Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best CPU cooler for €100 / under €100?

Options
  • 14-11-2013 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hey, I'm planning on overclocking my i5 3570k to 4.5ghz soon. I'm wondering if I should buy a whole new CPU cooler or just get 2 new premium CPU fans and attach them onto the current cooler? Any ideas? I really wanna get 4.5GHZ without any rattling/loud sounds or overheating/high temps in the CPU.

Basic specs linked with CPU:
    Case: Cooltek Antiphon Black
    Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Pro
    CPU: i5 3570K
    Current CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo w/default single fan
    PSU: 500W
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I have the same cooler and an i7-3770k. Have you tried overclocking yet? What voltage do you need to get to 4.5 GHz (stable)? Would be worth trying it before spending on better cooling.

My cpu turns out to be something of an overclocking dud. I need around 1.35V to be stable at 4.5 GHz. I wouldn't want to run regularly at that voltage no matter how low the temperature. If that's your situation, extra airflow won't really do you much good.

Another important issue for ivy bridge cpu's is that they have TIM internally instead of solder. This means that heat tends to get trapped inside as compared with previous cpu generations. Your cooler can only remove heat if it actually gets out to the surface of the heat spreader. That's why some people de-lid their chips to get better thermal transfer.

My impression is that the evo already removes as much heat as can get out from the chip. A bigger cooler won't do much better.

I agree that the fan on the evo can be a bit loud at max rpm's. That would be the main benefit of an upgrade - quieter airflow at max speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Brian OH 99

Alright thanks! I have heard of plenty of people with 4.5ghz on i5 3570k so I'm still going for it. I think I'll follow your advice and keep the Hyper 212 EVO, I might just get a new fan for it though for quietness...they only cost like 9.99 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No point getting anything better than a 212 evo. It will get 4.5ghz on 3570k's most of the time. You will see very little gains past this point with any cooler.

You could add 2 fans to the case. Adding another fan to the cooler will do very little. Stick another intake on the bottom of the case and an exhaust in the rear top.

These are a bargain. Free delivery if you order enough of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermalright-X-Silent-120-50000-hours/dp/B002U50YAY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1384447868&sr=8-5&keywords=120mm+fan&tag=fczbkkcom04-21

Thanks! Will I need to buy some sort of wire to connect the fans to the motherboard or does it come with that wire?
    (sorry im a pc noob )

• Advertisement

It depends on how many free 3 pin connections you have left on your board and how many fans you are adding. You can buy a fan controller or a 3 pin fan splitter for the board or a molex to 3 pin splitter but you won't be able to control the speed with that.

One of these should do the trick if you need it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BitFenix-60cm-3-Pin-3x-Adapter/dp/B004J3MHDM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384449363&sr=8-3&keywords=3+pin+fan+splitter&tag=fczbkkcom04-21

Cheers!

Hey the seller only has 1 of those fans in stock BloodBath and the 2nd seller has expensive delivery and only 2 available and then the other sellers have 15 pounds for delivery.......

Any other silent 120mm case fans I could get instead? I need 4.

Those fans will be back in stock in a week if you can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

[QUOTE=BloodBath;87505623
    These are a bargain. Free delivery if you order enough of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermalright-X-Silent-120-50000-hours/dp/B002U50YAY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1384447868&sr=8-5&keywords=120mm+fan&tag=fczbkkcom04-21[/QUOTE]

Tht really is a good deal. Must remember them next time Im odering from amazon, push some more air onto my GPUs.

• Advertisement

Alright I'll wait the week, no probs

Last question...sorry. What would be a good fan to replace the stock one on my Hyper 212 Evo (not looking to get an extra fan on the heatsink, just to replace the current stock fan on the Hyper 212 Evo) It's quite loud and once I get the new fans and all, it'll keep my PC from being a stealthy ninja. might as well do it now and get it out of the way :) Budget: shouldn't exceed 20 pounds anyway (from amazon if possible)

p.s: I hear you need a fan with at least the same RPM as your CPU's stock fan or you'll lose cooling performance (duhh) that's why I don't think those case fans would work well on my heatsink as the CM H 212 evo stock fan is 600-1600 RPM while that case fan is 1000 RPM max

Could somebody answer me? :)

I'm not sure you can get a replacement fan which will be much quieter than the evo's and still push the same volume of air. The quieter fans with good airflow tend to be bigger (140mm) but those won't fit the evo.

