Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am a slow cyclist

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I usually see those feckers at the next red traffic lights, some of them roaring at them to change to change :D

Seriously, had both a road bike and a mountain bike, but I think, mountain bikes are a bit better if you have really bad road surfaces, for example James' Street/Thomas Street or Emmet Road :rolleyes:

Mountain bikes are necessary for off road conditions. They aren't necessary for potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I usually see those feckers at the next red traffic lights, some of them roaring at them to change to change :D

Seriously, had both a road bike and a mountain bike, but I think, mountain bikes are a bit better if you have really bad road surfaces, for example James' Street/Thomas Street or Emmet Road :rolleyes:

I've ridden my road bike over the cobbles of Paris Roubaix and it survived just fine while I was passing out eejits on MTBs riding on the grass along side the cobbled sections!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

28mm tyres at 100psi = perfect for city cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's just sometimes I see people sailing past and it seems they aren't expending near as much energy as I am. Maybe I'm not as fit as I think:(
    This is always true.

There will never be a time in your cycling career that this is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Op, I think your travel times for that distance are fairly good.

Don't be too hard on yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

chinwag wrote: »
    Op, I think your travel times for that distance are fairly good.

Don't be too hard on yourself!
    Ah cheers.:) I actually thought the times were okay as well. It's just when you see people passing you it makes you wonder. Competitive streak kicking in perhaps. I was a great little cyclist as a kid, I was never off the bike!
    I think eventually I might get myself a better bike if I can get somewhere safe to store it.
    I love cycling though. Commuting on the bike these past few months made me realise what I'd been missing.There's a familiarity to it that brings you right back to your youth. Almost Proustian! sorry:o
    Plus I save at least €20 a week on Luas fares.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I actually really enjoy the cycle and really feel the benefit of it.
    If I find a link I'll post it. It was a cheap bike so I guess you get what you pay for. I am loathe to spend a lot to be honest with all the bikes being nicked in Dublin.

If you're enjoying it, you'll enjoy it more on a good bike.

As for getting nicked, spend about €60 or so on a decent (heavy) D-lock and learn how to lock the bike properly and see can you find a good parking spot (maybe indoors at work if possible?).

If you're handy with the tools, it might be worth stripping the bike down and greasing/adjusting every bearing and cable and oiling the mechs and chain. That, along with slick tyres will improve matters in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Not so sure about that. It's got suspension, which should certainly increase speed.:rolleyes:

Sorry, but this is totally incorrect. The laws of 'conservation of energy' determine that a suspension will use up energy, thus you will go slower (for a given output). Think of it, every time you pump your legs up and down to turn the wheels some of the energy is being used to compress the suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

youtheman wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is totally incorrect. The laws of 'conservation of energy' determine that a suspension will use up energy, thus you will go slower (for a given output). Think of it, every time you pump your legs up and down to turn the wheels some of the energy is being used to compress the suspension.

Physics fail. You can't "use up" energy!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Smiley fail more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I love cycling though. Commuting on the bike these past few months made me realise what I'd been missing.There's a familiarity to it that brings you right back to your youth. Almost Proustian! sorry:o

You'd never get that asthmatic hypochondriac up on a bike. Or going to work come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Ah cheers.:) I actually thought the times were okay as well. It's just when you see people passing you it makes you wonder. Competitive streak kicking in perhaps. I was a great little cyclist as a kid, I was never off the bike!
    I think eventually I might get myself a better bike if I can get somewhere safe to store it.
    Plus I save at least €20 a week on Luas fares.:)

Just don't cycle like a ten year old. That way lies red light jumping, salmoning and footpath cycling.

Three of the seven deadly bicycle sins.

Advertisement