Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish troops come under fire in Syria

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Firstly let me apologise for my.spelling of Isreal.
    Secondly i never mentioned or critisized Isreals ability to defend itself nor its right.
    I can understand the reason for the upset if this was thought to be inplied.
    But i was asking was it in defacto Ireland defending Israel?
    Im sorry, i just have been mulling it over in my mind and wanted to see what people think on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I first met Irish troops serving in the UN in late 1971, when we lived in Cyprus, and a bunch of us spent many a happy weekend over at Kykko Camp with the craic and the music, and, for me, hearing Irish voices again was especially emotive - my father had died a couple of months before.

It was clear to me then that I could have been any one of them, at any time up to September 1967, when I had joined the British Army instead.

That's just the way things turned out, and there is no point in having regrets about it. As a former soldier, I have a great respect for other soldiers, and what they do and how they do it, and the PDF has never been anything except respected in THIS house.

Since the perceived offence was mine, I apologise that the wording of my comment was taken ill by any of you.

tac

Shanered, lets you and me sit down and have an e-drink together, and talk about other things...

Best

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

tac foley wrote: »
    ISRAEL does not need foreigners fighting its wars, thanks.
    Where is this Isreal place you speak of?

Guys, really. Typos happen. I think it demeans both of you to focus on such things when instead you could maintain focus on the arguments.

Mr Moran - I've already posted an apology - see post #33 - what else do you want?

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lemming wrote: »
    Could just be a simple case of "They're not with us. Shoot them" owing to a good old-fashioned case of tribal mentality.

Or could be a lot of other things. Who knows really; we'll likely never find out.

Update:
    Defence Forces investigation finds Irish troops were deliberately ambushed in Syria

Chief of staff Lieut Gen Conor O’Boyle says he does not believes there were casualties in clash with militia

An investigation into a fire fight involving Irish troops in Syria last week has found the troops were deliberately ambushed by armed elements and that an armoured vehicle they were in was extensively damaged when it struck a land mine.

article continues at: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/defence-forces-investigation-finds-irish-troops-were-deliberately-ambushed-in-syria-1.1616131

Advertisement