To be honest I don't find the evo fan loud at all. Apparently the U.S. spec evo's run at 2000 rpm top speed so that might impact some of the reviews that call it loud.

You can also just set a custom fan profile or change the fan speed in the bios to keep it below 1200 rpm. I have a 'silent' bios profile like that and then I can't hear it all, even with my case fans turned down to minimum.

If you really want to get the most out of you air cooling, go could for something like the Noctua NH-D14. That will be better than any kind of extra fans strapped to the evo. I considered it myself, but it wouldn't fit on my motherboard (it's too wide, and it would have hit my gpu in the first slot). The D14 is also very heavy, it can crack your motherboard if your pc gets jolted while moving.

You'll definitely get lower temps with the D14, but that will probably only buy you another 200 MHz of overclock. The actual overclock you'll get in the end depends on your luck with the chip you got - some need lots more voltage than others.

It's a decent fan but there are better. I couldn't tell you what high end/ high performance fans to go for though tbh.

There's so many variables in tests it's hard to get definitive answers.

Ideally you want something with high static pressure, good airflow and quietness. It's pretty hard to get a good balance of all 3 of these.

The D-14 is total overkill for a 3570k. It will be quieter sure but really not worth it for similar overclock results.

To put it in perspective...

IF you have a very good or even 'golden' chip, you might hit 4.7-4.8 GHz with the evo, or 4.9-5 GHz with the big heavy D14.

IF you have an average chip, your looking at 4.5 with evo and maybe 4.6-4.7 with D14.

If you have below average (and it's not uncommon) you might only do 4.3 with evo and 4.4-4.5 with D14.

Those aren't exact numbers but I think it's reasonably accurate.

Luck100 wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can get a replacement fan which will be much quieter than the evo's and still push the same volume of air. The quieter fans with good airflow tend to be bigger (140mm) but those won't fit the evo.

To be honest I don't find the evo fan loud at all. Apparently the U.S. spec evo's run at 2000 rpm top speed so that might impact some of the reviews that call it loud.

You can also just set a custom fan profile or change the fan speed in the bios to keep it below 1200 rpm. I have a 'silent' bios profile like that and then I can't hear it all, even with my case fans turned down to minimum.

What GHZ is your CPU running at? I'm planning to get at least 4.2GHZ for my 3570k. Is your CPU below 65 degrees under load ? :)

Also about that heavy Noctua heatsink that 'could crack my motherboard' (:eek:) which would 'be an overkill for the 3570k', I found a fan very similar to the one on it. It has 1600RPM max speed and a 18 decimals (or db whatever) sound rating. That seems fairly solid.

My 3770k is definitely below average for overclocking. It needs 1.23V to be stable at 4.3GHz in prime95, with hottest core hitting 83C. Gaming loads are much cooler. Unigine Valley benchmark only hits 52C.

The overclock didn't impact my gaming quality in any perceptible way so I went
    back to stock speed with a little undervolting. The hottest it gets is 60C on the hottest core with prime95, everything else is much cooler. I might put the overclock back on if I start feeling the need for more performance.

What are the radiator fans people always recommend on here? Was it the be-quiet silent wings?

If it's good for a rad it will be good for a cpu cooler.

• Advertisement

What GHZ is your CPU running at? I'm planning to get at least 4.2GHZ for my 3570k. Is your CPU below 65 degrees under load ? :)

Also about that heavy Noctua heatsink that 'could crack my motherboard' (:eek:) which would 'be an overkill for the 3570k', I found a fan very similar to the one on it. It has 1600RPM max speed and a 18 decimals (or db whatever) sound rating. That seems fairly solid.

Like Bloodbath said, it's hard to give precise advice on fans. Those db noise levels are not measured in a consistent way between reviews and manufacturers, so they're not a reliable guide for general comparisons. They're only useful when the same person does the same measurement consistently for several different fans.

