Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing your cost of living

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jank wrote: »
    I see some of my co-workers hoping with the stuff. 4-5 cups a day at least. If you can’t do without something for a week.
    I drink 4-6 glasses of water a day, more if I'm training. I definitely couldn't go a week without any.
    I know it can be fatal, twice as much and I could die.

Maybe I should cut down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Mellor wrote: »
    I drink 4-6 glasses of water a day, more if I'm training. I definitely couldn't go a week without any.
    I know it can be fatal, twice as much and I could die.

Maybe I should cut down.

Perhaps you should quote me in full rather than selectively?
    If you can’t do without something for a week without having serious withdrawal symptoms then I may suggest cutting down the intake of said food or substance

Could you provide evidence?

Well the penetration of a cafe culture over the past generation is there for all to see and its not an Australian thing, its a world wide phenomenon.

http://www.hospitalityandcateringnews.com/2013/01/uk-coffee-market-grows-and-to-grow-strongly/

img063.jpg

That of course is not even taking into account the penetration of energy drinks and caffeine loaded supplements that are on offer, which has raised the concerns of American Academy of Pediatrics

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/06/136921303/think-twice-before-reaching-for-a-caffeine-boost

24drink-graphic-articleInline.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/business/safety-becomes-a-concern-with-energy-drinks.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1399377706-bKyTimOAmrey425kX9pwVw

Canada have put a legal cap on the limit of caffeine in these energy drinks and other countries are either considering the same or using excise duties and tax to discourage usages especially by teenagers. The Canadian government are adamant therefore that too much caffeine is bad for you. I would be in agreement with that.

For more pointed affects of coffee and caffeine?
    Negative effects[edit]
    Caffeine can increase blood pressure in non-habitual consumers.[16] High blood pressure is associated with an increase in strokes, and cerebral vascular disease, which in turn increase the risk of multi-infarct dementia.[16]
    Caffeine may reduce control of fine motor movements (e.g. producing shaky hands)[7]
    Caffeine can increase cortisol secretion, some tolerance is developed.[17]
    Caffeine can contribute to increased insomnia and sleep latency.[7]
    Caffeine is addictive.[7] Caffeine withdrawal can produce headache, fatigue and decreased alertness.
    High doses of caffeine (300 mg or higher) can cause anxiety.[7]
    High caffeine consumption has been linked to an increase in the likelihood of experiencing auditory hallucinations.[18]
    High caffeine consumption accelerates bone loss at the spine in elderly postmenopausal women.[19]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_caffeine#Negative_effects

There is also a link detailing positive affects, you are free to post that if you feed the need.

So going back to my original post I admitted that in moderation it could have positive health benefits (this point was ignored by the coffee lovers) however, society is ingesting more of it year on year and in my opinion and in the opinion of governments, independent medical bodies and me, I think its a worrying trend that will in future raise now unknown health side effects.

Now you now free to try and convince us that having gigantic amounts of caffeine is good for you and your pocket.

tomaussie wrote: »
    I think the thread is about giving people a heads up on how to save money by alerting them to bargains or cunning ways to avoid paying full price rather than stop doing something they may enjoy.

By your rationale I hereby advise you to only eat boiled rice daily, sell your car, don't go to the cinema, never eat out again, cut your gas and electricity off, never get your hair cut again and so forth.

I don't think you are full of **** but if I go a week without getting laid then I get withdrawal symptoms. Please don't tell me you want to stop this too ?

I don't really drink that much coffee but as of tomorrow I will now drink 2-3 cups a day. Tell me what to do will you ?

Why are you being an Irish stereotype?

Do you know how much people waste on coffee per week, per month and per year. Say one buys two cups a day for the working week.
    Taking the price of a cup in Perth that Catbear mentioned that is $7 a day
    7x5=$35 per week
    35x46 weeks=$1610

You can drink all the coffee you want as I am a Libertarian but I will call you out for spending over $1500 a year on coffee and if you are addicted (caffeine is addictive which contains nasty withdrawal symptoms) to it then I don't think its good for your health either.

So your spending $7-$10 tomorrow to prove a random guy on the Internet wrong and you think your winning this argument? :pac:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/you-secret-caffeine-addict-health-3166771

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I don't mind a heart starter in the morning before work, but definitely not an coffee addict.

On a side note I have cut out all alcohol over the last 6 months and lost 10 kilos, wasn't a big drinker but I travel a lot and always had a few drinks when away from home. Sparkling water man now and feeling a lot better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hard to deport an Aussie but Im serious, why do people have to drink multiple cups of coffee per day

1)Its bad for you
    2)Costs a fortune

Just drink water or make your own tea in the office.

This was your initial point.
    Well the penetration of a cafe culture over the past generation is there for all to see and its not an Australian thing, its a world wide phenomenon.

http://www.hospitalityandcateringnews.com/2013/01/uk-coffee-market-grows-and-to-grow-strongly/

img063.jpg

That of course is not even taking into account the penetration of energy drinks and caffeine loaded supplements that are on offer, which has raised the concerns of American Academy of Pediatrics

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/06/136921303/think-twice-before-reaching-for-a-caffeine-boost

24drink-graphic-articleInline.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/business/safety-becomes-a-concern-with-energy-drinks.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1399377706-bKyTimOAmrey425kX9pwVw

Canada have put a legal cap on the limit of caffeine in these energy drinks and other countries are either considering the same or using excise duties and tax to discourage usages especially by teenagers. The Canadian government are adamant therefore that too much caffeine is bad for you. I would be in agreement with that.

