Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭hellomoto1234

Hi Dani85,

From my point of view I followed the training plan sent out for 6 weeks in advance of my PCA - stopped all weights training and focused solely on running and bodyweight excercises.

Fair enough I only scraped through, however I knew on the day if I did fail I had a bit more "in the tank" to go faster next time and I am not super fit by any means!!!!

One thing I did was to use a running app on my phone and go outside to do some running, then I was getting updates on my pace/km etc so I could push myself harder every week to keep improving - plus looking at a clock on a treadmill does get rather boring!

Good luck for your resit, chin up, you'll get it next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dani85

Thanks for your advice Hellomoto - it is very helpful indeed, I'll keep my head up and work hard :) I don't want this test to beat me.

Thanks to everyone that's advised me on here - I'm feeling a lot more positive already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭hellomoto1234

No probs!

Yeah it's very frustrating...hard to believe this campaign started so long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Aww dani, don't sweat it chick, at least you've got the resit so have a day to yourself then chin up and crack on. I didn't do the typical gym thing like most, I had to do what fittied in with my work and kids. I think circuits are a good idea though. Really focus on the anaerobic exercise. That will really help when your hitting the brick wall and feel like you've nothing left. I know Shield had posted a training regime on here a while ago, it might be the one PSNI recommended. When I had injured myself the PTI suggested getting on a bike and going flat out for 45s then easing off for 15s and repeating that until you're nearly dying. Hope that helps a little my lovely, just remember next time around get the thick head on, you can do it :)

Thanks for the support mop a top :)

I know, I just need to nail this next time. I've worked so hard to get this far, I'm not letting it slip through my fingers now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 fl370

Hi all!

Anyone any ideas about the AC scores that are currently progressing to PCA?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

The last batch that went through were in the low 70s high 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Potential Constable Dibble

fl370 wrote: »
    Hi all!

Cheers!

Hi there. I was in the last batch of PCAs and have an AC score of high 60s

Hi all!

Cheers!

Hi. I was in the last batch to do the PCA and my score was in the high 70's for the AC and I think everyone else's scores were in the 60's-70's.

Hope that helps! :)

Cheers for all the responses! :)

Im on the lower side of 65; Ugh haha.

Best of luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Ghost15

Have you received vetting forms fl370?

Ghost15 wrote: »
    Have you received vetting forms fl370?

Hey! No I haven't; should I have? Was wondering about this, haven't been on here in months and I've seen it mentioned a few times, so I'm a little unaware whether I should have or not.

Cheers!

Hey! No I haven't; should I have? Was wondering about this, haven't been on here in months and I've seen it mentioned a few times, so I'm a little unaware whether I should have or not.

Cheers!

My score is a little above yours. I haven't received vetting forms yet either so I wouldn't worry. Ask Highbury. He's the guy who keeps a really good track of numbers on here :)

Cheers!

Hey no I haven't received anything either! Just thinking if the last scores to do their PCA were in the high 60s then surely if we were being processed we'd have vetting forms by now? (With the length of time vettimg takes) Just my thoughts at the minute.. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

I dreamt last night that the PCA was something like an obstacle course from total wipeout. Think I need to lay of the cheese before bed :/

Lmfao that's awesome!!! Imagine if it was or the ninja warrior one. Sad thing is my daughter could probably complete it and I'd be stuck at the first obstacle lol. Would love to see their faces if you asked other sections to complete wipeout course in full riot kit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Just heard that the push/pull test has been scrapped

http://www.u.tv/News/2015/09/24/PSNI-scraps-pushpull-test-over-womens-performance-45636

any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Just heard that the push/pull test has been scrapped

http://www.u.tv/News/2015/09/24/PSNI-scraps-pushpull-test-over-womens-performance-45636

any thoughts?

Don't know if I would agree with it being scrapped completely I think a height adjustment might be a better option as shorter candidates would be able to use their legs more for a better representation of their ability

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ruffle

I think it's only scrapped for recruitment fitness test but still needs to be passed before passing out? Correct me if I'm wrong? 😳

Should still be part of the recruitment, only my opinion though although it would be better if it was height adjusted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Is it me or is the news always a bit behind here in NI the only folks who did it for our campaign was the first batch everybody else it was dropped so it isn't so much news now lol, but yeah probably should be still kept in dunno about height adjustment though guys, if your chasing a suspect down a Belfast side street he/she isn't gonna adjust his or her height according to the officer lol, I get what you's mean though.

