Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding (oil) on a Reillo RDB2 Kerosene burner ?

Options
  • 22-11-2013 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there - numerous times I let the oil tank run low (not out of choice!) the cut-out comes on the burner and then I have to put some in the tank and then go through the tedious task of bleeding the air out through the burner and getting out all the air thats drawn in from the tank and down the oil line before the boiler will start. As in tedious I mean i could be out there and it could be a good 15 to 20 times I have to press the cut-out switch waiting around 15-20 seconds in between presses of the cut out switch just let any oil in the chamber to evaporate before i finally get her to fire up and then im OK after that. As I am pressing the cut out I have to open the pressure gauge allen bolt (note i said pressure gauge port and not the oil bleed port on the left hand side of the oil pump) and after a few seconds of pressing the cut out switch the oil (and bubbles of air) come out through where you attach the pressure gauge, its only after successful lighting of the boiler do I close up the allen bolt on the pressure gauge port.

Now why do you reckon it is that when I put some oil in the tank will no oil flow out of the proper port at the left hand side of the oil pump where you are supposed to bleed it, why is there no oil flowing when i undoo the valve with an allen key? - I am presuming the system works on the gravity principal, the oil tank is up a little bank and is higher than the outside boiler casing, so Im presuming that when you open the bleed screw on the left hand side of the oil pump that oil and air should pour out of that hole without even pressing the cut out switch and initiating the oil pump and all by gravity? no?

There cant be a blockage in the oil line pipe or anywhere because when the boiler is fired up its all working fine and not being starved of oil and I have checked the filter at the tank end and its all clean, so i wonder why I just cant seem to bleed the oil (and trapped air) through the bleed screw at the side of the oil pump as you are supposed to do, why does no oil and aire come out of that hole when I undo the plug with the allen key? Anyone know? - I reckon if I could get it to flow out as it should do I reckon next time the boiler runs out of oil it would be a lot easier to bleed if it did, all I would have to do is put a jar under the pump, open up the bleed screw with an allen key, wait for the oil to flow through freely and then start up the boiler with a coulple of presses of the cut-out/lock out switch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

how much oil do you put in tank when you run out

if you keep up this practice of letting oil run out all the time you will soon be on here asking how to change fuel pump on riello rdb me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

numerous times I let the oil tank run low (not out of choice!) the cut-out comes on the burner and then I have to put some in the tank

Just how low and how much you puttin in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

First you need to open the bleed screw on top of the inlet filter. Close when you get fuel. Then crack the flexi hose connection going into the pump. Close when you get fuel. Then crack the recessed allen screw on the pump housing and start the boiler. Close the screw when you get fuel. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Just how low and how much you puttin in ?

were on a budget at the moment and rather than getting a costly fill or half fill of oil from a truck we got 2x 20ltr containers and fill them up from a local petrol station and put them in the tank - I make sure it covers past the oil outlet at the bottom of the tank, for 15ltrs kerosene its 15euro Id say at the moment we are putting in 60euro a week, on oil and its not even the freezing cold weather but at least although its a pain filing it up like this in this way, doing it this way we are keeping tabs on what we are spending...

were on a budget at the moment and rather than getting a costly fill or half fill of oil from a truck we got 2x 20ltr containers and fill them up from a local petrol station and put them in the tank - I make sure it covers past the oil outlet at the bottom of the tank, for 15ltrs kerosene its 15euro Id say at the moment we are putting in 60euro a week, on oil and its not even the freezing cold weather but at least although its a pain filing it up like this in this way, doing it this way we are keeping tabs on what we are spending...

that's the ways things are at the moment andy

but I would think its the volume of oil in the tank that's causing you the problem

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    First you need to open the bleed screw on top of the inlet filter. Close when you get fuel. Then crack the flexi hose connection going into the pump. Close when you get fuel. Then crack the recessed allen screw on the pump housing and start the boiler. Close the screw when you get fuel. Job done.

cheers for the advice, I've got a filter at the bottom of the tank, then it goes into oil line (copper covered with white pvc) then it goes straight into fire valve in the boiler housing (above the riello burner), have no inlet filter in the boiler housing though, and then flexible pipe from FV to burner ..

Not that the op asked but your technique isn't exactly detailed and could possible see someone play with the pressure adjustment SCREW, there is no screw to open when bleeding a Riello RDB and cracking open everything you see may get it working but could also see you on the phone to a service Engineer.

I'm with Jim Andy, if you could afford to stick a couple of hundred in and use that as your float you have less hassle.

