Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving unaccompanied on a learner permit

Options
  • 18-11-2013 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I have recently received an adult caution for d&d. I was just wondering does anyone know what would happen if I was now pulled over for driving unaccompanied on a learner permit? Would I receive more than a warning and would it show up on my record? I'm training to be a teacher and hope it wouldn't effect my career

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Driving unaccompanied on a leaner permit is breaking the law. I don't think that boards allows people to ask for advise on how to do it, or to help you decide whether or not it is worth doing, because the consequences of your getting caught could affect your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Driving unaccompanied on a leaner permit is breaking the law. I don't think that boards allows people to ask for advise on how to do it, or to help you decide whether or not it is worth doing, because the consequences of your getting caught could affect your career.

Get over yourself.. Stop making a fuss!

All the person is asking is what will happen this next time.. I'm not 100% sure but I think you were lucky to get a warning this time, as far as I know its one point on your licence.
    I doubt points on a driving licence would matter in Garda vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I doubt if the OP would be asking the question, if this wasn't something that they were thinking of doing. Their unaccompanied driving could very well be to the school that they work at, where small children will be running around. So you'll excuse me for not taking the 'be grand sure' approach with the OP, or assisting them with making a decision on the matter. Feel free to tell the parent of a child that they may hit with their car, to stop making a fuss and to get over themselves.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0415/ireland/l-plate-drivers-thousands-fined-for-going-solo-228374.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ldrivers-to-get-penalty-points-for-driving-alone-26892402.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Drivers convicted of driving unaccompanied or failing to display L-plates on their vehicle face fines of up to €2,000 and/or three months’ imprisonment. A caution for Drunk & Disorderly probably won't help when the beak is peering at you over his bifocals. If you're that bothered about your career, straighten up and fly right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

jimgoose wrote: »
    Drivers convicted of driving unaccompanied or failing to display L-plates on their vehicle face fines of up to €2,000 and/or three months’ imprisonment. A caution for Drunk & Disorderly probably won't help when the beak is peering at you over his bifocals. If you're that bothered about your career, straighten up and fly right.

Exactly! And who knows with a little work he could become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 alphawhizz13

ok. thanks for your comments. :) I actually have been driving unaccompanied for the last few weeks as I had no other way of getting to the school for teaching practice. I also will have to drive to college, obviously alone. I do understand that it is against the law but I have no other way of getting there. All I can do now is hope I dont get caught and get my driving test done and hopefully passed asap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

ok. thanks for your comments. :) I actually have been driving unaccompanied for the last few weeks as I had no other way of getting to the school for teaching practice. I also will have to drive to college, obviously alone. I do understand that it is against the law but I have no other way of getting there. All I can do now is hope I dont get caught and get my driving test done and hopefully passed asap!!

Where is the school that there is no bus etc. can someone at the school give you a lift. Can a friend / relative? Can you cycle? Taxi?

the school is on the outside of the town, and if i was to get the bus, id have to walk for over 40 minutes, which is not convenient considering the amount of resources, books, etc. which needs to be carried in daily. I have my own car so paying for a taxi, or bothering a relative every day is not really something id want to do. The car's there to be used, and it's not like i'm using it for my own pleasure. I only use it when i need to use it!!!

jimgoose wrote: »

Also, jimgoose, I hardly doubt 3 months' imprisonment is a possibility for something as minor as driving unaccompanied. a bit far-fetched i believe!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

I have recently received an adult caution for d&d.

Do you mean drinking and driving?

• Advertisement

I doubt if the OP would be asking the question, if this wasn't something that they were thinking of doing. Their unaccompanied driving could very well be to the school that they work at, where small children will be running around. So you'll excuse me for not taking the 'be grand sure' approach with the OP, or assisting them with making a decision on the matter. Feel free to tell the parent of a child that they may hit with their car, to stop making a fuss and to get over themselves.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0415/ireland/l-plate-drivers-thousands-fined-for-going-solo-228374.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ldrivers-to-get-penalty-points-for-driving-alone-26892402.html

When you show me statistics over how many learner drivers kill people compared to fully qualified know it alls, then we'll talk

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Ah would you come off it. We're allowed to discuss things on boards. Leave deciding whats allowed and whats not to the mods.

Do you mean drinking and driving?

no, drunk and disorderly!! i was out an a night out and was unfortunate enough to have the guards called on me. iv been caught twice for the same thing, but managed to escape with just a caution!! id never drink and drive though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

the school is on the outside of the town, and if i was to get the bus, id have to walk for over 40 minutes, which is not convenient considering the amount of resources, books, etc. which needs to be carried in daily. I have my own car so paying for a taxi, or bothering a relative every day is not really something id want to do. The car's there to be used, and it's not like i'm using it for my own pleasure. I only use it when i need to use it!!!

I hope you're test comes soon for your sake. Ring them and tell them you need it for work and sometimes they can speed it up. I wouldn't expect you to pay for a taxi to be honest but I'm trying to show that there are alternatives if you try even if it does put you out a bit or make you come in earlier etc.

The car is easy but you are in danger any time you drive alone. The probability is low but a car could hit you or someone could step out in front of you even if you a perfect driver and then you're in real trouble. Hopefully not.

