Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive-by shootings by British Army in Northern Ireland

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Nodin wrote: »
    No, you've just been trying to derail a thread about the BA for some period of time.

I thought it was about colonial policing between 1860 and 1960?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sand wrote: »
    I thought it was about colonial policing between 1860 and 1960?

That was in answer to the idea that it was a ridiculous notion. It was colonial 'policing' mainly from 1945 up to 1967 I was referring to, as I far as a recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Happyman42 wrote: »
    :) And the 'platoon sergeant' is doing all those things in combat so that soldiers can make faces at the enemy?
    Rank in any army is achieved on the basis of your effectiveness and efficiency at achieving the goals of that army.

The platoon Sargent is doing all these things in combat to enable his sections to fight effectively and also to allow the platoon commander to concentrate on commanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

junder wrote: »
    Clegg would have had to have passed the relevant courses and there would have had to have been a sgt's position available. Sgt is not just a rank, its a job position. Normally the first position is platoon Sgt and would put the Sgt in control of normally 3 - 4 sections each consisting of about 8 men. In combat situation being platoon Sgt means a hell of a lot of running about as the platoon Sgt will be in charge of the reorg, replening ammunition etc, passing casualtys and pow's up the line which would mean having to literally run between the attacking sections, the fire support sections and the reserve sections so he can keep the platoon lieutenant informed of the situation. So no Clegg would not have been promoted for the hell of it. Mind telling me how rank is achieved within the ira, number of people killed, number of bombs let of?

Another strawman,

I didn't ask what a Sgt. does, I already know that

You still haven't explained what Clegg did to get promoted, promotions to Sgt. are supposedly merit based in the BA.
    Mind telling me how rank is achieved within the ira, number of people killed, number of bombs let of?

I don't know, rather than attempt a diversion with a whataboutery red herring, you'll have to ask in the correct thread. Murdering Provo's are no different to murdering Brits in my book.

EunanMac wrote: »
    You still haven't explained what Clegg did to get promoted, promotions to Sgt. are supposedly merit based in the BA.

You're highly unlikely to find the people who actually made the decision to promote Clegg posting in this thread. So you're unlikely to get a breakdown of their thinking. All I can tell you is he was an experienced, qualified soldier, innocent of any crime and there was obviously a position open that he went for and got. Unless you have some point to make, you need to get over that.

You still haven't explained or justified your belief that Clegg got promoted for "getting off in court". What is your evidence for that?

• Advertisement

You're highly unlikely to find the people who actually made the decision to promote Clegg posting in this thread. So you're unlikely to get a breakdown of their thinking. All I can tell you is he was an experienced, qualified soldier, innocent of any crime and there was obviously a position open that he went for and got. Unless you have some point to make, you need to get over that.

You still haven't explained or justified your belief that Clegg got promoted for "getting off in court". What is your evidence for that?

Because he went from Private when goaled to Sgt. just after he was released
    How do you get experience, service and merit to go from Private to Sgt. while in Prison ?

Because he went from Private when goaled to Sgt. just after he was released
    How do you get experience, service and merit to go from Private to Sgt. while in Prison ?

He was released on licence after two years, and then waged an ultimately successful appeals process being cleared of murdering one joyrider in 1999 and unlawfully wounding the other in 2000. Clegg continued to serve as a PT instructor at Catterick during his appeals process. I presume he built up the requisite experience doing his job whilst waiting for the courts to clear his name.

And he wasn't promoted directly to Sergeant from private. He was promoted to Corporal in March 2000, after he had been cleared of the last criminal charge against him in Jan 2000. 5 years after he had been released.

He was promoted to Sergeant in 2001 - 6 years after he was released. He was at that point 31 or thereabouts, so on the "average" for the promotion if he was capable, which apparently he is.

I have to point out...I'm not Clegg's biographer. All this information is freely available if you choose to examine it, rather than simply live in the self pitying mythology.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Released on licence after two years.." and then appealed his convictions?

If you are correct in the chronology, why was he released so soon while he still stood convicted?

Also, as you persist in using this case to prove that the BA did indeed allow soldiers to be prosecuted for unlawful killing, can you cite any/many other such successful prosecutions? Off-hand, I cannot think of any. The exception does not prove the rule.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The platoon Sargent is doing all these things in combat to enable his sections to fight effectively and also to allow the platoon commander to concentrate on commanding.

Yes, and I'm sure that people had jobs to do in the IRA also, and got promoted demoted based on their efficiency at doing their jobs etc etc. No different to any army.

He was released on licence after two years, and then waged an ultimately successful appeals process being cleared of murdering one joyrider in 1999 and unlawfully wounding the other in 2000. Clegg continued to serve as a PT instructor at Catterick during his appeals process. I presume he built up the requisite experience doing his job whilst waiting for the courts to clear his name.

And he wasn't promoted directly to Sergeant from private. He was promoted to Corporal in March 2000, after he had been cleared of the last criminal charge against him in Jan 2000. 5 years after he had been released.

He was promoted to Sergeant in 2001 - 6 years after he was released. He was at that point 31 or thereabouts, so on the "average" for the promotion if he was capable, which apparently he is.

