Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very early ultrasound

Options
  • 05-11-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I found out this week that I am pregnant. However, my doctor and I are finding it difficult to date the pregnancy as I have pcos and a very irregular cycle.
    This is my first pregnancy and I am very nervous about it, every little twinge or ache has me running to the bathroom to see that everything is okay. My doctor suggested paying for a private scan in Mount Carmel to put my mind at ease.

My worry is that if I am not as far along as the doctor thinks (5-6 weeks and that pregnancy should show up on a US by Nov 11th) that by the time my scan happens on the 13th Nov that nothing will show up, there'll be no heartbeat yet and my anxiety and fear will be worse. Has anybody any words of wisdom or experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

My words of wisdom are to try to relax, regardless of how far along you are the main job for you is to sit tight and relax, try to find calm about it and wait for your scan... X I know it probably doesn't help but the most important thing is for you to sit tight for the next few weeks, of something happens there is so very little can be done, so you have to trust the time is right and you will be ok, and your pregnancy will be also.
    I would not recommend personally paying for a private early scan. Scans are not great, and there seems to be very little that you could do either way. Tale a step back and try to relax for a couple of weeks, hths and congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't know what the situation is in dublin, but in cork the GP can refer you to the early preg unit for scans on the public system. On every one of my pregnancies I have had early scans. Never went private. I have PCOS as well, so have the same trickiness with dates.

On what they can see... The earliest I have seen a heartbeat is 6 weeks, they have very sensitive scanners in the EPU. At five weeks we saw a sac, yolk and fetal pole, so they asked me to come back a few days later to verify a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MsMadden

Hiya, congratulations! Not sure what to say about the scan to be honest, I think you should relax and take it easy, Ive started the anti - estrogenic diet two days ago, to reverse pcos, worth a look, but anyway, if you're worried, I think you should go have a reiki session, might help you relax you know, I recently went to see Joe Gough a psychic and a healer, seen a few bad things on here about him but I went and it was fantastic! Couldn't ask for more to be honest! Anyway, all the best with your pregnancy! Just have faith in it an youll be just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Hi i had m/c last year so on this one i went to EPU in Rotunda at 6 weeks and they could only see the sac. Went back at 8 weeks and everythingwas fine. I would ask your GP to refer you to the EPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Thanks ladies, really appreciate the responses. My scan is booked for next Friday and I am nervous because I don't know if I will be 6 weeks or 7 weeks. I'm afraid if it's too early and they don't see anything that I'll freak out and be a mess for the next few weeks til a heartbeat becomes noticeable. Just gona keep my fingers crossed that baby's heart is beating and will be visible next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I had a scan at six weeks and u can see a heartbeat. We'll actually I couldn't see much of anything but the midwife saw one! My dec also referred me to the epu and I had a scan at 8 and 6 weeks both for free and was really well looked after.

Dont stress if you cant. When i went the could clearly see the sac but no heartbeat at 6weeks. They didnt seem worried as they wer happy with the shape if the sac. Best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I had an internal scan at 6.5 weeks and saw and heard the heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Seeger

Hi Isolt,
    Congratulations! I also have PCOS and on this pregnancy rang the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit in my maternity hospital myself without a doctors referral. I explained that I had no clue about dates and they booked me in for an early scan. I was 10 weeks pregnant on this scan but on my last pregnancy I had an internal ultrasound as I was only 6 weeks pregnant. There was no heartbeat at that stage, but they were able to tell me the yolk sac was a good size and everything looked in order. They booked me in for a follow up scan two weeks later (I had bleeding from 6-9weeks of that pregnancy) and everything was perfect. The EPAU wont see you until you are sure you're six weeks pregnant. I did a clearblue digital pregnancy test which showed 3+ weeks pregnant (Which means 5+ the way doctors date them. I would ring the EPAU and see if they can fit you in for a scan, they are lovely and mightn't have a scan available for a week or two as its not an emergency so you could well be at heartbeat stage by then. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My gp does a scan to confirm pregnancy. At 6 weeks couldnt find anything so reffered mevto epu. 3 days later had internal scan at just over 6 weeks and all they could seecwas the sac. Brought me back the following week (7 weeks) and although sac etc was bigger still no hearbeat (internal scan) but they were happy with that as bloods were fine.
    At the gp at 8 weeks had an ultrasound scan and everything looked fine .
    Now 22 weeks and all good. Dont worry yourself too much. I was stressed to the last but all was fine.

• Advertisement

I had my scan today, my doc and I reckoned I was around 6 - 7 weeks but my scan only showed a sac, no fetal pole or heartbeat. I am really sad today and feel like we should definitely have seen more by now. I got my positive (strong) tests 2 weeks ago, so how there could be no fetal pole yet doesn't make sense to me. The clearblue said 3+ more than a week ago.

I have to go back in 1.5 weeks to see if baby has grown or if it's not to be. Fingers crossed. I wish I could stay asleep until the 10 days were over.

Hi Isolt,

I know its very hard but try be positive. I could only see the sac at 6 weeks too and when i went back nearer the 8 weeks everything was perfect. Everyone is different and
    just because some people see the heartbeat earlier it doesnt mean anything if you dont. Did they give you anything positive at all. When i left mine they said the sac was a good shape which was a good thing

Isolt wrote: »
    I had my scan today, my doc and I reckoned I was around 6 - 7 weeks but my scan only showed a sac, no fetal pole or heartbeat. I am really sad today and feel like we should definitely have seen more by now. I got my positive (strong) tests 2 weeks ago, so how there could be no fetal pole yet doesn't make sense to me. The clearblue said 3+ more than a week ago.