I presume it's your parents car, not yours or at least that they are paying the tax and insurance. It's there to be used legally I guess but I think you've made up your mind anyway so be safe and get that test soon.

ye i know and i appreciate the suggestions. It's just that having the car is so handy for work/ college purposes. I actually do own the car myself, and am paying for everything. I do understand that insurance wont cover me if I'm in an accident, but tbh im willing to take that chance. I'm a careful driver and am confident that i will pass my test when the time comes. all i can do now is hope that i wont get into any trouble beforehand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

ye i know and i appreciate the suggestions. It's just that having the car is so handy for work/ college purposes. I actually do own the car myself, and am paying for everything. I do understand that insurance wont cover me if I'm in an accident, but tbh im willing to take that chance. I'm a careful driver and am confident that i will pass my test when the time comes. all i can do now is hope that i wont get into any trouble beforehand!!

Apparently you can't keep learners off the roads. Even when they're potentially uninsured some don't give a fcuk.

If you were to write off a brand new Merc or BMW and your insurance was to pursue you for the cost of the 3rd party's claim running into tens of thousands..what would you do?

As I said on a similar thread a few weeks ago; the penalty for this should be the loss of the car(even if it belongs to a parent) and the removal of your LP for two years. ATM the fines are a couple of hundred..fcking joke. Penalty for driving with no licence is a ban, a LP is not a licence so the penalties should match.

I suppose the OP has form for being a public nuisance so we can't be too suprised;
    no, drunk and disorderly!! i was out an a night out and was unfortunate enough to have the guards called on me. iv been caught twice for the same thing, but managed to escape with just a caution!! id never drink and drive though!!

Expect a thread in a while 'I was caught drink driving on a learner permit..help'

Blay wrote: »
    a LP is not a licence so the penalties should match '

Do you drive? Every driver was a learner once and there's an exam for a lp.. It's a joke to compare a lp to not having a licence at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Do you drive? Every driver was a learner once and there's an exam for a lp.. It's a joke to compare a lp to not having a licence at all

Of course, it would be a bit stupid for me to be sermonising about the laws if I didn't. Just to say I also learned under the current laws incase you accuse me of being a hypocrite.

Bit of an exteme example but both are driving without a licence. You could know all the theory in the world and still be incable behind the wheel. A LP is not a licence, it entitles you to learn and the law states you must be accompanied while doing that learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How is that relevant? Of course everyone was a learner once. And when people are learning, they don;t go out without supervision.

I think its a joke that you're suggesting the exam to get an LP in any way prepares you to drive alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you know it all and dont want to listen to what people have to say then why post on a public forum that you are breaking the law. It's not all that smart you are not anonymous even if you think you are.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Possible thread in future, caught drink driving.
    This will be the likely excuse.

"Well I was out with the lads and there were no taxis and the car was just sitting there to be driven."

Caught d&d once could be unfortunate, twice and looking at a teaching career!!.,

like i said, i will NOT drink and drive. im not that stupid, no matter what the circumstances are. i live out in the middle of nowhere which is why i dont really have a choice when it comes to driving. and yes, i know that driving without a full licence isnt the right decision, but at the end of the day, a huge number of learners do it!! all i was asking was what might happen if im unlucky enough to be caught and would it be serious enough to effect my career? i didnt ask you to judge my decision!! no one is perfect!!!

juice1304 wrote: »
    If you know it all and dont want to listen to what people have to say then why post on a public forum that you are breaking the law. It's not all that smart you are not anonymous even if you think you are.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i never said i knew it all, and appreciate everyone's advice. if you all think it's such a bad idea then i will reconsider driving on my own. despite the convenience of it, i know it's wrong, and may have to come up with another way of commuting to college. however, im not going to dispute the fact that i have heard from numerous people that you dont start learning how to drive competently until you are out on your own without someone sitting beside you telling you to do this and that. i have come on a long way since i started driving on my own. however, i do understand that i may have to put a stop to it now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

dispute the fact that i have heard from numerous people that you dont start learning how to drive competently

Driving while incompetent is exactly the problem.

Driving while incompetent is exactly the problem.

what i am saying is that in order to gain confidence driving you need to get out of your comfort zone of having someone sitting next to you and telling you what to do. i feel that i am a very competent driver. i have had my 12 lessons completed for quite some time now. believe it or not, some learners are in fact better than drivers who have had their full licence for years. just because you dont have a full licence yet, this does NOT make you a bad driver, and a danger to other road users!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Convenience has absolutely nothing to do with it. You are breaking the law. Plain and simple.
    learning to drive competently on your own is perfectly acceptable , Once you have passed your test and are legally entitled and insured to do so.
    And you will do yourself far more harm if you are in an accident, even if it's not your fault. insurance companies wont want to touch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Learner drivers do not have the experience to assess their own driving ability, which is why society requires them to do a test.

And it is not self righteous to want to drive responsibly and for others to do likewise. It is simply the reasonable response of a mature member of society.

So, you drive unaccompanied on a learner permit. You have been caught twice drunk and disorderly. And you want to teach? WOW. A great role model so.

So, you drive unaccompanied on a learner permit. You have been caught twice drunk and disorderly. And you want to teach? WOW. A great role model so.
    like i said already, i did not post on this so you could judge me. i doubt you're perfect and have never done anything wrong before!!! fyi, i know i will make a great teacher and have done exceptionally well in my teaching practice to date. my social life is completely separate from my professional life!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

That was out of line and I'd say even you know that. I'd wager you're not nearly this judgemental in real life and if you are you must have very few friends.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement