Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in claremorris

Options
  • 23-11-2013 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Can anyone offer me advice on what time of town claremorris is to live in? We are thinking of buying a house there & would love to hear what ppl have to say in relation to: safety, social life, cost of living, shopping, people, friendliness, community spirit etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Dont know a whole lot about the day to day goings on, but some general info:

Great location: very convenient to Knock Airport, Galway and Castlebar

Active Golf club, GAA Club, soccer club and more recently a rugby club

Plenty of pubs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

halloffame wrote: »
    Can anyone offer me advice on what time of town claremorris is to live in? We are thinking of buying a house there & would love to hear what ppl have to say in relation to: safety, social life, cost of living, shopping, people, friendliness, community spirit etc

Worked there for a number of years and was out there plenty of times.

Seems like a good town, its small but its got plenty of nice pubs and Tesco and Aldi so its easy to shop in.
    Its about 25 mins from Castlebar and its about 35 mins from Galway.
    Cost of living would be decent I would suspect.
    Saftey, never had an issues there in fairness.
    Everyone there seemed dead on, couldn't complain about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It seems like a lovely place with lots of amenities but as with anywhere it is better to rent for up to a year before buying a house, and get to know it for yourself before commiting. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 halloffame

Thanks for the feedback. All seems positive enough. We are not keen on the idea of paying rent for up to a year as we are ready to buy when we find the right house. Just wanted to get people's views on the area.

Another question- any estates or areas that are worth looking into? Or any worth avoiding? Thank s !

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Any reason you're choosing Claremorris in particular?

• Advertisement

We are not keen on the idea of paying rent for up to a year as we are ready to buy when we find the right house. Just wanted to get people's views on the area.

Paying rent may not be the negative thing you think, as if you buy a house without doing your research you will pay for years to come, possibly much more than a years rent, and you will not know an area till you live in it. Buying a house is not a thing to be rushed.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Thanks for the feedback. All seems positive enough. We are not keen on the idea of paying rent for up to a year as we are ready to buy when we find the right house. Just wanted to get people's views on the area.

Another question- any estates or areas that are worth looking into? Or any worth avoiding? Thank s !

You'd be daft to not familiarise yourself with an area before buying in fairness. One persons idea of grand might not match up with yours. I've worked in the town previously but I'd still rent somewhere for a while before committing to purchasing a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

yop wrote: »
    Worked there for a number of years and was out there plenty of times.

Seems like a good town, its small but its got plenty of nice pubs and Tesco and Aldi so its easy to shop in.
    Its about 25 mins from Castlebar and its about 35 mins from Galway.
    Cost of living would be decent I would suspect.
    Saftey, never had an issues there in fairness.
    Everyone there seemed dead on, couldn't complain about the place.

In fairness if you can get to galway in 35 minutes on an "average" day you'd be breaking any number of laws I would think.
    Even getting to the "east" of the city would be 1 hour plus on your average day, considerably more depending on traffic/time of day etc.

There are a lot of pubs, a couple of clubs, depending on the time of year, a couple of good restaurants, plenty shops of differing types, plenty sporting options there as well.
    It's a nice spot and I've not heard of any major trouble there down the years to be honest.
    Some nice walks and parks around the place and it is relatively close to a few towns with jobs etc.

I would recommending renting for a while though, the biggest thing about moving to a town you dont know is the loss of a "support" network (if you had one).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

kippy wrote: »
    In fairness if you can get to galway in 35 minutes on an "average" day you'd be breaking any number of laws I would think.
    Even getting to the "east" of the city would be 1 hour plus on your average day, considerably more depending on traffic/time of day etc.
    Claremorris to Parkmore takes 35-40 mins, I do it daily.

Claremorris to Parkmore takes 35-40 mins, I do it daily.

What times?

• Advertisement

What times?

6.50am departing.

We've decided on Claremorris for a number of reasons- location, work, cost, kids etc. We have family nearby (but not too near!) and have heard only positive things about the place. W have visited a number of times and got a good feel for the place- Just wanted to see if anyone here had another perspective. We will think about renting for the short term but are almost sold on the town of Claremorris... Any nice areas/estates in the area?

We've decided on Claremorris for a number of reasons- location, work, cost, kids etc. We have family nearby (but not too near!) and have heard only positive things about the place. W have visited a number of times and got a good feel for the place- Just wanted to see if anyone here had another perspective. We will think about renting for the short term but are almost sold on the town of Claremorris... Any nice areas/estates in the area?

How are you sold on a place that you don't really know? Have you stayed there at all?