I have to point out...I'm not Clegg's biographer. All this information is freely available if you choose to examine it, rather than simply live in the self pitying mythology.

And yet again, you provide nothing to explain what Clegg did to get promoted

And if Clegg didn't kill the teenagers, who did, and why were they never charged ?

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    "Released on licence after two years.." and then appealed his convictions?

If you are correct in the chronology, why was he released so soon while he still stood convicted?

If you don't even know the basics of the case, why are you so exercised by it?
    Also, as you persist in using this case to prove that the BA did indeed allow soldiers to be prosecuted for unlawful killing, can you cite any/many other such successful prosecutions? Off-hand, I cannot think of any. The exception does not prove the rule.

Its not the exception: Apparently a few years ago there were more serving and former British soldiers in jail or on probation than there were deployed to Afghanistan.

Royal marine jailed for executing that Afghan, a Grenadier Guardsman jailed for getting drunk and stabbing a 10 year old Afghan boy, that SAS guy jailed for possession of an illegal weapon, that Corporal from the QLR (no longer exists for a reason) who beat to death an Iraqi prisoner over 24 hours, another British soldier jailed for having a private hoard of weaponry, and on and on...

You need to get over the mythology - if Provos want truth and reconciliation they need to start being able to acknowledge objective evidence and face facts. There have been clear miscarriages of justice like the Bloody Sunday whitewash. Wallowing in self pity as a result is pointless.

@Happyman42
    Yes, and I'm sure that people had jobs to do in the IRA also, and got promoted demoted based on their efficiency at doing their jobs etc etc. No different to any army.

They weren't an army. It wasn't a war.

@EunanMac
    And yet again, you provide nothing to explain what Clegg did to get promoted

And yet again you don't get that I don't have to. You are the one claiming he got promoted for "getting off in court" without providing a shred of evidence. It is you who have to prove your claim - I don't have to disprove it.

I dont think you can provide a shred of evidence either given you get very simple, basic facts of the case wrong - such as your claim Clegg was promoted from private to sergeant directly. And you didn't realise Clegg was realeased for at least 5 years by the time he was cleared on appeals.
    And if Clegg didn't kill the teenagers, who did, and why were they never charged ?

Oh Clegg (and his colleagues) killed them. That was never in doubt. It was just a question if he lawfully used his weapon to defend himself and his unit from a joyriders car ramming through his checkpoint, or if he murdered them. The courts (ultimately) found the latter not to be true.

Again, I'm surprised people know very, very little about the case and yet get very angry about it. I'd have thought they'd have an interest and educate themselves on it but I guess there is a lot of mythology out there, and very little objective examination of the evidence.

Oh Clegg (and his colleagues) killed them. That was never in doubt. It was just a question if he lawfully used his weapon to defend himself and his unit from a joyriders car ramming through his checkpoint, or if he murdered them. The courts (ultimately) found the latter not to be true.

Again, I'm surprised people know very, very little about the case and yet get very angry about it. I'd have thought they'd have an interest and educate themselves on it but I guess there is a lot of mythology out there, and very little objective examination of the evidence.

But he didn't use it in defence.
    The kids were shot dead leaving the checkpoint, not approaching it, there was no 'threat' to anyone.

But he didn't use it in defence.
    The kids were shot dead leaving the checkpoint, not approaching it, there was no 'threat' to anyone.

The courts and forensics found differently.

Given you make glaring mistakes on basic points of the case, I think I'll trust their judgement over yours.

Its not the exception: Apparently a few years ago there were more serving and former British soldiers in jail or on probation than there were deployed to Afghanistan.

Royal marine jailed for executing that Afghan, a Grenadier Guardsman jailed for getting drunk and stabbing a 10 year old Afghan boy, that SAS guy jailed for possession of an illegal weapon, that Corporal from the QLR (no longer exists for a reason) who beat to death an Iraqi prisoner over 24 hours, another British soldier jailed for having a private hoard of weaponry, and on and on...

You need to get over the mythology - if Provos want truth and reconciliation they need to start being able to acknowledge objective evidence and face facts. There have been clear miscarriages of justice like the Bloody Sunday whitewash. Wallowing in self pity as a result is pointless.
    Did my first post in this thread give you the impression that I am 'so exercised' by the Clegg case? Really?

I know the Clegg story. You didn't answer my question about his early release before having lodged any appeals.

We are talking about BA killings in Ireland. Afghanistan BA crimes could not be so easily covered up in the internet age. Enough about Afghanistan in this thread.

Do you have any other instances of BA convictions for unlawful killing during the troubles?

I don't subscribe to any mythology, by the way. I can't see how you got that idea from my brief post.

Not your ornery onager

The courts and forensics found differently.

Given you make glaring mistakes on basic points of the case, I think I'll trust their judgement over yours.

The same forensics and courts that found the car was shot at from behind and the sides, or the same forensics and courts that found traces of explosives on the Birmingham six ?

Did my first post in this thread give you the impression that I am 'so exercised' by the Clegg case? Really?

I know the Clegg story. You didn't answer my question about his early release before having lodged any appeals.

