Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ravens Terrace traffic route change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

That tree has been transplanted, to a field in barna not far from the golf course would ye believe, it didn't go to waste for those concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

dilallio wrote: »

"In 1999, the upgrading of the National route from Limerick to Galway was postponed and rerouted for ten years after it was supposed to start. All because of a little tree..."

"Rerouted for ten years"? Come, come. Sounds like a fairy story. :D

Evidence please, regarding the alleged "ten year" delay.

The part about Eddie Lenihan agus a sceach gheal is true, but anyone who thinks it caused the Newmarket-on-Fergus Bypass to be "rerouted for ten years" would believe any old guff imo.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fairies-cry-foul-at-new-25m-bypass-26044101.html

1526155.jpg

ballinadog wrote: »
    That tree has been transplanted, to a field in barna not far from the golf course would ye believe, it didn't go to waste for those concerned

Pix or it didn't happen. ;)

zarquon wrote: »
    On a more serious note, it is cringeworthy to see infrastructural progress stifled due to the whims of a minority or in some cases just one!

Moved to pastures new, TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Nice to know all those with a chopped down decorated tree in the corner of their living room right now will need to find another reason to complain about infrastructural upgrades in the city ;)

zarquon wrote: »
    another reason to complain about infrastructural upgrades in the city

That word "upgrade" again. What are the objective criteria for determining that any particular scheme, such as the Raven Terrace/Fr Griffin Road revised layout, represents an "upgrade" for all road users?

Consider this remark in a separate thread:
    the new system of lanes coming up to the fire station from Salthill makes it difficult [for cyclists] to get to the top of the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I never said it was an upgrade for all road users. Apparently some people won't deem works like Raven's terrace to be an actual upgrade unless cyclists are given priority in the design. If a bus lane was added rather than a cycle lane would you call it a downgrade?

It's all relative, some will deem it an upgrade, others will see little change. It's also not the end of the world if a cyclist cannot make it to the top of the queue, just stay in the queue like every other road user. My experience of the area around the terrace though is that a lot of local cyclists like to skip the traffic and run through the red light at the station. I will blame mostly the student cyclists in the area with GTI just there and many NUIG residents in the area. The more experienced and professional cyclists do adhere to the rules however running redlights is pandemic in this area therefore such cyclists would only see the removal of the lights as an "upgrade"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Posters, stick to informative posts on these roadworks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

McTigs wrote: »
    the new system of lanes coming up to he fire station from salthill makes it difficult to get to the top of the queue.

Agreed, the city council actively removed road capacity from cyclists in the revised design at this junction.

In effect this design - like similar design elsewhere in the city - acts to push cyclists up onto footpaths which is illegal and often dangerous for the cyclists as well as the pedestrians (although the same city engineers are on written record as disputing whether footpath cycling is illegal - while at the same time the Minister for Transport is bringing in penalty points for the same offence).

Perhaps the strangest thing is that I understand that these Raven Terrace works were proposed at the council by Councillor Donal Lyons who is then going around complaining about cycling along the footpaths along the prom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

Agreed, the city council actively removed road capacity from cyclists in the revised design at this junction.

In effect this design - like similar design elsewhere in the city - acts to push cyclists up onto footpaths which is illegal and often dangerous for the cyclists as well as the pedestrians (although the same city engineers are on written record as disputing whether footpath cycling is illegal - while at the same time the Minister for Transport is bringing in penalty points for the same offence).

Perhaps the strangest thing is that I understand that these Raven Terrace works were proposed at the council by Councillor Donal Lyons who is then going around complaining about cycling along the footpaths along the prom.
    Stop with this nonsense please, cyclists don't have a God given right to make it to the top of the queue at traffic lights. They can wait in line like everyone else when necessary, it's hardly that much of a hardship. You're the one who wants them to be recognised as vehicles anyway. Forced onto footways my arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    Stop with this nonsense please, cyclists don't have a God given right to make it to the top of the queue at traffic lights. They can wait in line like everyone else when necessary, it's hardly that much of a hardship. You're the one who wants them to be recognised as vehicles anyway. Forced onto footways my arse.

I have replied here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88061563&postcount=616

To avoid dragging this thread off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cleahaigh and galwaycyclist banned from thread for ignoring mod instructions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is this finished?
    The surface on Ravens is uneven with lava flow type lumps of tarmacadam on the surface.
    Where is the ramp on Dominick Street as outlined in the map?
    http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccvisual/viewer/raventerrace.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is this finished?

Didn't look like it when I passed during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

No it's not quite, parts of it are to get this fancy painted street print that mimics brick paving (similar to Rosemary Lane off Eyre Square) and which requires good weather...

which requires good weather...

Permanently? :)

Any update on this scheme?

