Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dead hen

Options
  • 28-11-2013 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi all

I went home the other day at lunch to find one of my hens lying down not able to stand .When I went to straighten her up she started kicking with the two legs very far behind her .I made her comfortable in sitting position and when I returned home from work she had pass away. Just wondering what happened as rest are fine .All hens were wormed about 1 month ago and would have been healthy .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

How was her comb/wattles - colour etc?
    How was her crop?
    Was she moulting?
    Is there bullying going on - injuries?
    Is there a cockeral - again, injuries?
    How old was she?
    Weight-wise was she light/normal?
    Was she in a secure run - animal attack/shock?

Hens have a knack for hiding any illness - so that they maintain their place in the pecking order. If she wasnt able to stand at all, I would suggest stroke, injury, shock, peritonitis...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

comb ok white hen
    only year and a half old
    no bullying as she would be the bully as around the longest.
    no male around
    secure closed in pen with three other hens in darkness during the night .

not able to stand up at all .

maybe heart attack etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Who knows with hens - they are so fragile basically.
    If it were a heartattack or stroke, I would expect her comb to be very very dark red or purple. But who knows...

Ive know hens can trap a nerve which would prevent them being able to walk, but they wouldnt die on the same day - just waste away from not being able to feed...

Advertisement