Yes, stayed a good few times. Like the place but looking for any and all viewpoints

How are you sold on a place that you don't really know? Have you stayed there at all?

I think the "we have visited a number of times" and how they have family live nearby would help their decision.

I think the "we have visited a number of times" and how they have family live nearby would help their decision.

Sure, but you cant beat actually spending time somewhere to get to know it. There are a lot of places that are nice to visit but would not be as fun to live. Buying a house is a big decision, I don't think you can be armed with too much knowledge. Ideally renting in the place you want to purchase would be best.

6.50am departing.

Fair enough, doable that time of the morning but you'd probably be motoring.......

Fair enough, doable that time of the morning but you'd probably be motoring.......

80kmph all the way Kippy ;) Its quite, 10 mins later leaving and I bet it adds another 15.

80kmph all the way Kippy ;) Its quite, 10 mins later leaving and I bet it adds another 15.

I bet ;)
    Its often taken me an hour from Milltown in the "wrong" conditions (about 7.30 leaving or on a sunday evening) but thankfully its not a trip I do regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

shopping is not great in claremorris if your looking for a few of the more branded stores but castlebar is only down the road.

• Advertisement

Has Smyths toys and Elverys that we don't have in Ballinrobe... :D

Oldtree wrote: »
    Has Smyths toys and Elverys that we don't have in Ballinrobe... :D

Ah yes but yous have the "bull" loving Super Valu ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ilovegalway

Its a nice place to bring up kids. Within ten minutes drive,you have a choice of over 5 national schools. We have super value, Centra, aldi and tesco. Also have a leisure centre and an indoor athletic track. You also have great connectivity as we have a train station. There is great community spirit here. 20 min drive to castlebar where you have GMIT mayo campus!
    In fairness there are some nice restaurants and cafes.

Ah yes but yous have the "bull" loving Super Valu ;)

wold famous bull at that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Oldtree wrote: »
    wold famous bull at that :D

Mod Note: Don't particularly like the tone of that comment.

Cheers all, thanks for feedback. We have looked at tuam milltown Ballinrobe knock & Castlebar also but decided on claremorris. Not a rushed decision at all. As someone said you can never have enough info when buying a house and that's what this thread was about. Everyone has been really helpful & largely positive too I may add!!

If anyone wants to suggest an townland, area or estate in claremorris region that's top notch that'd be great to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I bet ;)
    Its often taken me an hour from Milltown in the "wrong" conditions (about 7.30 leaving or on a sunday evening) but thankfully its not a trip I do regularly.

Takes DH 45mins, max 50mins, from Milltown. That's leaving @ 7.10.

35mins from C'morris is good (fast) going... not sure if i'd want my DH doing it quite so speedy :rolleyes:

ariana` wrote: »
    Takes DH 45mins, max 50mins, from Milltown. That's leaving @ 7.10.

35mins from C'morris is good (fast) going... not sure if i'd want my DH doing it quite so speedy :rolleyes:

20 mins that time of the morning will add 15-20 mins more to the journey, its backlog at that time of the morning, hence early bird catch less traffic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

20 mins that time of the morning will add 15-20 mins more to the journey, its backlog at that time of the morning, hence early bird catch less traffic ;)

Ah but you're going from C'Morris so you're probably only 8mins ahead of him by the time you're passing Milltown. I do the journey at various times of the day/evening/night and at best it's very close to 30mins from Milltown-Claregalway, so 35mins from C'morris-Galway City is questionable at any time of the day or night. I think it's unrealistic to tell the OP that Claremorris is 35mins from Galway City but that's my opinion - it's closer to 1hr.

Sorry OP gone totally off-topic. I work in C'Morris and like it well enough. Coming from the city i miss the city, but if you're coming from a more rural or small town backround then i'd say it would tick the boxes. It has the basics in terms of supermarkets, library, police station, toy shop, sports wear, shoe shops, and a couple of clothes shops (though only 1 to my liking!), playground for small kids, indoor play-centre for small kids, cafes, restaurants, pub, hotel, swimming pool, gym, park for walks/bike rides, athletics club, gaa clubs and so on. And as others have said proximity to Castlebar and Galway, which both have hospitals/3rd level institutions and other amenities, is an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Claremorris is a town that has been really developing over the last 10 years. I'd imagine it's a really good town for a young family. The connectivity is also excellent - close to a developing international airport, train to Dublin, on the N17 with easy access to Galway and Sligo, close to Castlebar...etc.

Good amenities in the town - sports clubs, shops, good hotel, restaurants, bars, schools..

Also, there were a lot of new builds there over the last 10 years so there are bound to be ample purchasing opportunities.

Advertisement