Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 vs BF4

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

OK, it is time to express your opinions on these games, not taking into consideration all the bugs and crashes with BF4, how do people feel about BF4 (when it's working) compared to BF3?

Which one do ye guys prefer and what are the reasons behind your choice? e.g. Map design, game types, graphics, the way it plays etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

BF4.

Plays better.

BF3 was OK but for some reason coming from BF2, I wasn't particularly drawn to it. Not sure why. But with BF4, I find it so addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

BF4.

Plays better.

BF3 was OK but for some reason coming from BF2, I wasn't particularly drawn to it. Not sure why. But with BF4, I find it so addictive.

I'm a big Battlefied fan and tbh I found it difficult coming from BFBC2 to BF3 on console. Once I moved to PC, BF3 was fantastic. At the mo I'm finding it difficult to get into BF4. Me aul BF3 tactics don't play out the same way in BF4.

Basically, I'm still struggling to adapt to BF4, hopefully it doesn't take too long :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Whatever people's opinions are, there no doubt whatsoever that it's a completely different game from BF3. I cannot for the life of me figure out all this nonsense about BF4 being BF3.5 - the gunplay is completely different, the maps are better designed and have more "in them", new weapons, new weapon control, new attachments, camos and so on.

I'm not sure which I prefer - I loved BF3 and I love BF4. There is more variety in BF4. In BF3 I found I was using the same weapons day in-day out, because they were the weapons that fired bullets and not marshmallows. The weapon balance in BF4 is very good, so there are more weapons now that shoot actual bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

At the moment it's like comparing chilli and sushi really. You love both, just not at the same time and which you prefer depends on your mood. Also, BF3 is a pretty polished system with lots of DLC and expansions at this stage while BF4 is still pretty rough. I mean, Metro or Seine on BF3 versus Locker or Shanghai on BF4 isn't a fair comparison. Ask again in six months and compare the ported BF3 maps with the experience in BF3 native and that'd be a better question.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

BF4 Is BF3.5, all of the moans about BF3 the medic train, the invincible Air, the assault class Are all patched features of BF4.

Level design I think is worse I think pound for pound Bf3s default maps are better than Bf4s. But they are still all very well designed maps except Shanghai....i hate that map.

Overall Bf3 had a long time to get the game right but still made stupid errors like giving out new vehicles that were only available in the new maps.

I think BF4 will be better in the longterm but right now Vanilla BF3 is better than vanilla Bf4.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    BF4 Is BF3.5, all of the moans about BF3 the medic train, the invincible Air, the assault class Are all patched features of BF4.

Level design I think is worse I think pound for pound Bf3s default maps are better than Bf4s. But they are still all very well designed maps except Shanghai....i hate that map.

Overall Bf3 had a long time to get the game right but still made stupid errors like giving out new vehicles that were only available in the new maps.

I think BF4 will be better in the longterm but right now Vanilla BF3 is better than vanilla Bf4.

With the exception of Flood Zone and Paracel Storm, I agree that BF3's default maps are better than BF4's.

Add Locker to the BF4>BF3 exception list and Firestorm to the BF3<BF4 exception list. BF3's default maps weren't all roses and sunshine, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

my bf3 tactic was:
    1. chose sniper
    2. play karkand
    3. use my bot thing(cant remember name now) to take me to the roof tops
    4. have epic roof battles and pew pew people on the ground. 'QQ more'

once they nerfed the ability to manipulate this bug i stopped playing bf3. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

To be honest not everyone will love every map however I find I am not enjoying them as much as I enjoyed Caspian and especially grand bazaar. Feckin loved that map.

Are they planing on porting a few BF3 maps over?

Guns are the best thing about this new game. Just love the sound.

battser wrote: »
    Are they planing on porting a few BF3 maps over?
    Yeah, a few, but apparently not Seine crossing :( Boo.
    Metro, Caspian border, Firestorm (booo!) and Gulf of Oman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ViP3r

Imo the single biggest improvement is pistol buff. They shoot REAL bullets now :O

Sparks wrote: »
    Firestorm (booo!)
    Jesus Christ :mad::mad::mad::mad:

battser wrote: »
    Jesus Christ :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Firestorm was my favourite map in BF3 for a long time, simply because I was a C4 whorebag :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Jihad jeep CITAAAAAY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Ì was hoping PC players would say "Firestorm is unreal, ye console players will love it with 64 players"... disappointed to hear that it doesn't sound any better.

Why the hell did they pick that map?