Never trust the manufacturers stated specs either :)

I checked it off this website :P they were all put at same % speeds and tested
    http://www.quietpc.com/120mmfans

After looking at that again for me this seems like a good fan:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-S12A-PWM-Case-Fan/dp/B00BHCMYIQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1384880228&sr=1-1&keywords=Noctua+NF-S12A

17.8 DBs sound, 1200 max RPM, 107m cubed of wind blown per hour...sounds good

I'm not even sure if my fans anywhere near 1000RPM on idle and it still is loud at idle. At load it's probably around 1000 RPM. It's very loud but definitely good at its price. my idle temps are 23 degrees. I just hate the loudness.

Install this, it will show your fan speed and system vital stats live.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My cpu fan runs at 600 rpm at idle. Can't hear it even with all the case fans turned down to minimum. It definitely shouldn't be audible at idle.

I checked it off this website :P they were all put at same % speeds and tested
    http://www.quietpc.com/120mmfans

After looking at that again for me this seems like a good fan:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-S12A-PWM-Case-Fan/dp/B00BHCMYIQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1384880228&sr=1-1&keywords=Noctua+NF-S12A

17.8 DBs sound, 1200 max RPM, 107m cubed of wind blown per hour...sounds good

I'm not even sure if my fans anywhere near 1000RPM on idle and it still is loud at idle. At load it's probably around 1000 RPM. It's very loud but definitely good at its price. my idle temps are 23 degrees. I just hate the loudness.

What about static pressure?

BloodBath wrote: »
    What about static pressure?
    1.19 mm H2O

source: http://www.quietpc.com/nf-s12a-pwm

Luck100 wrote: »
    Install this, it will show your fan speed and system vital stats live.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My cpu fan runs at 600 rpm at idle. Can't hear it even with all the case fans turned down to minimum. It definitely shouldn't be audible at idle.

1445 RPM right now and fairly loud (like a zmmmmmmmmm sound)
    When playing Arma 3, a very CPU intensive game. Temps are good.

Hmmm maybe the other fan won't cool as well?

So, you're seeing 1445 rpm in Arma. What about at idle? Just wondering if your fan profile is too aggressive.

Are you overclocked now? With my current setting (stock clock, undervolted) I'm running prime95 right now and seeing only 1050 rpm fan speed and 56C peak core. It's still very quiet at that speed, it doesn't get noticable until around 1200 rpm.

1440RPM in idle too.....very cool (temp wise) though and even though it's noticable it's still not half as noticable as my GPU when on full load.

Edit; Ugh...GPU isn't scoring too high FPS wise on Ultra and is very loud and hot..going to OC my CPU and see if my FPS improves a lot in Arma 3 and BF4, if not I'll either get a new heatsink+triple fan setup for the GPU or get a new GPU around Christmas - January.

I'm getting 25-45 FPS + 85*C in Arma 3. Only around 20-35 in Multiplayer... And in BF4 my temps rise to around 85-89 degrees and I get around 40-55 FPS. If I don't find a fix for these temps this card can get pretty badly damaged can't it? I heard you should try to get under 80 degrees at least.. I OCed it and the temps stayed the same and FPS went up in Arma 3 by like 5 FPS or so. (BF4 doesn't support OCed cards yet so it just crashes when your CPU is OCed)
    Also I tried removing a bunch of vents in my case to allow maximum air ventilation and put the case fans on 100% to see if the card would cool down. Only got 2-3*C cooler :(

• Advertisement

Your evo fan shouldn't be running at 1440 rpm if the cpu temps are low. Make sure it's plugged in to the motherboard fan controller, not some other case fan power connector. Your motherboard should spin the fan down to low rpm when the temps are low. There's also usually a fan profile in the Bios - make sure you didn't set that to run at max speed all the time. You might also have some fan controller software that runs in windows - that might be overriding the Bios and running your fan at max.

Not sure what's the issue with your gpu. What card do you have? Those 85-90 degree temps in Arma and BF are your graphics card, right?

Advertisement