Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oil heating just stopped working.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

shane0007 wrote: »
    When you depress the red button, does the burner motor start?

lots of confusion and contradiction from op, need to read in a bit of engineers impression.

you can pick it up on the way to Longford. no thanks required, xmas box will do. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

im starting to think the plumbers twin brother the electrician must have wired the boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Richard88

2nljyo.jpg

This is the pic with the pump power lead connected to the original socket.
    The heating dosnt work when it's like this.

2hr3m79.jpg

This pic is where the power cable is connected to an extension lead and into a different socket in the house. The heating does work when it's like this.

The pix are sideways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

lots of confusion and contradiction from op, need to read in a bit of engineers impression.

you can pick it up on the way to Longford. no thanks required, xmas box will do. ;)

I'm lost! I thought boiler is going to lock out after 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

who is giving the finger in the 2nd photo? :eek:

and why did the plumber leave his lunch box behind?

• Advertisement

Ya lads. Sorry about that. It's just I was trying to get pictures sorted and was been given further information on it as the minutes passed.

I don't really have a clue myself, never mind me trying to explain it to others.

At the moment we're convinced it's a problem with the wiring / the lead between the timer switch and the boiler or the socket under the timer switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

It would be interesting to wire you old pump to a socket and see if it works..,my bet your old pump is perfect!,could you post a picture of your time clock and socket.is the fuse gone in the original plug as i had said in my first post

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Richard88 wrote: »
    2nljyo.jpg

This is the pic with the pump power lead connected to the original socket.
    The heating dosnt work when it's like this.

2hr3m79.jpg

This pic is where the power cable is connected to an extension lead and into a different socket in the house. The heating does work when it's like this.

The pix are sideways

Whatever sort of setup that you have it seems that when you are calling for heat, the power is not going to the pump. It is a simple problem to solve if somebody was there to see how it is wired. Makes me think that the pump may not have been broken in the beginning.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The pix are sideways

Are you using a different plug for plugging into original socket? Fuse checked?

It would seem a very simple problem to trace for anyone competent in such matters anyway.

agusta wrote: »
    It would be interesting to wire you old pump to a socket and see if it works..,my bet your old pump is perfect!,could you post a picture of your time clock and socket.is the fuse gone in the original plug as i had said in my first post

It really would be interesting to see that alright.
    ya we checked the fuse in the plug and it's fine.

Pic of switch

2zsbakx.jpg

• Advertisement

Yup, my conclusion:

There's is some problem with the lead / plug going from the socket to the pump.

As an above poster stated, it would be interesting to see if the old pump works when this is sorted.

I may just leave it alone tho :)

Hi.

He explained he couldn't do the electric part of the procedure.

is this a result of the Pat Rabbitte brainstorm?

Swap plugs around there in the pic, see does pump work then. Socket internal contacts might be faulty or bad.

Hitchens wrote: »
    is this a result of the Pat Rabbitte brainstorm?

Well that wouldnt include connecting a new pump to a plug.

Ok,it seems like the plug on the right is for your pump,could you plug your extension lead into this one and see if the boiler works,this will tell you if it is the socket or the cable..

Right so. I'll try switching the plugs amd later ill try plugging the extension lead into that socket.

Final question : when I plug it out and it switches off, should it take a while for the boiler to fire back up when I plug it back in?

Because it does. I'm guessing this is supposed to happen as it's fairly warm

Bruthal wrote: »
    Well that wouldnt include connecting a new pump to a plug.

it might suit a dodgy 'plumber' to use it as an excuse though

Hitchens wrote: »
    it might suit a dodgy 'plumber' to use it as an excuse though

O yea there is that alright.

After all, our great leaders are putting out ads saying any electrical work requires a registered contractor, which is untrue.

Right so. I'll try switching the plugs amd later ill try plugging the extension lead into that socket.

Final question : when I plug it out and it switches off, should it take a while for the boiler to fire back up when I plug it back in?

Plug in the extension lead into the plug where the pump lead was and then turn up thermostat on boiler for a few seconds and it will fire straight away if the socket is working,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Ya lads. Sorry about that. It's just I was trying to get pictures sorted and was been given further information on it as the minutes passed.

I don't really have a clue myself, never mind me trying to explain it to others.

At the moment we're convinced it's a problem with the wiring / the lead between the timer switch and the boiler or the socket under the timer switch.

not having a pop at you, your the customer you shouldn't have a clue, your doing ok. ;)

• Advertisement

Yes that's normal.

not having a pop at you, your the customer you shouldn't have a clue, your doing ok. ;)

Yes. Stick with it. You are nearly there now.

Unfortunately it's gone a bit late to keep playing with it.

We've had enough heat for the night now. The extension lead is plugged out and put away :D

Cheers for the replies. I'll give an update tomorrow

Advertisement