On the BF3 v BF4 debate, coming from a PS3 player I prefer BF4 for numerous reasons:-

- classes are far more balanced, nothing is really "OP" as it stands and the deaths are from all kind of guns
    - i think the vehicle combat is far better with the reload system
    - i love the way they tell you how much damage is inflicted on vehicles from shots, very informative
    - maps are more open (which can be a negative for conquest on console - until next gen) meaning the spamming of assault class is a thing of the past
    - sound is FAR better
    - bunny hopping gone
    - rambo revives and medic trains are gone - this was a major problem for me in BF3
    - obliteration is excellent... really love it and i dont think it will be a fad, can see myself playing obliteration, rush and conquest in equal measure
    - all the additional customisation is great

See... rather good so and cant wait till the 29TH!

I may as well just list the BF3 maps (not in order) that I didn't like because I like too many of them:
    • Operation Metro
    • Wake Island
    • Bandar Desert
    • Tehran Highway
    • Alborz Mountains
    • Armored Shield
    • Kiasar Railroad

Loved Grand Bazaar until it either became a cluster **** or a noob fest. I didn't really enjoy the close quarters maps but I would play them the odd time. I really enjoyed all others.

In BF4 I only like a few:
    • Flood Zone
    • Paracel Storm
    • Siege of Shanghai
    • Rogue Transmission

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Am I the only one that's never, ever cared for Wake, regardless of it's many incarnations?

Spear wrote: »
    Am I the only one that's never, ever cared for Wake, regardless of it's many incarnations?

Not alone alright. Love Karkand tho. Disappoint it won't be back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

mozattack wrote: »
    - i think the vehicle combat is far better with the reload system

What's the reload system?

grizzly wrote: »
    What's the reload system?

The "reload reload" timer on vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ViP3r

Love: Obliteration, levolution, the balance

Hate: Dawnbreaker jets....talk about being irrelevant

Firestorm is an excellent map, works for all types of players Inf, Tanks and aircraft.

Not a lot of maps make it work for all 3 players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Brian OH 99

Gulf of Oman, Siene Crossing, Firestorm, Kharg Island and Karkland have to be my fav maps...it's a shame only half of them are being ported :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I rarely just say x map is great or x map is ****, pretty much every map plays differently according to the game mode.
    For example theres a few maps in BF4 that are terrible for Conquest but excellent for rush,its been the same with every game in the series really,apart from early ones that had conquest only ofcourse.

Hate: Lancam Dam on conquest.
    Hadn't encountered this until last night, but I was trying to get in some air time in the helos just for fits and giggles after a few hours practicing on the test range and watching tutorial videos, and I couldn't even lift off on that map. I'd autodeploy into the transport or scout helo, with the throttle already at 100%, lift off (or downright jump off in the scout) and at about 20' off the deck, get hosed with 30mm cannon from the mobile AA camping in the other team's spawn point, more than 10 seconds run with c4 deep into the do-not-go area and basicly untouchable. Even tried two kamikaze runs with the jets but no luck. And nobody else was having better luck. For conquest, that's one seriously fudged up map. I don't recall anything on BF3 being that badly balanced before.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sparks wrote: »
    Hate: Lancam Dam on conquest.
    Hadn't encountered this until last night, but I was trying to get in some air time in the helos just for fits and giggles after a few hours practicing on the test range and watching tutorial videos, and I couldn't even lift off on that map. I'd autodeploy into the transport or scout helo, with the throttle already at 100%, lift off (or downright jump off in the scout) and at about 20' off the deck, get hosed with 30mm cannon from the mobile AA camping in the other team's spawn point, more than 10 seconds run with c4 deep into the do-not-go area and basicly untouchable. Even tried two kamikaze runs with the jets but no luck. And nobody else was having better luck. For conquest, that's one seriously fudged up map. I don't recall anything on BF3 being that badly balanced before.

Yes thats definitely a poor conquest map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Lancang Dam comments about on conquest have been said by Levelcap as well and some others.

I like it, get the Death Boat equip AA and tear all enemy air apart.

Then someone on the other side gets their AA and tears all your air apart and now there's just you and him having an AA duel while 62 other people sit around wondering why they paid anything up to a hundred euro to play this game (not to mention the money they paid for the hardware).

And what happens when dreamers75 can't spawn into the AA tank because there are 31 others queuing up to get into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Firestorm is an excellent map, works for all types of players Inf, Tanks and aircraft.

I never really enjoyed it to be honest, but you're right it is at least a balanced map.

Surprised Kharg Island isn't coming back, one of the few maps in BF3 that was truly excellent on conquest, rush and TDM.

Advertisement