Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas, Cork (Grange to Carrigaline Road Bridge)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Agreed. They prob don't have to close the slip for Mount Oval but given motorway restrictions, I can see why this is wanted.

This will provide a huge improvement in traffic flow, but only when the bridge over the Ballybrack stream is built.

The biggest effect is taking Donnybrook and Grange traffic out of Douglas. Will be huge improvements in Douglas West I feel. Hopefully there won't be too many objections. I really can't see why there would be.

I'm afraid, given human nature, there will be objections aplenty. I used to live in Mt. Oval and closing the slip will be a huge nuisance for the residents. The planners seem to be worried people will rat run through Mt. Oval to go towards Garryduff and Moneygourney. I'm not sure if I agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

moyners wrote: »
    I'm afraid, given human nature, there will be objections aplenty. I used to live in Mt. Oval and closing the slip will be a huge nuisance for the residents. The planners seem to be worried people will rat run through Mt. Oval to go towards Garryduff and Moneygourney. I'm not sure if I agree with them.

If anything the upgraded junction will make this even less likely.

Would think the majority of objections will be to closing the mount oval slip. Can't see why the upgraded junction would be objected to.

I know a lot of people might not agree with me, but is also consider closing the N40 offslip at Douglas West once the bridge and junction upgraded is done.

Congestion on the South Douglas road would disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I know a lot of people might not agree with me, but is also consider closing the N40 offslip at Douglas West once the bridge and junction upgraded is done.

Congestion on the South Douglas road would disappear.

Would that not push a lot of N40 eastbound Grange traffic into Frankfield? I lived in Frankfield for a year and it's pretty bad around Hanleys and the Kinsale Rd roundabout as it is. Grange road is very bad westbound and bad eastbound at peak times - this would make it very bad eastbound too I think.

wrt complaints, I think there'll be a portion of people from halfway up Maryborough hill that will be pretty annoyed, having to either go backwards up to moneygourney to get on the N28 towards the N40, or negotiate the fingerpost and rochestown road. They'll be losing a pretty decent route for N40 West and will surely add 10-15 mins for some in the morning. I'd see the greater good myself, but many won't.

I see that there's a Clarke's hill turning lane proposed for mount oval. This will help somewhat but there'll be a few annoyed - though their inconvenience will be minor.

All in all a fairly positive plan for the area

I'm not sure that blocking Douglas West junction would force people through Frankfield.

For a start, I think the majority would take the Carrs Hill option and then cross over the new Ballybrack Bridge. This would suit everyone in Donnybrook and East part of Grange.

I think you'd see a huge reduction in traffic around Douglas West too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Folks, can we not quote the same image several times - it's unfair on other users.

You can change the [noparse][img][/img] tags to [url][/url][/noparse] tags when quoting or snip the image altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't see any evidence here about the bridge linking Ballybrack with the old Carrigaline road going ahead? These new roads seem to be in a completely different location, connecting Maryborough Ridge and Mount Oval with the new M28?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't see any evidence here about the bridge linking Ballybrack with the old Carrigaline road going ahead? These new roads seem to be in a completely different location, connecting Maryborough Ridge and Mount Oval with the new M28?

In the draft they say theres going to be more traffic on the R609.

So I presume they will build the bridge eventually when the motorway is up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭kub

Yes the M28 project will look after Maryborough Ridge and Mount Oval. The bridge is a totally different project being financed by Cork County Council.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/new-bridge-help-end-nightmare-traffic-douglas/49837/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

(Bump)

So... does anyone know if this bridge connecting Grange to the Carrigaline road is being built or what?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I can't be the only that thinks right now how useful this would be given the road closure at Douglas Village SC.

Although in saying that, traffic doesn't seem to have been too mental in the area recently. Carrs Hill and the Douglas flyover westbound have been a disaster though. The rubbernecking isn't helping either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Rubbernecking is a bit part of the problem but I feel thats largely subsided now. With the closer of the Douglas Relief Road at the SC, traffic that would have taken this route to get onto the N40 west is now coming on at the N28 and Carrs Hill, clogging up the Douglas Flyover.

To be honest, it doesn't matter too much, its just a flavour of whats to come. Once Dunkettle is done and the M28 is built, all of the traffic that would have been held back at Dunkettle will be coupled with four lanes of merging traffic at Bloomfield squeezing onto two at the Douglas flyover and will be, by some measure, the worst bottleneck in Ireland when its all done. I really think people (planners included) are not aware of how bad it will be.

