Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Media and English

Options
  • 31-10-2013 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm in 6th year now and I'm seriously considering putting New Media and English in UL as my first choice. I'm in honours English in school but I wouldn't be above average at it or anything. I'm mainly interested in The New Media side of the course. Would I find the English aspect of this course difficult if I get a place? Is it much different to English in school and are the exams in English achievable for someone who does not majorly enjoy it in school.
    Also could anyone tell me their opinions on The New Media side of the course and what it entails?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Hi,
    I'm in 6th year now and I'm seriously considering putting New Media and English in UL as my first choice. I'm in honours English in school but I wouldn't be above average at it or anything. I'm mainly interested in The New Media side of the course. Would I find the English aspect of this course difficult if I get a place? Is it much different to English in school and are the exams in English achievable for someone who does not majorly enjoy it in school.
    Also could anyone tell me their opinions on The New Media side of the course and what it entails?

I'm in final year in this course. To be honest it was nothing like what I expected. As regards English, you can forget everything you ever learned in secondary school English as there are practically no correlations. It starts with ancient literature (1700/1800's ish), so first and second year are a bit drab for that reason however it gets far more interesting as the years go on. FYI you might not have to do any English exams as the assessments vary depending on the lecturer, you could instead just have multiple essays to write, and perhaps percentage given for tutorial attendance, presentations etc. There is a free writing centre available if you need help with writing academically- this is a very new concept when you come to college!

They have improved some of the new media offerings for 1st/2nd year, details http://www3.ul.ie/courses/NewMediaAndEnglish.php . Some of the modules are v. interesting but at the same time some of them are terribly badly organised. Erasmus in 3rd year also, the highlight of the course by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Thanks for the reply!
    Is it an extremely difficult course particularly first year? Yeah I would definitely need the writing centre place. Also are there many in the class?
    I was down at UL today and it is definitely where I want to be this time next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Thanks for the reply!
    Is it an extremely difficult course particularly first year? Yeah I would definitely need the writing centre place. Also are there many in the class?
    I was down at UL today and it is definitely where I want to be this time next year!

Difficult no, you just need to adapt and apply yourself to it really.

About 40 I think in my group. But the modules are shared across different courses, so could potentially be up to 200+ in one lecture.

Advertisement