For more pointed affects of coffee and caffeine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_caffeine#Negative_effects

There is also a link detailing positive affects, you are free to post that if you feed the need.

So going back to my original post I admitted that in moderation it could have positive health benefits (this point was ignored by the coffee lovers) however, society is ingesting more of it year on year and in my opinion and in the opinion of governments, independent medical bodies and me, I think its a worrying trend that will in future raise now unknown health side effects.

Now you now free to try and convince us that having gigantic amounts of caffeine is good for you and your pocket.

So let me get this straight, you start off telling everyone coffee is unhealthy.

The evidence you use to prove this is:

a) A Graph showing the growth of the Coffee SHOP market.

b) A Graph showing the increase in energy drink consumption.

c) A Wikipedia article.

None of the above prove coffee's supposed unhealthiness.

Nevermind the fact that you advise people to drink tea, which of course, has caffeine also (which you are do steadfastly sure is unhealthy). It might only have half the caffeine as coffee but sure... you contend caffeine is "poison".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Why are you being an Irish stereotype?

Do you know how much people waste on coffee per week, per month and per year. Say one buys two cups a day for the working week.
    Taking the price of a cup in Perth that Catbear mentioned that is $7 a day
    7x5=$35 per week
    35x46 weeks=$1610

You can drink all the coffee you want as I am a Libertarian but I will call you out for spending over $1500 a year on coffee and if you are addicted (caffeine is addictive which contains nasty withdrawal symptoms) to it then I don't think its good for your health either.

So your spending $7-$10 tomorrow to prove a random guy on the Internet wrong and you think your winning this argument? :pac:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/you-secret-caffeine-addict-health-3166771

What stereotype is that ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Coffee - start a new thread if you wish to debate this point - I suggest the Australia forum is not the place. Otherwise, back on topic please!

This was your initial point.

You forgot to say that I said 'Multiple cups' are bad for you.
    a) A Graph showing the growth of the Coffee SHOP market.

Which means and shows more people than ever are drinking more coffee and caffeine (and wasting their money)
    b) A Graph showing the increase in energy drink consumption.

Again more caffeine ingested into the general population, there is a trend here you know.
    c) A Wikipedia article.

Which is referenced and backed up by scientific peer reviewed research via the following studies.

Smith, A (2002). "Effects of caffeine on human behavior". Food and Chemical Toxicology 40 (9): 1243–55. doi:10.1016/S0278-6915(02)00096-0. PMID 12204388.

Crowe, SF, Barot, J, Caldow, S, d’Aspromonte, J, Dell’Orso, J, Di Clemente, A, Hanson, K, Kellett, M et al. (2011). "The effect of caffeine and stress on auditory hallucinations in a non-clinical sample". Personality and Individual Differences 50 (5): 626–30. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2010.12.007.

Cornelis, MC, El-Sohemy, A (2007). "Coffee, caffeine, and coronary heart disease". Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care 10 (6): 745–51. doi:10.1097/MCO.0b013e3282f05d81. PMID 18089957.

Rapuri, PB, Gallagher, JC, Kinyamu, HK, Ryschon, KL (2001). "Caffeine intake increases the rate of bone loss in elderly women and interacts with vitamin D receptor genotypes". The American journal of clinical nutrition 74 (5): 694–700. PMID 11684540.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_caffeine#References

So, do you take issue with the above research or just the way its presented to you? Want me to draw you a map and serve it with toast and OJ?
    None of the above prove coffee's supposed unhealthiness.

So why do medical studies indicate the above findings, why does Canada curb the quantity of caffeine in Energy drinks and why do doctors warn us not to give caffeine fuelled products to kids and teenagers? Why do doctors tell us cut down on coffee intake if we drink the stuff like its going out of fashion?
    Nevermind the fact that you advise people to drink tea, which of course, has caffeine also (which you are do steadfastly sure is unhealthy). It might only have half the caffeine as coffee but sure... you contend caffeine is "poison".

More like 25% or less if you are talking about herbal teas like Green tea.

And of course here is me providing evidence of my statements while you yourself have not provided on to back up your own assertion that coffee is not harmful to
    Coffee isnt bad for you. You crazy man.

So, save to consume 49 cups a day so? :roll eyes:

Edit: MODs can move to new thread?

tomaussie wrote: »
    What stereotype is that ?

Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Edit: MODs can move to new thread?

Not our job, but you're welcome to start another thread in the relevant forum - I'd suggest Coffee & Tea.

No more health debates in this thread please - second request, there won't be a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Could you provide evidence?

I've read up to 6 cups a day has no effect on raising any causes of death.

I wrote that but I was only messing. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

Joe Gt wrote: »
    the Entertainment book is the best thing to buy , can pick them up sometimes for as little as $20 ! great value in it !

Where can these be picked up for around $20 in Sydney...haven't come across them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Wizzy2011 wrote: »
    Where can these be picked up for around $20 in Sydney...haven't come across them yet

absolute brilliant buy, we got it for 75 but saved double that in 6 date nights , 30 or 40 % off the bill in resturaunts inc wine......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Look out for charities advertising them, I bought my last one from an animal shelter.

http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/about/how-to-buy-an-entertainment-membership

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote: »
    A bit more than $20 there

yep maybe the $20 ones were out of date.

Advertisement