Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All year puncture resistant tyre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭nailik

Putting them on can be very difficult and frustrating. Take care not to nip the tube.

I had a set of Ribmos on Mavic Aksiums that were so tight I eventually had to cut them off using a wire-cutter. I have no idea how the shop got them on in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I'm definately not racing!! I do on average I suppose 25kph maybe a bit more for hour long cycles. Sometimes go out for long cycles but stopped about a year ago due to newborn in the house.

I'm 6ft1'' and about 12stone so I dont know would that mean I shouldnt do 90psi.

If its more forgiving on bumpy roads that sounds good.

I'm no expert, just know what works for me after playing around with a pressure guage. Article here: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech-faq-more-on-fast-rolling-tires_210962 and Sheldon Brown site has more info with links to other sites. Velonews had an interview with a pro team mechanic and he said that nearly every racer he's met overinflated their tyres. The exception being Danny Pate who came from mountain biking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nailik wrote: »
    I had a set of Ribmos on Mavic Aksiums that were so tight I eventually had to cut them off using a wire-cutter. I have no idea how the shop got them on in the first place.
    I got my first puncture on my Ribmos (also on Aksiums wheels) on my commuter bike a couple of weeks ago. I had to remove and replace the tyre on the side of an unlit road at night . It wasn't easy but I managed it! :)

(Discovered when I got home that something had sliced the sidewall of the tyre. I'm not sure how I made it home without puncturing again).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

My Vittoria Rubinos (23mm) wore out recently and I replaced them with Ribmos (25mm) on the advice of the local shop. Was planning to use them mostly for commuting, but also for some winter spins.

The differences I noticed with the Ribmos were:
    - very quiet on the road
    - very heavy and dead in terms of feel
    - did a 60k spin on them and it nearly killed me, grannys were overtaking me. I discovered later that the pressure in the tyres had dropped to 80psi, from the 95 that I had them at. They are bettter at 95psi, but still slow compared to the Rubinos, and light years slower than the GP 4000S (which in fairness is designed for speed).
    - absolute nightmare to get on and off, but gets easier once they have been in use for a while. Someone suggested that heating them first makes it easier for first time use.

Oh, and I got a puncture, clean through the tyre, within 2 weeks of putting them on the bike so they are now going into the shed for someday use as turbo tyres. No point in putting up with all that hardship if they are not going to prevent punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Found the Rubino Pro's a good balance between puncture protection and grip. Have had 23mm gators and hated them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Hutchinson hardskin intensive.
    Bombproof, but seem to roll heavy. Put them on back wheel in april, no puncture yet. And im 100kg..

Advertisement