If you know the story, then you know the story. Make your point or don't. It isn't a game of charades.
    We are talking about BA killings in Ireland. Afghanistan BA crimes could not be so easily covered up in the internet age. Enough about Afghanistan in this thread.

Do you have any other instances of BA convictions for unlawful killing during the troubles?

No, we're talking about a poster who claimed the British army never sent their own to jail. He was proven wrong on that point. And a lot of people just cant get over that. Now, you want to make the case that if we ignore all the cases where the British army sent their own to jail, that they didn't send their own to jail. Makes sense...

If the Provo worldview was realistic, they wouldn't have to try *so* hard.

@EunanMac
    The same forensics and courts that found the car was shot at from behind and the sides, or the same forensics and courts that found traces of explosives on the Birmingham six ?

The forensics that found the car was shot from the front and sides. The forensics the court accepted.

The Birmingham Six? Look - Nodin has clearly ruled this thread is about the British Army. If you keep introducing tangents in a desperate attempt to evade acknowledging your earlier claims were disproven, then you're going to derail the thread. And everyone will be unhappy. We've got to keep this focused on the British Army. And the MRF....well until the claims about the MRF were disproven. Still, British Army. Try to keep that in mind.

Now who is exercised? Still not answering my questions.

Deflection and avoidance, with a smidgin of rant.

Not your ornery onager

If you have a point, make it. If you are uninformed about the Clegg case, inform yourself. That you can't make a point and are uninformed about the case isn't a problem I have to solve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

No, we're talking about a poster who claimed the British army never sent their own to jail. He was proven wrong on that point. And a lot of people just cant get over that.

I wouldnt call your use of the Clegg case as proof that I was wrong, as the past few pages, have thought you, the Clegg single case is a very dubious case to bring up in trying to prove hundreds of civilians being shot and murdered is proof the BA convict their forces for every unlawful and unjustified killing.

It is highly disrespectful to the hundreds of families in The North who had their family siblings killed for being nothing more than an innocent victim behind the sights of a British soldier walking the streets of Ireland.

If you have a point, make it. If you are uninformed about the Clegg case, inform yourself. That you can't make a point and are uninformed about the case isn't a problem I have to solve.
    More of the same then. Questions too hard, maybe?

Gerry and yourself could have gone to the same course in Carr Communications.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

The forensics that found the car was shot from the front and sides. The forensics the court accepted.

The Birmingham Six? Look - Nodin has clearly ruled this thread is about the British Army. If you keep introducing tangents in a desperate attempt to evade acknowledging your earlier claims were disproven, then you're going to derail the thread. And everyone will be unhappy. We've got to keep this focused on the British Army. And the MRF....well until the claims about the MRF were disproven. Still, British Army. Try to keep that in mind.

The same forensics earlier, and the witness statements, had from the rear and sides.
    But we all know the history of how truthful and reliable British forensics, courts and tribunals have been regarding BA murders of civilians in NI, and they've been proven false more times than they've been proven true. So it's very relevant to the thread, but I can see why you'd be desperate to ensure their track record does not come up.

padma wrote: »
    I wouldnt call your use of the Clegg case as proof that I was wrong

It was though, and you were.

@Esel
    I thought you might have a point and were waiting for some moment to make it. The longer you go on, the more I think you don't have a point.

@EunanMac
    Clegg and the Birmingham Six. Two cases of men jailed on the basis of dodgy forensics, later cleared on appeal. Casting doubt on the quality of the forensics is *exactly* the basis on which Clegg won his appeal.

Its amusing and ironic you're smearing British forensics whilst so convinced of Cleggs guilt when it was (apparently) fault British forensics that convicted him the first place. If your point of view was justifiable by the evidence, you wouldn't have to twist and turn so hard to try to support it.

@Sand Mr. Adams, I see you are not willing to give a straight answer to the questions I have repeatedly put to you, and I am afraid we are out of time. However, I am confident that viewers will draw their own conclusions from your performance here tonight. In other news, dogs have been heard talking in the street. Film at eleven. If you have any comments on this or any other issue raised here tonight, you can tweet @idgaf. The programme which follows is a repeat.

Aaand..... cut! Can I take this thing out of my ear now? Get the sound engineer on a refresher course before I have to make a deafness claim. Yes, I can hear you! Did you not see me wincing? Yes, I kept repeating the question. It's not my fault that Gerry has obviously been trained by Terry! MK Ultra is in the halfpenny place. Is my taxi outside?

Not your ornery onager

@ Sand, I'm not you are

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If you know the story, then you know the story. Make your point or don't. It isn't a game of charades.

@Esel
    I thought you might have a point and were waiting for some moment to make it. The longer you go on, the more I think you don't have a point.

Mod:
    This is a discussion board on politics, people will ask questions from time to time as part of that, it would be helpful if you could try and answer them, if not, just say you don't want to rather than derailing the thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

@ Sand, I'm not you are

Sorry? You're not I am what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I was just going through the sutton index of deaths the UVF/UDA must have slaughtered about 50 innocent people in May 1974 alone which is a staggering statistic starting with the Rose & Crown bar bombing which killed 6.

Advertisement