Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK ISPs told to block 21 pirate sites. Do you download illegally?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

This announcement has made me more determined to pirate more stuff even though I'm already at the point where I don't get to around to using most of the stuff I download.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    It's better than one direction and all that shíte!

Na! you badly need some Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada and Chelsea Wolfe in your life... and that's just the first Three letters of the musical alphabet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

nocoverart wrote: »
    I illegally stream TV/Movies from time to time but never illegally download per say.

Both are one and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Both are one and the same.

Not really. illegally streaming something is effectively like renting, whilst downloading illegally is like owning that product. Both wrong but entirely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Downloading stuff illegally is wrong... I firmly believe that... but I don't care that it's wrong, so I do it anyway... 'cause I like getting stuff for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Mostly for things I can't get, like OOP things or those hard-to-find movies, especially foreign ones. If I dig it, I'll buy it in the hope it's an incentive for more of the same thing to the suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not bothered if musicians can't afford to make music anymore. There's enough existing music around already plus most bands just increasingly annoy the tits off you as get older.

I've stopped pirating music since downloading Spotify. Don't mind the odd advert or two every few songs, because for the most part they're unobtrusive.

I do download movies and TV shows, but most of the time networks and distribution companies have themselves to blame. The fact that the UK market has to wait between a week to a few months for a movie or TV show to release over here is absolutely idiotic in the digital age. There should be universal release dates for everything, with adverts based on your location - give me the option of wanting to watch a new release on my laptop or in the cinema. Give me the chance to watch TV shows legally and not have to wait months sometimes before they air on Sky and years for them to air on RTÉ.

They need to work with people that torrent and listen to them, instead of just trying to shut down the sites, because there will always be another torrent site - whether it be that same one on a different domain name, or a different one altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Mr.S wrote: »
    Streaming is downloading. You just dont see the file on your desktop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Download
    The term downloading is distinguished from the related concept of streaming, which indicates the receiving of data that is used near immediately as it is received, while the transmission is still in progress and which may not be stored long-term, whereas in a process described using the term downloading, this would imply that the data is only usable when it has been received in its entirety. Increasingly, websites that offer streaming media or media displayed in-browser, such as YouTube, and which place restrictions on the ability of users to save these materials to their computers after they have been received, say that downloading is not permitted. In this context, download implies specifically "receive and save" instead of simply "receive". However, it is also important to note that downloading is not the same as "transferring" (i.e., sending/receiving data between two storage devices would be a transferral of data, but receiving data from the Internet would be considered a download).

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I only download films that are ripped from dvd. At that stage the money has already been made. So what of it.

TV Shows... well if they we're aired here the same time as over there then thats that problem solved.

Music... guilty. But I do tend to buy the album if I download something that I really like.
    Music collections dont look as good on a external hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could you be arsed downloading when streaming services are so good, why somebody needs terabytes of movies and music stored locally is beyond me, you don't need to download the internet ffs.
    If everybody copped the f on we wouldn't have half as much congestion on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Used to torrent all my music but lately I've bought it all on iTunes. When your paying less than a tenner an album it's hard to justify not paying that when you consider that work and whatnot that goes into creating a body of work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Could you be arsed downloading when streaming services are so good, why somebody needs terabytes of movies and music stored locally is beyond me, you don't need to download the internet ffs.
    If everybody copped the f on we wouldn't have half as much congestion on the net.

My guilty pleasure is ebooks. I've 60k at last count, most of which I've no interest in reading and a sizeable chunk of which can't even be read on my Kindle. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

60k is a heck of a lot of reading!

I waited patiently for Netflix to put up seasons 5 and 6 of Sons of Anarchy and they didn't so I've just watched them the only way I could and streamed it. Couldn't be bothered downloading series of shows though.

I do download concerts as they are a nice thing to have but that's as far my laziness lets me go.

Youtube has pretty much every song and album ever made on it. Will continue to use that as long as it stays the way it is. If I feel the government is gonna seriously crack down on downloading and streaming and things get a bit hairy I think that will give me the kick up the hole to download the whole internet. Still think we're a fair few years away from that still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

My guilty pleasure is ebooks. I've 60k at last count, most of which I've no interest in reading and a sizeable chunk of which can't even be read on my Kindle. :o
    I'm bad for that too. I've download enough maths books to keep me going until the next millennium. Strangely the moment I become interested in one I buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Torrents? That's old school!

Usenet ftw! :D

kingtut wrote: »

Isn't Usenet as old school, if not more so?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kingtut wrote: »

Usenet pre-dates peer to peer networking and torrents by a good few years actually. It's just that it's become 'fashionable' again now that torrenting sites have been targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

It's way older than torrenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I download pretty much everything....it's at the stage now where when I go to Tesco with my son he won't ask me to buy him a dvd but to download it when we get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I download illegally too, but Netflix has cut down on that quite a bit. If BBC iPlayer was available over here that would cut down further on my illegal downloading.

I have iPlayer & Hulu here.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

BBS for the win... Maybe not but the word proxy should be in everyones vocabulary.

Ye sorry you are right oops, guess I just mean it's not as 'exposed' as torrents, in so far as I don't see it going anywhere soon.

I'm pretty new to it myself but so far I prefer it much more than torrents although with the amount of websites for torrents they will never eradicate them completely!

Alun wrote: »
    Usenet pre-dates peer to peer networking and torrents by a good few years actually. It's just that it's become 'fashionable' again now that torrenting sites have been targeted.

I wouldn't consider it fashionable but what I do like is that I can use usenet along with other programmes to automate the downloads of my favourite shows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cool ... I never heard of any of these sites .. now I shall have a look ..cheers UK News and Government :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I sometimes download illegally.

Mostly TV shows that aren't screening in Ireland.

Sometimes movies.

Used to download music illegally. I don't any more.

When you can download beer illegally I'll be all over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I download TV shows. I prefer being able to watch in my own time without ads. I buy DVD box sets of things that I want to own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I download TV shows and occasionally movies. I pay for Netflix, and if anything else came along where I had the option to legally pay for what I want to watch (and didn't just have the same stuff Netflix has) I'd be happy to do so, for instance I watched the new episodes of Breaking Bad on Netflix as they were airing.

I really hope that companies will stop trying to stop us downloading and instead give us a reasonably cheap way of doing it for free or streaming. I'd prefer to be legal, this morning I downloaded the newest episode of Castle, if I could legally watch it somewhere I would but the option doesn't exist for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I like to pirate and redistribute this song off this video for the lulz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Advertisement