I'd be particularly interested in knowing how the revised flow directions are functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,684 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness, I think the council workers have had their hands full elsehwere in the last week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Any update on this scheme?

I'd be particularly interested in knowing how the revised flow directions are functioning.

I was down there on Sat evening. Everytime a car space became free outside the off licence, different cars coming from Monroes direction (Upr. Fairhill Rd.) would spot the space and enter through the exit (against the arrows wrong way).

There is no sign before that exit stating that a left turn is prohibited - instead, there are 2 signs on the exit stating 'straight-ahead prohibited.
    You would have to be right next to them though to see them.

I even spotted one gentleman do a full circle of the block in the wrong direction!

In fairness, I think the council workers have had their hands full elsehwere in the last week or two.

No criticism, explicit or implicit, of Council workers (or contractors) in my post. Just wondering how the new layout is faring in the interim, with particular reference to traffic flows.

dilallio wrote: »
    There is no sign before that exit stating that a left turn is prohibited - instead, there are 2 signs on the exit stating 'straight-ahead prohibited.
    You would have to be right next to them though to see them.

Ya, as a randomly-walking-by pedestrian, I'm not 100% sure which way traffic is supposed to go: seems to me it could go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Definitely more signage needed on the direction traffic is supposed to go around the car park.

Road by salt house is closed this evening presumably to carry out more works

Has work resumed on this scheme?

I passed that way over the weekend. As I waited to turn right into Upper Fairhill Road (from Fire Station towards Monroe's), I noticed a commercial van dart into the car-park and exit onto Upper Fairhill Road in order to dodge the lights.

Is this a common occurrence, and are there any modifications yet to be completed that might eliminate the practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Has work resumed on this scheme?

I passed that way over the weekend. As I waited to turn right into Upper Fairhill Road (from Fire Station towards Monroe's), I noticed a commercial van dart into the car-park and exit onto Upper Fairhill Road in order to dodge the lights.

Is this a common occurrence, and are there any modifications yet to be completed that might eliminate the practice?

This isn't common. Actually haven't seen anyone do it as the light changes seem to be in favour of turning right there.

Don't know what modifications could stop someone doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

I see that metal bollards have been installed in Raven Terrace (saw them working there yesterday), at the Dominick St./Lower Fairhill Road end, closing off Access from that side.

I didn't think this was part of the original plan. Does anyone know what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Popular public opinion won out and The Salthouse is due to open an extended canal side seating area! :D
    All joking aside, I don't know but that traffic system they had linking the small car park on Fr Griffin Rd side was a disaster, I broke the rules once or twice unwittingly tbh

serfboard wrote: »
    I see that metal bollards have been installed in Raven Terrace (saw them working there yesterday), at the Dominick St./Lower Fairhill Road end, closing off Access from that side.

I didn't think this was part of the original plan. Does anyone know what's going on?

You may well ask. I am mystified by this scheme. To take just one (crucial) element of the project, where exactly is traffic being calmed?

The original plans for the "traffic calming" do not appear to show bollards at the Dominick Street end. Are they of the fixed or retractable type?

299320.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The ramps are on the road and really slows traffic and narrows the road.
    The whole layout is a bit of a mess to my untrained eye..and yes I'm still in mourning for the evicted tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

A few things I've noticed about traffic flow since the works have been done:
    The car park has become a rat run for cars intending to turn right from fr griffin rd towards Dominick St. If the light is red cars cut through the car park to avoid the lights.
    At the weekends, all of the road between the lights and Monroe's has become a taxi rank for a few hours around closing time for the pubs and clubs.

The original plans for the "traffic calming" do not appear to show bollards at the Dominick Street end. Are they of the fixed or retractable type?

Removable. Were not in place when I walked past at the weekend, but there are fittings for them to be put back.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    The ramps are on the road and really slows traffic and narrows the road.

The whole layout is a bit of a mess to my untrained eye..and yes I'm still in mourning for the evicted tree.

Ramps plural? On which road(s)?

As for the tree that you still, ahem, pine for, have you visited it in its new home? :)

ratracer wrote: »
    A few things I've noticed about traffic flow since the works have been done:
    The car park has become a rat run for cars intending to turn right from fr griffin rd towards Dominick St. If the light is red cars cut through the car park to avoid the lights.
    At the weekends, all of the road between the lights and Monroe's has become a taxi rank for a few hours around closing time for the pubs and clubs.

I've seen this happen too. It was suggested earlier (post #84) that this was not a common occurrence.

Removable. Were not in place when I walked past at the weekend, but there are fittings for them to be put back.

So are the removable bollards across the entrance/exit to Raven's Terrace? I was down there a couple of weeks ago and the only bollards I saw were along both sides of Raven Terrace, parallel to the roadway.

Advertisement