Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G2Play issue

Options
  • 13-11-2013 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, hopin someone can help me here. I signed up to g2play last night just to buy BF4 Premium. I created an account (first time using them) as normal and proceeded to put said item in basket and proceeded to check out. Set my pay option to paypal and the transaction was sucessful, after which I got a reciept to my email to say order confirmed.
    Bout 10 minutes later I got a second email stating my order was waiting admin approval.

This was shortly followed by an email asking do I use proxys, and if not a few questions would follow.

Told them I dont use proxies, so next they said they wanted to know what country and city I was in and that they would need photo id as evidence that I was in the said city.

I questioned them about rhis and they said it was because my account had been flagged as suspicious by automated security!

Which I find hard to believe considering I only created the account last night and have only purchased one game, which I still have not got??

Dubious about putting any personal info on line, is this normal behaviour for this site? Anybody have to send them photo id?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I've bought a load of stuff from there and never had an issue. I wouldn't be giving photo ID tbh, have they already charged you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Clacke

I set up an account with them recently to get a Batman Origins Steam key. Paid through PayPal and received the key immediately with no problems or questions.....
    Asking for photo ID seems a bit dubious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ye I thought there would be no issue, I was not using proxy,vpn when I was on there site, I wasnt trying to get around region restrictions or anything. They just had BF4 at a good price so thought id buy it.

They did take payment before asking all this, when asked why they did that they said it was a simple verification process and nothing to worry about. Not impressed with that, putting personal data online is never trivial.

Weird because I know a lot of people on here get games from them. Ill be asking for my money back I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have seen this a few times from people on here who were asked the same thing, I can't remember if they sent their details though

check allkeyshop for another key reseller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

Seems a lot of retailers are doing this at the moment. There must be a rise in fraud on these sites, with possibly the sites losing out in the end. I got he same thing from simplycdkeys yesterday, about the 3rd or 4th time I've ordered from them. They asked for a copy of my passport or drivers licence. I challanged it saying why do I need to do it now after I've bought things before with them, I also said if I need to send my ID I'd rather just cancel the order. They didn't reply, but I got the code about an hour later.

• Advertisement

Something similar is after happening here. After about 5-6 emails, they reply very quickly in fairness to them,from about 1 last night through to this morning I asked for my money back as I was unwilling to provide said documents and thanks for there time to which I got this reply:

Dear customer,

We have reviewed your order once more and if you are still interested we can make an exception and send you the key. Please inform us about your decision.

I said I would because I want the game but theres something going on here if other sites are doing it also. I wonder if its related to all the credit card info stolen in ireland recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

EoinHef wrote: »
    Something similar is after happening here. After about 5-6 emails, they reply very quickly in fairness to them,from about 1 last night through to this morning I asked for my money back as I was unwilling to provide said documents and thanks for there time to which I got this reply:

Dear customer,

We have reviewed your order once more and if you are still interested we can make an exception and send you the key. Please inform us about your decision.

I said I would because I want the game but theres something going on here if other sites are doing it also. I wonder if its related to all the credit card info stolen in ireland recently

Maybe even just fighting your case and seeing that you are genuine kind of verifys you in a way. Unless there is something more fishy going on and they are trying to collect details to sell on? But sure they'd have your name and address already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The credit card issue in Ennis was for customers across the entire EU. There may have been a glitch in their security screening, or maybe you got routed to them through a weird route that triggered a mismatch on your declared location and your IP location. Is your paypal account setup properly? You might be down as Israel or Iceland :D

You could ask them what the issue is, did your IP show up as from somewhere else or what was the problem? It's weird to me that they would back down after you refused - what's the point of having a screening process if you go "oooh, fine, this one time" when they refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I cant buy of G2Play for a similar reason

My Paypal account is so old it predates me having a credit card, so the first card you add is the the name on your account. So it is my Mams name. (when adding new cards you can change the first name of the billing address)

I signed up for G2play using my own name, bought somehting and when the name on the paypal account didnt match their account they flagged it.

They wanted me to send photo id of both me and my mam. I told them to refund me as I wasnt doing that and in fairness they did.

I know its very strange, paypal is set up properly, verified using the code they give on your bank statement and everything. I will check country I have down just incase but ive been using it about 2 years now at this stage and had no issues.

I have used browser plugins to get access to a certain streming sites american store but its was disabled and I checked my ip and was showing my normal upc assigned one. Unless as you say there was a routing issue but ive never seen that before.

Yeah it does make a mockery of the screening/security process if a few emails can sidestep it. Maybe as suggested being honest and frank in the emails was enough for them to think I was genuine.

Just recieved the key via email there aswell.

Just checked paypal and all correct details entered. Ive used one previous card on the account and it was mine, so should be no issues there

• Advertisement

Asked in my last email would this be an issue for me in the future with them and that I was very confused as to why this would happen, just got this response.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email.Your order status has been changed to Processed and the product was sent to your mailbox.You can also view your purchased product from your order history.We only stop orders for verification in accordance with recommendation from our security system.This is usually based on details provided by the customer, frequency of his orders and the kind of games he is purchasing.We have been receiving many chargebacks lately therefore we need to be more careful.We hope there won't be any issues with your orders in the future."

Im sure this must be in relation to identity fraud/use of vpns/proxies and such but im still puzzled as to why I was flagged, I wasnt using one!

I have a dig around the info I put into there site but it was all just standard registering stuff. Email, name, address etc etc

Maybe a spelling mistake or something!!

EDIT: Just checked all registering info with the site there, all correct and matches my paypal info. Strange, but I got the key anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Asked in my last email would this be an issue for me in the future with them and that I was very confused as to why this would happen, just got this response.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email.Your order status has been changed to Processed and the product was sent to your mailbox.You can also view your purchased product from your order history.We only stop orders for verification in accordance with recommendation from our security system.This is usually based on details provided by the customer, frequency of his orders and the kind of games he is purchasing.We have been receiving many chargebacks lately therefore we need to be more careful.We hope there won't be any issues with your orders in the future."