I'm with Jim Andy, if you could afford to stick a couple of hundred in and use that as your float you have less hassle.

this is getting serious im starting to think like you I was going to suggest the same more or less only I was going to say 150 and keep topping up as you are at the moment you always have a bit of a buffer then and if you missed a week

jimf wrote: »
    this is getting serious im starting to think like you

You ever fantasies about Speedo's :D

• Advertisement

You ever fantasies about Speedo's :D

ah ffs this is getting too heavy for me im off on a call out poor old dear has no heat

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Check to see if yor oil company has a budget plan. The way you are going is going to lead to much more expense in the long run. But I do understand that you do what you have to do. I am just suggesting other possible options. You have come to the right place for good advice.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Andy see attachment
    Nw

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

North West wrote: »
    Hi Andy see attachment
    Nw

NW. It would have been easier for everybody if you wrote your reply in plain text and only used your attachment for the diagram. That way we wouldn't have to open the attachment to see the gist of your reply.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

North West wrote: »
    Hi Andy see attachment
    Nw

Thanks NW - have emailed a place in Galway that will do a 150euro fill and asked how many litres I would get for 150euro

Thanks NW - have emailed a place in Galway that will do a 150euro fill and asked how many litres I would get for 150euro

probably somewhere around 170 litres based on limerick prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Next time you need to bleed this, Unscrew the coil off the solenoid valve, then there's 2 crosshead screws holding the assembly onto the pump.
    remove one screw, loosen the other as much as possible, then just lift the valve to allow the air out. Its a much more effective way for low pressures.

jimf wrote: »
    probably somewhere around 170 litres based on limerick prices

thats about 89c a litre not too bad then I suppose, doing our way with the containers we are being charged 1euro a litre ....

whizbang wrote: »
    Next time you need to bleed this, Unscrew the coil off the solenoid valve, then there's 2 crosshead screws holding the assembly onto the pump.
    remove one screw, loosen the other as much as possible, then just lift the valve to allow the air out. Its a much more effective way for low pressures.

not on the riello rdb pump there on the riello 40 pump

Not that the op asked but your technique isn't exactly detailed and could possible see someone play with the pressure adjustment SCREW, there is no screw to open when bleeding a Riello RDB and cracking open everything you see may get it working but could also see you on the phone to a service Engineer.
    I thought i was fairly specific actually! And the op did kind of ask. Well, more or less said he had a problem with airlocks. I dont, because i follow what i said above.
    In fairness, there is a risk he could open the pressure adjustment screw but i was fairly specific by mentioning a recessed allen screw. I did open off my pressure adjustment screw before but the boiler kept working, albeit not as efficiently. Got a pressure gauge and sorted that out.
    In any case, by following my procedure i have had zero dramas with my boiler after letting it run dry. And my pump hasnt died yet!

• Advertisement

I thought i was fairly specific actually!
    In fairness, there is a risk he could open the pressure adjustment screw

I beg to differ, you were no where near specific, and while i'm sure you meant well with your advice if giving this type of advice you need to be very specific because you do not know the capabilities of those doing the questioning and you could end up getting them into all sorts of problems, we are all here to try and help but a little thought into a reply is required.

I beg to differ, you were no where near specific, and while i'm sure you meant well with your advice if giving this type of advice you need to be very specific because you do not know the capabilities of those doing the questioning and you could end up getting them into all sorts of problems, we are all here to try and help but a little thought into a reply is required.
    Yes. I was specific. Very specific. Any more would need a photograph. If the op was that incompetent then a professional should be called.
    I meant well too. I'm all for a lad doing things himself and would go out of my way to help.
    Sorry i bothered now. Boards me arse. Just phone a professional from the golden pages ffs.

Yes. I was specific. Very specific. Any more would need a photograph. If the op was that incompetent then a professional should be called.

That's just my point, you didn't know how competent the op was yet, imo, and yours according to your last reply, you were no way specific and the op could have messed with the pressure adjustment screw.

That's just my point, you didn't know how competent the op was yet, imo, and yours according to your last reply, you were no way specific and the op could have messed with the pressure adjustment screw.

Dont worry lads I know where the pressure adjustment screw is LOL and I have never and will never adjust it! - and me wife says im very competent not at just fixing boilers but other things as well LOL

i aint learnt the errors of my ways, it wont stop me fiddling with stuff and trying to save money either and i have got some knowledge

Hope your wife put a end to your fiddling with things ;)

Hope your wife put a end to your fiddling with things ;)

Nope, the only thing that will put an end to fiddling with things is if I have a fatal electrocution or get blown up fixing boilers or something like that! :( - its inbuilt im afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Nope, the only thing that will put an end to fiddling with things is if I have a fatal electrocution or get blown up fixing boilers or something like that! :( - its inbuilt im afraid!

Nice to see you would gamble with your life so easy.

But gambling with others is downright stupidity and selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I meant well too. I'm all for a lad doing things himself and would go out of my way to help.
    Sorry i bothered now. Boards me arse. Just phone a professional from the golden pages ffs.

It's all great helping someone until an accident happens, and you get the finger pointed at you.

He told me to do it your honour.

Stupid people don't know their stupid;)

When you work in a environment that allows you to see the outcome of stupidity you become less trusting:eek: in the ability of those who are unschooled.

It would be wrong to say all those who are unschooled are incompetent but it's also wrong not to take in to account those who wish to meet their maker using the medium of stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Don't they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Advertisement