Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Media and English. Anybody thinking of doing it?

Options
  • 24-11-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello.
    I'm currently in my Leaving Cert year and need to fill out my CAO form. I was thinking of doing New Media and English. I was wondering is anyone else out there thinking of doing this course next year? and if any current students could tell me a bit about it and answer a few questions. I think I'd like to get into publishing or editing, something in that area, would this course be good?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

4th year NME here. Was a thread about the course recently, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057072612

Course is a good stepping stone for careers in that general area,- Though like many courses/careers you'll need work experience and/or a postgrad in many cases though to give you the edge. The good thing about the course though is that you could enter a number of careers with it, compared to the journalism course which sees you limited to practically one or two career paths

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ElizabethM

4th year NME here. Was a thread about the course recently, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057072612

Course is a good stepping stone for careers in that general area,- Though like many courses/careers you'll need work experience and/or a postgrad in many cases though to give you the edge. The good thing about the course though is that you could enter a number of careers with it, compared to the journalism course which sees you limited to practically one or two career paths
    Thanks for your help! If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan on doing once you graduate?

ElizabethM wrote: »
    Thanks for your help! If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan on doing once you graduate?

A few years abroad then a media production masters in the UK

A few years abroad then a media production masters in the UK
    Do you have any idea what others plan to do? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know what opportunities I'll have. Are there much job opportunities without doing further study?

ElizabethM wrote: »
    Do you have any idea what others plan to do? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know what opportunities I'll have. Are there much job opportunities without doing further study?

Similar enough actually, quite a number plan to travel, then on to postgrad study. A couple plan to do education hdip for secondary teaching. I know of graduates from previous years and people in my course who plan to go to/are in the UAE to work for SABIS but that's not for everyone. If you take TEFL (teaching english as foreign language) as an extra module it's actually a valuable enough thing to have because there's the world of work available.

For media related jobs though a Masters is something you'll need for the perspective, contacts, experience and maturity which a BA will not give you.

• Advertisement

Similar enough actually, quite a number plan to travel, then on to postgrad study. A couple plan to do education hdip for secondary teaching. I know of graduates from previous years and people in my course who plan to go to/are in the UAE to work for SABIS but that's not for everyone. If you take TEFL (teaching english as foreign language) as an extra module it's actually a valuable enough thing to have because there's the world of work available.

For media related jobs though a Masters is something you'll need for the perspective, contacts, experience and maturity which a BA will not give you.
    How did you find the course? How was the media side of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aimeeabsinthe

What kind of books do you need for this course? Is there many?

What kind of books do you need for this course? Is there many?

Many yes but you can get most of them in the library or secondhand. Don't buy all the books at the start of the year.

Advertisement