Im sure this must be in relation to identity fraud/use of vpns/proxies and such but im still puzzled as to why I was flagged, I wasnt using one!

I have a dig around the info I put into there site but it was all just standard registering stuff. Email, name, address etc etc

Maybe a spelling mistake or something!!

EDIT: Just checked all registering info with the site there, all correct and matches my paypal info. Strange, but I got the key anyway

Do you use Netflix unlock or media hint?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

asked from one of the sites before for a pic of my drivers license, passport, or government issued ID - so sent a pic of my garda id (:D) with some bits blocked off, and was no bother

another site, I got an automated phonecall to ensure I was not a bot (automated voice reads out some numbers, which you type into a form on the site) etc

fwiw, Ive never had any problems with g2play, and have used them many many times - second only to steam itself probably

Do you use Netflix unlock or media hint?

Media hint, but it was disabled. Im quite careful when I enable it, and it was definitely disabled last night. I only use it for the one thing and last time I used it was about 2 weeks ago

After they sent the key I said I was still confused as to why I was flagged and they sent this:

"Dear Customer,

This was probably caused by the way you have entered your address.I can see that you have entered Dublin in your post code.Would you be able to change your city to Dublin and erase it from your post code?This should help to avoid future issues.Thank you for considering our request."

I have city listed as dublin but I did put dublin 15 in the postcode section, as it is my postcode!! Nearly every site do not like irish postcodes!! Hopefully that was it, maybe they saw this and realised was a mistake and decided to let the key go through to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I work in anti credit card fraud. Don't see this website but games/cd keys sellers do get hammered quite often. I imagine 'relatively' small merchants like this really can't afford to be hammered with chargebacks so it doesn't surprise me if they ask for ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

They sometimes do this to new buyers if their IP address doesn't match up with the details they provided.
    I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. G2Play operate in a legal grey area selling keys from retail boxes in other regions. They've also been involved in a few cases where they've been selling keys that were only supposed to have been sold through steam leading to people having trouble activating the games on Steam. Also the owner of the site has a fairly shady background.

I've posted links to these a few times so I'm not going to bother now. People always turn a blind eye to it as long as they are getting the games cheaper. I definitely wouldn't activate any of their keys on Steam. Valve currently can't trace the origins of most of these keys but if they ever develop the ability to do so, they'll may start deleting the games from people's accounts or worse, banning them.

I work in anti credit card fraud. Don't see this website but games/cd keys sellers do get hammered quite often. I imagine 'relatively' small merchants like this really can't afford to be hammered with chargebacks so it doesn't surprise me if they ask for ID.

Yeah with all the vpn/proxy use and credit card fraud these days i can appreciate it must be very hard to police this kind of thing as a small company with not many resources. You only have to look at the amount of europeans playing BF4 on the american release date, and EA stated they would be monitoring the game for this. Even some fairly well known youtubers based in europe were putting videos up on american release day!

As regards ID, I would be weary putting anything like photo ID online. I mean ive no idea how that info is stored or how secure it is. I do understand why they would want a better way to tell who/where you are but asking for a picture or scan of a personal document is the wrong way to go about it I reckon

In fairness to G2Play,they responded to emails extremely quickly, were fairly curtious and resolved the problem within 12 hours so no complaints on that front and at the end of the day, things go wrong, its how its sorted out when it does that matters. And I have no complaints about there customer service,only for they could have told me the address conflict thing a little sooner

They sometimes do this to new buyers if their IP address doesn't match up with the details they provided.
    I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. G2Play operate in a legal grey area selling keys from retail boxes in other regions. They've also been involved in a few cases where they've been selling keys that were only supposed to have been sold through steam leading to people having trouble activating the games on Steam. Also the owner of the site has a fairly shady background.

I've posted links to these a few times so I'm not going to bother now. People always turn a blind eye to it as long as they are getting the games cheaper. I definitely wouldn't activate any of their keys on Steam. Valve currently can't trace the origins of most of these keys but if they ever develop the ability to do so, they'll may start deleting the games from people's accounts or worse, banning them.

Apologies if you've linked them a few times but I have not come accross the links before, any chance you could throw them up?

Or even link the thread you put them up in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have city listed as dublin but I did put dublin 15 in the postcode section, as it is my postcode!! Nearly every site do not like irish postcodes!!

I normally just put a D in front of the area code

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Apologies if you've linked them a few times but I have not come accross the links before, any chance you could throw them up?

Or even link the thread you put them up in?

Here's a couple

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055923243

http://steamunpowered.eu/g2play-net-selling-stolen-cd-keys/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was asked for ID a few years back, and gave them a scanned copy of my license (or passport). It's a once off thing, and i've not had any issues since then.

Pretty sure no one stole my identity either...at least not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I had an issue with them a while back as well. I ordered a game, money came out of paypal and didn't hear from them for a few days. I sent a fair few angry messages and when they finally responded, they said that there was a problem with my order as my email for g2play was different from my paypal account and that I wouldn't be getting my game. I replied that they still took the ****ing money, so either I get my game or I was contacting paypal to get my money back. 2 minutes later I got the code.
    I know everyone is saying about the anti-fraud measures, but after my experience ,I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they are chancing their arm, to see if people won't do anything about it. I've ever bought anything from them since and have never had any sort of similar issues with any other key reseller.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,862 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

my email address on their site is different than my paypal address. Never had any trouble with it

I bought a game there a few minutes ago deadfall adventures. I havent played it but looks interesting and a google review on it, mg what have I done?

Advertisement