I have to go back in 1.5 weeks to see if baby has grown or if it's not to be. Fingers crossed. I wish I could stay asleep until the 10 days were over.

What kind of scan was it? To see a fetal pole or heartbeat that early requires an internal scan, with the wand-type scanner. You need one of the fancy-pants scanners for it to work. It's the empty bladder scan.

If you had an external scan, jelly on the belly, full bladder, then nothing much would be visible at all.

They didn't say anything much, other than it looks like what a normal 4-5 week pregnancy looks like. But I got my positive test on the 2nd so how can that be right and still no fetal pole?
    She said at this stage it could go either way, that all is fine and I'm just much earlier than expected or that the pregnancy is not going to last. She said if it's the latter and any bleeding begins before she sees me again to go to Holles St. She didn't say anything else other than re-scan in 10 days.

They did both external and internal scans.

Thanks for posting, I'm going insane here.

That really sounds like what i went through. Was estimationg about 6 weeks but when gp sent me to epu it was only a small sac dating around 4- 5 weeks.
    No matter how many times i was told or tried telling myself to try not to worry it was no use.
    I went back a week later and hcg in bloods had increased sac had grown but still no heart beat . The dated me at 5 +5 .
    2 weeks later and another scan was when we finally seen the heart beat.
    The hospital sometimes has you worry needlessly but i can see why.
    Theres a sac there so thats a good sign .
    Best of luck .

Succee your story is one of the biggest reassurances I'm holding onto. I hope so much when I go back that they'll see a baby and a heartbeat. Thanks for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

While not the same situation it's similar. I went for my first ultrasound at what I thought was 7wks5days but was dated at 6wks 3. This would have meant I got a positive pregnancy test at 2 days past ovulation and a clearblue one saying 2-3weeks when I was only about a week past ovulation by their calculations.

All worked out fine but nothing could stop me from worrying in those early days. It's so difficult but trying to remember bean is growing constantly and even one day can make a huge difference on the scan.

Hope all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Seeger

Very same for me Isolt, just yoke sack at 6 weeks, except i had bleeding too! You can't be sure of dates with pcos, if anything, the strength of the positive pregnancy tests shows that you have very high hcg levels which is a real positive. I hope the 10 days flys by, really try and relax and do stuff to take your mind off it and stay positive!

Seeger wrote: »
    Very same for me Isolt, just yoke sack at 6 weeks, except i had bleeding too! You can't be sure of dates with pcos, if anything, the strength of the positive pregnancy tests shows that you have very high hcg levels which is a real positive. I hope the 10 days flys by, really try and relax and do stuff to take your mind off it and stay positive!

Thanks Seeger, I will try just really be nice to myself for the next 10 days. I hope that two weeks from now I will be breathing a sigh of relief and have a big cheesy grin after seeing my baby's heart beating!

Just an update for those of you who posted to comfort me last week.
    I went back for my follow up scan. This time there was a yolk sac and the gestational sac had gotten bigger but they couldn't not see the baby. She said the sac was measuring just under or just on 6 weeks. I was certain I should be able to see baby by now. Even with internal exam she wasn't sure if she could see a fetal pole.

I have to go back in another 10 days and she said she'll know either way by then if the baby is okay or if the pregnancy isn't working out. :(
    I can't even imagine another 10 days of this worry all to be given bad news. I would do anything at this stage to see my baby on the screen on the next scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I went back for my follow up scan. This time there was a yolk sac and the gestational sac had gotten bigger but they couldn't not see the baby. She said the sac was measuring just under or just on 6 weeks. I was certain I should be able to see baby by now. Even with internal exam she wasn't sure if she could see a fetal pole.

I have to go back in another 10 days and she said she'll know either way by then if the baby is okay or if the pregnancy isn't working out. :(
    I can't even imagine another 10 days of this worry all to be given bad news. I would do anything at this stage to see my baby on the screen on the next scan.

Fingers crossed for you xx

All the best. I really hope things work out for you.

Hi ladies,

The hospital confirmed today that the baby died around 5 weeks. She said it's called a missed misscarriage where your body still holds onto the baby even though it's already dead. Today has been the worse day of my life.
    Thank you to everyone who posted to reassure me. I wish I had a happier update. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww:(
    Sorry to hear your news.

Hi ladies,

The hospital confirmed today that the baby died around 5 weeks. She said it's called a missed misscarriage where your body still holds onto the baby even though it's already dead. Today has been the worse day of my life.
    Thank you to everyone who posted to reassure me. I wish I had a happier update. :(

Oh no, my heart really goes out to you. I've been through it as well, this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Hi Isolt,

So sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing in July last year. Its an awful thing to happen and very tough to accept. I am now happily 8 weeks away from giving birth so please dont let this experience stop you from trying again. I cried for weeks afterwards so just do what you have to do to get through this tough time. Thinking of you x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Oh, Isolt, that's very sad news. Look after yourself xx

Awh im so so sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement

I just can't bring myself to take the cytotec, it seems like that's the end and I'm giving up on it by taking it. But I know it's already over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement