Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual sim android

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Thanks - Didn't know Pixmania were stocking them now and at a comparable price to Amazon.fr as well.

I have no experience of the Alcatel but on paper spec it has
    lower OS 4.1 not 4.2
    smaller screen 4.7 not 5
    smaller battery 1800 not 2000
    lower resolution 540 x 960 not 1280 x 720 pixels
    lower megapix camera 8mp not 13mp
    cpu is dual core 1GHz not quad core 1.2GHz
    it costs more...not supplied by Pixmania and Shipping fees: € 17.22

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

ok - that answers my question - I'll just go with the Stairway I think then from Pixmania

Pity about the darkfull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

johnmck wrote: »
    ok - that answers my question - I'll just go with the Stairway I think then from Pixmania

Pity about the darkfull

Has amazon.fr not dispatched your Darkfull then? I got an email the day after I ordered my Stairway to say it's been dispatched and estimated delivery is tomorrow so hopefully it comes.

Has amazon.fr not dispatched your Darkfull then? I got an email the day after I ordered my Stairway to say it's been dispatched and estimated delivery is tomorrow so hopefully it comes.

It's a new phone from Wiko so they don't have full stock yet (if any, but saying that it appears as in stock on the site right now...). I saw the same for Stairway when it was first out, so waited until there was stock before ordering.

MBSnr wrote: »
    It's a new phone from Wiko so they don't have full stock yet (if any, but saying that it appears as in stock on the site right now...). I saw the same for Stairway when it was first out, so waited until there was stock before ordering.

Awh I see now. I must have been getting the Darkside and the Darkfull mixed up!

• Advertisement

hmm maybe I should wait!

So my Stairway came today.

First impressions...looks lovely, the white with the aluminium trim is class. Seems to work well with 2 SIMS with no problems. Flows nice with no lag. Very impressed so far! Any reviews said there was a blue tint to the screen but I can't see any evidence of that.

Going to leave it to charge for a while and I'll have a proper play with it later :)

Just a little update on the Stairway.

Super phone. Finding it hard to get used to the size of it though compared to my previous phone. Only negative thing I have noticed is the battery. I expected it to be better to be honest. It's OK but not great. Only relatively light use each day and I'm just getting a days use out of it. It must be the fact it's Dual Sim which makes it sorer on the battery. Searching for signal would eat at the battery too I guess!

Other than that, it's excellent. The HD screen for youtube and other videos is unreal!

^^^
    I'd say it's the running of both SIMs, which have to listen to two separate cell networks, that drops it so quick. I have one SIM in mine, mostly have it on wifi during the day and currently it's at 49% battery and 1d 13h 20m since last charge. Have at times nearly got 3 days out of it between charges but that's with it doing nothing for 8 or 9 hours each night. The 3G kills the battery very quickly. I do tend to turn that off at night if I remember.

is there a way to have both sims in and have software turn off one of the sims?

• Advertisement

johnmck wrote: »
    is there a way to have both sims in and have software turn off one of the sims?

Yes in SIM management you can individually turn off each SIM card.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

Thanks for the tip on the Wiko Stairway. I was looking for a dual Sim phone to avoid roaming when commuting to UK and bought it through Amazon.fr. I have it now one week and am really impressed. I had been tempted to go for Samsung as I hadn't heard of Wiki before, but my wife had lag problems with a Galaxy S2 and Tab 3 so I was uncertain. Really glad now that I went Wiko.
    I read this week that they will start selling in UK in next weeks.

^^^
    Wow seems so. They have changed their website to include English for the 1st time.... I guess they are looking to expand beyond selling primarily to France. Good luck to them.

My brother is looking for a new phone and I've looked at both the Wiko Darknight and the Wiko Rainbow. Has anyone any experience of these phones? I have the Stairway myself and it's a cracking phone.

My brother is looking for a new phone and I've looked at both the Wiko Darknight and the Wiko Rainbow. Has anyone any experience of these phones? I have the Stairway myself and it's a cracking phone.

I have the Stairway as well. The Rainbow has a much lower spec screen AFAIK. Don't know about the Darknight. Do a compare on wikomobile.com if you have access to a PC.

Other option is the Darkmoon - a good 4.7 inch phone if he doesn't need the 5 inch one. I know someone with it and they're happy.

I have the Stairway as well. The Rainbow has a much lower spec screen AFAIK. Don't know about the Darknight. Do a compare on wikomobile.com if you have access to a PC.

Other option is the Darkmoon - a good 4.7 inch phone if he doesn't need the 5 inch one. I know someone with it and they're happy.

Thanks. He went for the Wiko Wax which is only out a few weeks. It's 4g compatible so hopefully it'll do him grand. Around €200 so more or less the same price as the Darknight.

Thanks. He went for the Wiko Wax which is only out a few weeks. It's 4g compatible so hopefully it'll do him grand. Around €200 so more or less the same price as the Darknight.

Is this defo dual SIM? I've read that it is on Amazon but not in the reviews....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Can any of these phones be upgraded to Android 4.4 or whatever the latest version is?

veganrun wrote: »
    Can any of these phones be upgraded to Android 4.4 or whatever the latest version is?

The Wiko can be by applying a custom ROM. Wiko tend to bring out a phone and don't provide updates - it stays at the version shipped. I did once get a kernel update but not a new version of android.

Is this defo dual SIM? I've read that it is on Amazon but not in the reviews....

Not entirely sure to be honest. He doesn't need it to be dual SIM though so it'll be grand. Once he gets it, I'll have a play with it and let you know what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I have had a Wiko Stairway for a year now and an very happy with it. Unfortunately I smashed the screen a few days ago and need to get it replaced, add you can imagine the local repair shop doesn't stock glass for Wikos. Had anybody had their screen replaced? Did you order the glass and do yourself?

minnow wrote: »
    I have had a Wiko Stairway for a year now and an very happy with it. Unfortunately I smashed the screen a few days ago and need to get it replaced, add you can imagine the local repair shop doesn't stock glass for Wikos. Had anybody had their screen replaced? Did you order the glass and do yourself?

Just as an update, I bought a new screen on eBay and had it installed. It died progressively over a week, leaving the phone unusable. I am not having any luck in locating original Wiko parts online. Any ideas?

Advertisement