Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Lunches

Options
  • 29-11-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am a student in secondary school and for lunch mostly me and a few friends go to a close petrol station such as mace or spar and get a roll made up at the deli.

I would just like to know some healthy options for things I can get?
    Or anything I should definitely avoid getting?

I have seen some people getting rolls made with just oven baked potato wedges and curry sauce in them.Are these healthy or should I avoid them???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Have you read through the stickies here? No offense but I think you should do some reading and educating yourself around healthy nutrition.

If you have a smart phone I'd recommend the myfitnesspal app. If you put in honestly what and how much you are eating it'll be a big eye opener for you.

Generally speaking if you want to have control over what you eat you need to make it yourself. It's probably not cool to bring a lunch box but it'd be infinitely better for you than anything bought from a deli.

If you have access to a microwave you could bring leftovers from previous night's dinner, some soup or roasted veg. You could have chicken or tuna salad, a sandwich, small amount of fruit, nuts. Or rice cakes with peanut butter

And stay away well away from a deli wedges roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pak637

I bring lunch from home 4 out of the 5 days Im in school.
    I have been keeping a food journal for the past few weeks also.
    So first of all thanks for presuming Im ridiculously unhealthy :)

and second some more on information on why I should stay away from a wedges roll would be appreciated as Im sorry but just one line telling me to stay away isnt very helpful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Because a white roll with fried wedges is just a huge serving of bad processed food, carb heavy, deep fried wedges, there is nothing of any nutritional value in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Well you neglected to put either if those two pertanent facts in your OP so thanks for presuming that we are mind readers.

As I said read the stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭awesomelakes

Pak637 wrote: »
    I am a student in secondary school and for lunch mostly me and a few friends go to a close petrol station such as mace or spar and get a roll made up at the deli.

I have seen some people getting rolls made with just oven baked potato wedges and curry sauce in them.Are these healthy or should I avoid them???

Thanks
    I bring lunch from home 4 out of the 5 days Im in school.
    I have been keeping a food journal for the past few weeks also.
    So first of all thanks for presuming Im ridiculously unhealthy :)

and second some more on information on why I should stay away from a wedges roll would be appreciated as Im sorry but just one line telling me to stay away isnt very helpful :(

Well you just asked if a roll with wedges on curry sauce on it was healthy or not, so it was a fair enough assumption. No need to be snappy about it.

Salads, left overs from dinner, soups (not from packets), etc. Just make sure you get some decent meat and vegetables in there, maybe some fruit, and none of this Nutrigrain bar/low fat crisps/any other junk that is sold as "health food" but it really isn't.

Are you improving your diet to lose weight, for training or just health in general OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hi,

Due to the recession and pay cuts and what not, I now bring a packed lunch to work.

I make up my sambos on a Saturday or Sunday for the week, and freeze them. Take them out in the morn and they are ready to eat at lunchtime. Makes life so simple.

These freeze well, but im sure some are not TRULY fat free or whatever, but they are home made!

chopped leftover chicken and ham mixed with hummus and tomato relish. No butter, not needed.

tuna with spring onion. I bring a portion of fresh salads, and add to the sambo on the day.
    Lettuce, a bit of coleslaw and tomato. These do not freeze well.

Cooked corned beef, yuuuum ( but probably a total sin), with cheese and relish. Omg nothing else required.

Plain cheese with hummus. Bring some tomatoes and onion and add on the day.

I just freeze the basic sambos, and add the rest.

It has saved me an absolute fortune.

Anyone any more ideas for making sambos ahead?

I get a brown roll anyway and I asked in the shop today if the wedges were baked or fried and she told me they were cooked in an oven. Does that make a major difference or just a small bit?
    Sorry for being snappy it just seemed like the questions I asked werent answered but It was my bad for not putting in enough information.
    To be honest Im not really improving my diet Ive always eaten healthily and thats why I just wanted to know if there was anything unhealthy I should be looking out for or avoiding?

And I know how bad nutri grains and all those bars are they have paragraphs of ingredients most of which are chemicals.I make my own snack bars with honey,oats,and peanut butter.3 ingredients and they take like 20 mins Delicious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

They are made with batter and sunflower or vegetable oil is one of the main ingredients. Baking them doesn't make them healthy..

If you are so insistent on having potato wedges, try making some healthier homemade ones.

You got good suggestions in your other thread if you have to buy lunch in a deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ciaobella

You can prepare healthy meals at home that you can take to school. Im pretty sure there are lots of yummy and helathy online recipes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Thanks

They are comically unhealthy. avoid them.

Healthy means balanced, carbs piled on carbs and covered in a carb sauce is not balanced.

The fact they bake the potato is about as relevant as the color of the box they give it to you in.

aim to bring your own food, aim to eat meat and veg. in the long run you will be healthier and have more discipline for planning. Get a good mixture of protein, fat and carbs in all of your meals.

1 portion of protein is about as big as your palm, so a chicken breast, 2 portions of veg each a palm sized amount, so eg a handfull of peppers and a hand full of spinach. a little olive oil and pack it in a lunchbox.

But most of all realise that it is your diet when viewed as a whole that will affect your health, rather than your choice of food at one meal time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Seems as good a place as any to ask for opinion on Cully and Sully soups,
    220-300 calories per carton. Seem to be made from the right stuff but not to sure. Would you regard these as a healthy lunch? The chicken and vegetable one is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭awesomelakes

dines08 wrote: »
    Seems as good a place as any to ask for opinion on Cully and Sully soups,
    220-300 calories per carton. Seem to be made from the right stuff but not to sure. Would you regard these as a healthy lunch? The chicken and vegetable one is delicious

Going to take a guess and say they are pretty high in sodium. Generally would try to stay away form ready made stuff, don't regard much of it as being healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

OP if you check out http://www.indi.ie/ and have a brose around they have good fact sheets on healthy school lunches and healthy eating in general for young adults!
    :)

OP if you check out http://www.indi.ie/ and have a brose around they have good fact sheets on healthy school lunches and healthy eating in general for young adults!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement