Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest thermostat working in Ireland ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I ordered the Nest on their own website a week ago, and it still hasn't shipped.

I emailed them, and they said, despite the problem, I will get the free install.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

• Registered Users Posts: 23,412 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I believe that the article related to their older products and not to the NEO range. The older ones required port forwarding to be set up the newbies don't

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Did anyone have any of these installed yet? What do you think of them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

17larsson wrote: »
    Did anyone have any of these installed yet? What do you think of them?

We've had ours about 4 weeks now, absolutely delighted with it. The schedules needed a bit of tweaking initially when it was learning out routines apart from that no issues.

It's surprisingly accurate at detecting when the house is empty which is great when you break from your normal routine, regardless of the schedule it just switched the heating to 'auto-away'. The mobile app lets you switch the heating back on when you're on your way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

I have a combi boiler and 2 heating zones. Is this my best option for just 2 zone heating?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Depends on house size and design. With a combi boiler, the hot water is taken care of, so 2 heating zones would be normal. Having said that, a house can't really have too much control.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

Its a 2 bed terraced house about 1000 square foot (A 2 up 2 down with downstairs utility and toilet). I have about 8 rads and I'm renovating it. Have the plumbers and electrician out next week so thinking this is my best shot to do something where I can control my heating remotely with a decent thermostat.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Nest will only control one zone. In your instance, I would be inclined to separate the living room from the rest and just use the nest for that. I am, however not convinced of the need for the learning feature of the nest. I use a wifi switch myself. Before I go out, I switch off all the zones except the living area (those other zones are off this time of year anyway) and use my phone app to turn it on before I arrive home.

Depending on your budget, I would at least put Programmable Radiator Valves on all your rads when renovating. Or even the ones (Programmable Radiator Valves) that can be controlled remotely if you can afford them.

There are lots of threads here on boards about all of this and lots of different opinions also.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

crossvilla wrote: »
    I have a combi boiler and 2 heating zones. Is this my best option for just 2 zone heating?

You will need to get 2 nests.
    Also look at tado, I have that one my self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

I've a bungalow that's being renovated and extended with heating and water separated (standard boiler).

Is there a recommended alternative to Neat that could control both remotely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

WillyWonka wrote: »
    I've a bungalow that's being renovated and extended with heating and water separated (standard boiler).

Is there a recommended alternative to Neat that could control both remotely?

www.tado.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Climote will also work , up to 3 zones . And if you switch to electric Ireland you get it free with free installation

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

I've got the owl intuition,find it works well. No ongoing subscription costs which is a big plus.

Advertisement