Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fage Greek yogurt

Options
  • 01-12-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Anyone know where I can get this stuff, preferably Dublin city or southside? Finding it very hard to get any proper Greek yougart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

And Morton's on Dunville Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Thanks for that. Did a google search and donnybrook fair is supposedly expensive for this product. Any alternative places? I would have imagined this this product would sell well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

JC's in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Mortons are a cheaper than DF, the 500g tubs sell out quick though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

groovyg wrote: »
    Mortons are a cheaper than DF, the 500g tubs sell out quick though

How much are they? Seems a bit strange that there's only three places in Dublin sell this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How much are they? Seems a bit strange that there's only three places in Dublin sell this.

That would be lack of demand for pure greek yoghurt, most people eat "greek style" yoghurt and think it is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Have you tried Liberté fat free strained 'greek style' yogurt?
    Nutritionally, it is very close to Fage 0% Greek yogurt AFAIK (protein-wise, Liberte has 9.6g of protein per 100g vs 10.3g for Fage)
    Dunnes Stores sell it, €2.99 for a 500g tub.

yimg1a.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Must have a look out for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

They have the Liberté one in some branches of Dunnes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

takes about a liter of milk to make ~400g of Greek yogurt, 90c <<2.99e, and if I can do it anyone can.

hypersonic wrote: »
    takes about a liter of milk to make ~400g of Greek yogurt, 90c <<2.99e, and if I can do it anyone can.

Does it take ages to make?
    Post the recipe :)

Does it take ages to make?
    Post the recipe :)

easy peasy.
    1 heat milk in a microwave/pot until it is hot ~80c
    2 wait till it cools to about 35c-40c
    3 put the milk in wide mouth flash with any live yogurt you like and wait till morning.
    4 line a sieve with 1 sheet of kitchen towel and strain yogurt for about 8hrs.

I've done this so often I don't use a thermometer any more and you can "recycle" your yogurt to start a new batch.

did I mention how good Greek yogurt is with maple syrup, yum yum, yum yum yum! !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Stheno wrote: »
    That would be lack of demand for pure greek yoghurt, most people eat "greek style" yoghurt and think it is the same.

It's true that most greek-style yoghurts available in Ireland are nothing like the real thing, way too runny and sour.

But I've had proper greek yoghurt (used to get it in the English Market when I lived in Cork. It wasn't FAGE, it was another Greek make but was the genuine thing) and I now buy greek-style yoghurt in Aldi, and I really, really struggle to see the difference. It is really, really good. Thick, with the same fat content as the one I used to buy at the market (not sure of the protein content comparison as never noted what the content on the genuine one was). Try it, OP!

It's true that most greek-style yoghurts available in Ireland are nothing like the real thing, way too runny and sour.

But I've had proper greek yoghurt (used to get it in the English Market when I lived in Cork. It wasn't FAGE, it was another Greek make but was the genuine thing) and I now buy greek-style yoghurt in Aldi, and I really, really struggle to see the difference. It is really, really good. Thick, with the same fat content as the one I used to buy at the market (not sure of the protein content comparison as never noted what the content on the genuine one was). Try it, OP!

I would hazard a guess that the protein values in the Aldi version are way lower, and the sugar values are way higher.

got to agree, the real deal is so much thicker.

Commercial production of Greek yogurt produces a vast amount of acid whey which is not an environmental friendly substance and is difficult to dispose of.
    so it is a LOT easier to produce a normal yogurt and add some thicking agent.
    The only thing that bugs me is the use of the word "Greek" as they really are completely different products.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Martha_Mae

Dunnes Stores started doing Fage Total 0% a few months ago 500g for €3!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Advertisement