of that is being pushed or covered. The next 3 PPVs all feature title fights, include the HW belt which usually generates the biggest buzz in casual fans, I'd say Aldo v Mendes has a chance of being mentioned, and only relation to a potential McGregor match.

Yea i shouldnt have said mainstream, much more mainstream than before

3e airing the Dublin show live and showing highlights of shows on a Monday is huge and didnt look at all likely a couple of years ago

also RTE commissioning the original Notorious docu and now a 6 part series

Around the time of UFC Dublin, MMA aired in primetime on both free to air stations at the same time, RTE (on rte two with a reshow of the conor docu) and TV3 (on 3e showing UFC 178 highlights i think it was)

All very positive for MMA in Ireland and getting it out to the masses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

guys, any idea when mc gregor will fight next? cant get enough of his fights:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

zweton wrote: »

He hasn't got anything booked, but I believe he is next in line for a title shot. The title is up for grabs at the end of this month and the winner of that may well get McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

zweton wrote: »

nothing booked, but most likely early next year, possibly February and for the FW title.

That's if Aldo beats Mendez at UFC 179. If Mendez wins, that throws things off somewhat, and Conor may end up fighting the winner of Cub Swanson and Frankie Edgar.

We won't know anything until after UFC 179 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Gumbi wrote: »
    He hasn't got anything booked, but I believe he is next in line for a title shot. The title is up for grabs at the end of this month and the winner of that may well get McGregor.

If they're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tweeted this a few minutes ago

@TheNotoriousMMA: Someone grab that World Cup quick. @DennisSiver we whooped you pussies on home soil. Like Id whoop you on any soil you little German midget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Partaking in the consumption of beverages perhaps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

lertsnim wrote: »
    Tweeted this a few minutes ago

@TheNotoriousMMA: Someone grab that World Cup quick. @DennisSiver we whooped you pussies on home soil. Like Id whoop you on any soil you little German midget.

A lucky draw is hardly whooped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Things I learned on twitter this evening.

1. Conor McGregor does not understand football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,567 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Things I learned on twitter this evening.

1. Conor McGregor does not understand football.

He doesn't hold back talking about it anyway :pac:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/522129268755922944

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

Blay wrote: »
    He doesn't hold back talking about it anyway :pac:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/522129268755922944

Ridiculous crap. I don't see the point in insulting a guy he has no interest or benefit in fighting and has no real beef with. Its one thing if he's trying to get a title shot but insulting guys for the sake of it just comes off as a bit scummy.
    He's had a few pops at Siver now and I haven't seen a response yet.

And whooping them by grabbing an equalizer with the last kick of the game when we should have been bet out the gate. He should definitely stick to the game he's in.

threeball wrote: »
    Ridiculous crap. I don't see the point in insulting a guy he has no interest or benefit in fighting and has no real beef with. Its one thing if he's trying to get a title shot but insulting guys for the sake of it just comes off as a bit scummy.
    He's called out the whole division all along. Why suddenly take issue on Siver's behalf?

Edit: Siver has said he wanted to fight Conor next. And he criticised his place above him in the top 10.
    He also criticised Frankie Edgar's top three spot - belittling his 155 title as "no competition". He's an ape.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭xtal191

threeball wrote: »

And whooping them by grabbing an equalizer with the last kick of the game when we should have been bet out the gate. He should definitely stick to the game he's in.

He did respond

https://twitter.com/DennisSiver/status/522327465759608832

I think Denis Siver said something about him originally though? Possibly around the time of the Brandao fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Too early for a title fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Too early for a title fight.

Conor on facebook a few minutes ago:
    Because Aldo's body is weak and Mendes is 2foot nothing, they will not be ready to challenge me for the throne until mid next year.
    Myself, Uncle Frank and the rest of La Familia are in the process of selecting another victim to eliminate in the meantime.

Any guesses as to who it might be? Would like to see him maul a wrestler just to shut the mob up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Looks like he's been told he has to have another fight before he can take on Aldo. They might aswell milk it now, if he loses to Aldo the McGregor train gets derailed, easier to set him up another win that smashes the PPV before then.

2hyc9xi.png
    212bbj6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

3c799d30b7df41b9955e5f243af8187d.png

Would have been thinking hes on the sauce but hes back in Ireland so i doubt it, hes mental :pac:

• Advertisement

Conor on facebook a few minutes ago:

Any guesses as to who it might be? Would like to see him maul a wrestler just to shut the mob up.
    Most of the top 10 is booked up right now. Only Nik Lentz is free.
    Dennis Siver is free too, but he's just outside the top 10 (if you count Aldo at No.1)

Nik Lentz will be an interesting opponent. A lot of people cite him as a wrestler who'll beat him.

Mellor wrote: »
    Most of the top 10 is booked up right now. Only Nik Lentz is free.
    Dennis Siver is free too, but he's just outside the top 10 (if you count Aldo at No.1)

Nik Lentz will be an interesting opponent. A lot of people cite him as a wrestler who'll beat him.

He gave Chad a good fight, but i dont know how much that was down to Chad having a chest infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭xtal191

ASOT wrote: »
    He gave Chad a good fight, but i dont know how much that was down to Chad having a chest infection.

His only loss at featherweight too I think.

xtal191 wrote: »
    His only loss at featherweight too I think.

Yeah hes 4-1, beat Manny G in his last fight which is a decent scalp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I wonder if we'll be seeing a McGregor v Holloway rematch anytime soon. Max looks a real talent in the cage, and he's so young as well. Could be a very interesting rematch, but I doubt the UFC brass will make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll be seeing a McGregor v Holloway rematch anytime soon. Max looks a real talent in the cage, and he's so young as well. Could be a very interesting rematch, but I doubt the UFC brass will make it happen.

Nothing for Conor to gain, but everything to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Nothing for Conor to gain, but everything to lose

That would be a terrible rematch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

MagicIRL wrote: »

I'd agree with the other two comments. Holloway hasn't changed enough in a year to warrant a rematch.

Conor is a cash cow for the UFC. He needed that fight against Poirier for a variety of reasons, from the UFCs point of view it justifies putting him against top competition now. Putting him against anyone that's not in the top 10 wouldn't be worth the risk. Conor silenced a lot of critics/doubters with his last knockout, why give them further ammunition if he were to lose to someone outside that top 10.

So Siver fought two weeks ago, maybe the tweets last night were Conors call out. Or if they were to go outside the top 15, Cole Miller isn't lined up at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'd like to see the Siver fight. The timing is perfect, if they announced this now, they could do it in December or early January. Siver would be the most interesting striker McGregor has faced to date, it would be a really fun fight to watch.

I'm kind of a bit tired with the title fight talk, what contender fits where and what's fair and not fair etc, I'd just like to see them make good fights and I think Siver is one. I hope they book it sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Conor was watching love hate and eating King crisps and went to twitter in Nidge mode lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement