Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Enjoying the rerun of tinker tailor soldier spy more enjoyable then the movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep ended tonight, when George Smiley grabbed the door handle in the cell he did so like it was Bills throat! Its great to see drama where you can have two or three people in a room just talking for several minutes with no music blaring away telling you what to think/feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

mike65 wrote: »
    Yep ended tonight, when George Smiley grabbed the door handle in the cell he did so like it was Bills throat! Its great to see drama where you can have two or three people in a room just talking for several minutes with no music blaring away telling you what to think/feel.

Hopfullt they,ll rerun smileys people in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Sometimes i'll flick by it and go "really? a documentary about that?"

then it's two hours later and i've watched a documentary about motorways.

Great channel esp for music stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Sometimes i'll flick by it and go "really? a documentary about that?"

then it's two hours later and i've watched a documentary about motorways.

Great channel esp for music stuff.

True.

The Road was one of my faves - but then the Storyville slot is never less than interesting.

• Advertisement

Everyone favourite topic this er weather

Wednesday 9.30 - 10.30
    Hurricanes and Heatwaves: The Highs and Lows of British Weather
    Documentary focusing on the evolution of the weather forecast, from print via radio to TV and beyond, featuring an insight into how the Met Office and the BBC have always used the latest technology to bring the holy grail of accurate forecasting that much closer. Yet, as hand-drawn maps have been replaced by weather apps, the bigger drama of global warming has been playing itself out, as if to prove that people were right all along to obsess about the weather

With Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads over (great series that), BBC4 re shows a series that hasn't been on terrestrial screens for many years - Ever Decreasing Cricles, Richard Briers is the suburban everyman who locks horns with new neighbour Peter Egan, Penelope Wilton is his stoical wife.

Thursdays at 8 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

With Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads over (great series that), BBC4 re shows a series that hasn't been on terrestrial screens for many years - Ever Decreasing Cricles, Richard Briers is the suburban everyman who locks horns with new neighbour Peter Egan, Penelope Wilton is his stoical wife.

Thursdays at 8 pm.

One of the most underrated Sitcoms ever, I think. Good to see it back on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Looks like an interesting film documentary on Monday Jan 20th (9pm & 1.50am), it has good reviews.

Project Nim
    Documentary about a chimpanzee who formed the focus of an unusual experiment in the 1970s. The ape was raised as a child by a family in an attempt to disprove the accepted wisdom that only humans are capable of using language. But the study was placed in jeopardy as the animal became stronger and more aggressive when it grew to adulthood

Skid X wrote: »
    Looks like an interesting film documentary on Monday Jan 20th (9pm & 1.50am), it has good reviews.

Project Nim

It's good - they showed it last year, or the year before, too.

It's followed with a new Storyville film though: Big Brother Watching Me: Citizen Ai Weiwei

• Advertisement

John Boorman on BBC4 -

9 pm Point Blank, lee MArvin stars in this "elliptical" thriller followed by
    10.30 pm Me and Me Dad: A Portrait of John Boorman

A profile of the film-maker - who directed titles including Hell in the Pacific, Excalibur and Deliverance - produced by his daughter Katrine over a four-year period. The film provides an insight into Boorman's adventures in Hollywood, as well as his childhood and marriages, and why film is the only thing he ever truly loved

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

John Boorman on BBC4 -

9 pm Point Blank, lee MArvin stars in this "elliptical" thriller followed by
    10.30 pm Me and Me Dad: A Portrait of John Boorman

A profile of the film-maker - who directed titles including Hell in the Pacific, Excalibur and Deliverance - produced by his daughter Katrine over a four-year period. The film provides an insight into Boorman's adventures in Hollywood, as well as his childhood and marriages, and why film is the only thing he ever truly loved

The only bad thing about John Boorman is that he gave the world Charley Bore-man.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

The RTE drama "Amber" has been picked up by BBC4 for transmission later this year.

Did anyone just catch this?

An audio-visual poem to the power of steel and the people who make it.

Storyville: The Big Melt - How Steel Made Us Hard
    Documentary featuring footage from the BFI National Archive, telling the story of Sheffield and its steelworks, including what it was like in the furnaces and how the industry has helped shape national heritage. The clips are set to music recorded at the city's Crucible Theatre on the opening night of Doc/Fest in June 2013, featuring Jarvis Cocker and members of Pulp, the City of Sheffield Brass Band and Richard Hawley,

Sadly no repeat in the immediate future as far as I can see.

The Bridge ends this weekend and a new import takes over the slot - its Belgian!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/salamander.html

Trailer here

http://vimeo.com/51049098

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The only bad thing about John Boorman is that he gave the world Charley Bore-man.

The Guardian review of Charley Boorman: Sydney to Tokyo by Any Means made me chuckle.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2009/oct/19/charley-boorman-bear-grylls-ferrell
    You know, he's that grinning idiot with the teeth and the bulging eyes, who used to be Ewan McGregor's sidekick and then somehow got his own gig. Having a famous mate, and a famous dad (John, the film director), that seems to have been what got him the job. Unless it's for his insightful observations on the road . . .

– Charley on riding a motorbike through Sulawesi: "Here I am on a motorbike, and it's beautiful, beautiful countryside, just stunning."

– Charley on boatbuilding: "Beautiful, I like it, that's amazing."

– Charley on a Toyota Land Cruiser: "Beautiful, just beautiful."

– Charley on riding a motorbike through Sulawesi, part 2: "It's beautiful, just riding along the coastline, up and down the mountains, and all sorts of different places. It's – very, very, very beautiful here."

– Charley on the view: "Look at that, incredible, it's just so beautiful here."

– Charley on the weather: "The weather's just so beautiful here."

– Charley on riding a motorbike through Sulawesi, part 3: "We'll just ride and ride and ride, and it's going to be beautiful."

They may as well have sent Bernard Matthews. I'm glad you're having a lovely holiday Charley, and I admire your enthusiasm, but I don't really understand why this is on television. You need to tell me interesting stuff, entertain me, or amuse me. Or do something extraordinary. And I'm not sure this is extraordinary – your team of fixers calling ahead to arrange for you to borrow beautiful Harley-Davidsons and Toyota Land Cruisers. Or, when that doesn't happen, taking the bus or a plane like everyone else. It's all so very uninteresting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Bridge ends this weekend and a new import takes over the slot - its Belgian!

Trailer here

Trailer was a bit naff, the really obvious bullet point graphics and the music particularly, but I'll give it a go, two different languages to listen to again whilst reading the subtitles. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Trailer here

Great! I'm looking forward to a foreign language program where I'll be able to understand what they're saying. I wish the subtitles were optional instead of hard coded though, they're pretty off-putting when you're trying to listen to what they're saying.

Also coming soon "the Life of Rock" a major new documentary series by Simon Day Brian Pern (and Nigel Havers, Vic Reeves, David Arnold, Peter Gabriel, Paul Whitehouse, Bob Mortimer)

Alun wrote: »
    Great! I'm looking forward to a foreign language program where I'll be able to understand what they're saying. I wish the subtitles were optional instead of hard coded though, they're pretty off-putting when you're trying to listen to what they're saying.

You are probably a fairly tiny minority though, a nice big bit of black card along the bottom of your TV should get rid of the subtitles nicely! Incidentally, Is Dutch an easy language to learn? Is the Belgian variation the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You are probably a fairly tiny minority though, a nice big bit of black card along the bottom of your TV should get rid of the subtitles nicely! Incidentally, Is Dutch an easy language to learn? Is the Belgian variation the same.
    Yes, I guess I am :) I spent 13 years in the Netherlands, so can speak it pretty well. I already had pretty good German before moving there, so I didn't find it too difficult to be honest.

Officially the spoken language in the Flemish part of Belgium is ordinary Dutch, although what they speak in reality could best be described as a local dialect, and with a definite unmistakeable accent. There are a few words / phrases unique to Belgian Dutch though, mainly ones that are in effect French words that have been "Dutchified".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Storyville casts its eye on the mad world of Muammar Gadaffi this evening @ 10pm.
    “He was graceful”; “Charismatic”; “He smelt very nice” – some unexpected compliments paid to Gaddafi by those who fell under his spell, in what is otherwise an appalling account of one man’s descent into sadism and megalomania.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03tj0n0

Nation Builders the story of British architecture

Featuring two hours of Jonathan Meades who will be worth the price of admission on his own.

Nation Builders the story of British architecture

Featuring two hours of Jonathan Meades who will be worth the price of admission on his own.

Excellent. TV needs more Meades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Tonight ladies and gentlemen, none other than The Pink Floyd are your entertainment from 22.25

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j0yyv

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I love the way that Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters are still at each others' throats :D

I though Salamander was pretty decent, given everything that was revealed by the Marc Detroux scandal you could easily imagine this sort of vast conspiracy (whatever hell the conspiracy actually is!)

I though Salamander was pretty decent, given everything that was revealed by the Marc Detroux scandal you could easily imagine this sort of vast conspiracy (whatever hell the conspiracy actually is!)

Missed it, so will have to catch up on iplayer. Been spoilt with the Bridge though so it has lot to live up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Missed it, so will have to catch up on iplayer. Been spoilt with the Bridge though so it has lot to live up to.

I will miss The Bridge, Saga & Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi

I missed the first 2 episodes as well but where is it possible to watch them as they are not repeated???

ote="Dozen Wicked Words;88908199"]Missed it, so will have to catch up on iplayer. Been spoilt with the Bridge though so it has lot to live up to.[/quote]

Advertisement