All for the sake of < 2km of widening, including that of the Douglas Viaduct. Which there is actually space to widen contary to popular belief.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. The Douglas flyover will be an absolutely scanadalous bottleneck going forward. 6 lanes merging into 2. The scale of that bottleneck is unprecedented with addition traffic now joining at the upgraded Carrs Hill interchange.

Carmageddon.

Any idea when the Douglas relief road by the SC is to reopen?

Which is the Douglas flyover?

Victor wrote: »
    Which is the Douglas flyover?

The elevated 2 lane section of the N40 around J7 and J8 which has no hard shoulder and a narrow median. It’s a significant chokepoint on the N40 especially if there’s an incident

There are 4 lanes from west of Douglas to the bridge across the Douglas Estaury, so it's not just the elevated section.

Westbound
    2 lanes on the elevated section become 3 lanes when the slip road joins.

Eastbound
    3 lanes become 2 lanes when the slip roads diverge.

Where is it "6 lanes merging into 2"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Two lanes westbound from the Dunkettle direction on the N40, and due to the arrangement of slip roads coming off the M28 (if it gets built) together with slip roads from the current Bloomfield junction, there will be four seperate lanes merging at that point. So six lanes, into the two going across the Viaduct. A riot that will be.

Victor wrote: »
    There are 4 lanes from west of Douglas to the bridge across the Douglas Estaury, so it's not just the elevated section.

Westbound
    2 lanes on the elevated section become 3 lanes when the slip road joins.

Eastbound
    3 lanes become 2 lanes when the slip roads diverge.

Where is it "6 lanes merging into 2"?

When the M28 opens, at Rochestown it’ll be

2 lanes from the N40 westbound coming from Mahon
    2 segregated lanes from the M28 northbound onto the N40
    2 lanes as is currently from the R610 Rochestown Road onto the N40

The M28 will have additional traffic from the Port, expansion in Carrigaline and the additional houses being built at Maryborough, which will access the M28 via a full interchange at Carr’s Hill

I had a look at the drawings, it's actually like this.

M28 northbound splits from 2 lanes into 1 N40 east and 1 N40 west before the Rochestown merge

N40 West lane now has a flyover the Rochestown Road and 1 lane from Rochestown and 1 lane from M28 northbound merge just above the current N28/R610 merge at Bloomfield.

So at Bloomfield, it'll still be 2 lanes from M28/R610 merging with 2 lanes from N40 westbound. Still, those 4 lanes will be operating at near capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

marno21 wrote: »

M28 northbound splits from 2 lanes into 1 N40 east and 1 N40 west before the Rochestown merge

N40 West lane now has a flyover the Rochestown Road and 1 lane from Rochestown and 1 lane from M28 northbound merge just above the current N28/R610 merge at Bloomfield.

So at Bloomfield, it'll still be 2 lanes from M28/R610 merging with 2 lanes from N40 westbound. Still, those 4 lanes will be operating at near capacity.

Where the M28 splits to go towards N40 east, how does the Rochestown road meet that? Will there be two slip-ramps from Rochestown road to the M28 northbound?

marno21 wrote: »

Where the M28 splits to go towards N40 east, how does the Rochestown road meet that? Will there be two slip-ramps from Rochestown road to the M28 northbound?

The M28 north will split in 2 before Bloomfield. 2 lanes will travel to N40 west (newly constructed). 1 lane will go towards N40 east.

The road up off the Rochestown road will split into 2. One side will join up with the 2 lanes going N40 west. The only will merge with the 1 lane going N40 east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

The M28 north will split in 2 before Bloomfield. 2 lanes will travel to N40 west (newly constructed). 1 lane will go towards N40 east.

The road up off the Rochestown road will split into 2. One side will join up with the 2 lanes going N40 west. The only will merge with the 1 lane going N40 east.

Thanks. Sounds much better than the current setup. The weaving there is sketchy enough.

I had a look at this last night. The M28 split before Bloomfield will be 1 lane to M28 west and 1 lane to M28 east. That's a reduction on what's there at present (2 lanes to M28 west and 1 lane to M28 east) but will remove the R610 traffic and the associated weaving

I was wondering about this because every time I come down Carrs Hill I wondered where they would find the space for an elevated 2 lane link between M28N -> N40W. The space at Newlyn Vale is fairly tight but the elevated 1 lane flyover seems feasible especially with the reduction of R610 -> N40W also being narrowed to 1 lane.

The above situation remedies the significant weaving issues at Bloomfield which are quite dangerous at the minute given the volumes of traffic using the interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Baldilocks

Surely, the case for a right of way would be strong!

Baldilocks wrote: »
    Surely, the case for a right of way would be strong!
    They should CPO the road, and add an extra lane to the N40 above it.

Looks like these plans are back in the pipeline.

Advertisement