I seen an interview from a former cop were he said it shouldn't really matter the push/pull aspect as with training, officers will be able to apply techniques on suspects, I'm not sure on his quote, he has the experience so who am I to say other wise but I still dont know about that. So yeah, it is what it is as long as we get a fair shot I'm good either way as I get the same treatment as everyone else, I just hope they don't miss out on people further down the lists now including myself haha :p, with folks who are more than capable of passing all elements of fitness with all the messing around they've down with the pca. This third campaign I reckon will be a nightmare with resits etc God only knows how many they will bring into the merit pool.

Cheers!

Fl3, at the moment we seem to be down to 68.5 in merit, everybody that's been processed and are being processed have been phased through what seems to be in batches of 100 each batch. There has been four batches so far, if attrition rates are true you maybe find 200 plus will be taken on from that amount, the next batch then should be I would say us from 68.5 down to 65 maybe.

That would be another 100 I would say, and it continues on from there, with all news that's been going on with morale and numbers dropping dramatically and a call for 800 recruits, from what I have heard I'm fairly confident they'll get through a fair amount on this merit list the second squad has only started so we're still pretty early into it here, obviously the third squad has got the call etc.

I've heard they will be taking from our merit list well into the new year, again I reiterate that this is just what I've heard so I really don't want to get anybody's hopes up etc as this could all stop if finances don't permit this, but from what I know from sources is they're beyond it now and have to recruit, finances bleak or not bleak they just have to now. I'm high 60's and haven't received anything yet and I'm hoping I will and fairly confident I will, if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I will definitely be applying for campaign 3 as I think anyone else in my position should do, if they wish to that is.

Lol see!!! Good with numbers ;)

Anyone else seen this?
    Found on FOI requests.

Question 1
    Please could I have details in relation to PSNI recruitment.

What is the lowest pass mark that has been taken into Garnerville for student training?

Clarification: Could the time limit include the last 10 squads please

Answer
    This is to inform you that the Police Service of Northern Ireland has now completed its search for the information you requested.  The decision has been taken to disclose the located information to you in full.

The lowest past mark is 59 for the last 10 PSNI squads.

Question 2
    What year did this recruit/recruits commence training

Answer
    In 2015.

Question 3
    Can you provide a breakdown of male and female, catholic and others  and their pass marks who have been accepted into training

i.e. 6 female officers in with a pass mark of 68

10 male officers in with a pass mark of 72 being the lowest mark attained by males etc.,

lowest catholic accepted into training had pass mark of 66

lowest female accepted into training had pass mark of 61

Clarification: it is a follow on, if the lowest mark was gained by a male/female or by protestant /other?
    For example if the lowest pass mark was 60 was this obtained by a protestant female from lesbian background??? or male from other background for the last 10 squads

Answer
    The following responses are based on the lowest pass mark accepted as being 59.

The breakdown of this group is as follows:

Protestant = a total of 12.
    Roman Catholic = a total of 1.
    Undetermined  = a total of 1

Male = a total of 12.
    Female = a total of 2.

The lowest pass mark being 59? There's hope yet for many!

Thought I would pop my head in here now, just got my date, take it everyone else has too that are doing online learning and vetting as we speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Floral15

Thought I would pop my head in here now, just got my date, take it everyone else has too that are doing online learning and vetting as we speak?

Hey! I haven't as of yet, was it a letter or email?

Floral15 wrote: »
    Hey! I haven't as of yet, was it a letter or email?

Hi Floral, it came in a letter just received it in the mail there about 20 mins ago, nervous now lol but in a good way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Floral15

Hi Floral, it came in a letter just received it in the mail there about 20 mins ago, nervous now lol but in a good way

Aww great! Feels like we are moving swiftly after all this time! My post has been and gone so perhaps tomorrow for me! Good luck :)

Floral15 wrote: »
    Aww great! Feels like we are moving swiftly after all this time! My post has been and gone so perhaps tomorrow for me! Good luck :)

And you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

I got my letter today too! As Martin Lawrence would say in Bad Boys 2. "**** just got real!" haha. Looking forward to the familiarisation which isn't too far away! I was surprised at the location of the PCA.

Advertisement