Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduced Capacity on Peak service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Why is this though? Have the trains not arrived yet from their previous working? Do they take longer to turnaround(cleaning, retention tank/water tank work)? Do train crew arrive late?

From what I have seen the trains are at the platform early enough but being cleaned or having some kind of maintenance done, also then waterford trains seem to be used as a stand in for more important services when their allocated train suffers a failure, then the replacement for Waterford is usually only 3cars and boards and departs very late. Other trains don't suffer the same delays with boarding that Carlow/Waterford customers must endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Most likely still in that dreamland of yours. Nice to know that you were dreaming of me though ;).

Sorry, it was lxflyer who said the 17.35 should be a 6 car. It never is.
    lxflyer wrote: »
    That 17:35 service should be a 6 car train - perhaps a unit failed?

The 18:35 service is scheduled as a set with first class - they are virtually all reformed as 5 piece sets at this stage.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    From what I have seen the trains are at the platform early enough but being cleaned or having some kind of maintenance done, also then waterford trains seem to be used as a stand in for more important services when their allocated train suffers a failure, then the replacement for Waterford is usually only 3cars and boards and departs very late. Other trains don't suffer the same delays with boarding that Carlow/Waterford customers must endure.

I think Foggy Lad is right. The Waterford train is what's left over when the staff at Heuston finish assigning platforms and sets to other lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I later corrected myself and said that I expected that it would return to being a 6 piece train when the reformation process has been completed - that process is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

3 car 22 covering where a 4 car 29 is usually full this morning. Incompetence knows no bounds in Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

4 carriage dart yesterday evening at 5:20 from Pearse to Howth, couldn't get on it.

Another 4 carriage dart into work this morning. I hope Irish Rail are spending my 10% fare increase wisely. I'm certainly seeing nothing for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Decuc500 wrote: »
    4 carriage dart yesterday evening at 5:20 from Pearse to Howth, couldn't get on it.

Another 4 carriage dart into work this morning. I hope Irish Rail are spending my 10% fare increase wisely. I'm certainly seeing nothing for it.

Give services were suspended for part of the line yesterday stock would of easily being out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Pretty busy on the 18.05 to Connolly to Longford last night. Lots standing but at least there was a more genuine reason than usual in that an earlier train due from Pearse was delayed in the bad weather and some people came across from platform 7.

It was announced (almost inaudibly) that the delayed train all stations to Maynooth and then on to Longford was arriving shortly and a few people left our train before departure.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Give services were suspended for part of the line yesterday stock would of easily being out of position.

And that's the paying customers problem?

Yes, I think it was a 15 minutes delayed dart. Frankly I could care less about excuses at this stage. All I know is the platform was jammed and a short, cost saving train came along.

LEIN wrote: »
    And that's the paying customers problem?

That's like saying it was ESB's fault that 260,000 homes were without power yesterday, for a mod you should have more sense than posting stupid comments like the above. It's not as if they set out to damage the wires and knock a tree onto them a little lather.
    Yes, I think it was a 15 minutes delayed dart. Frankly I could care less about excuses at this stage. All I know is the platform was jammed and a short, cost saving train came along.

Why not move to other transport if its such a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Decuc500 wrote: »

I was on the "17:20" to Howth. This was a late running DART which usually runs 9 minutes behind another DART.

I boarded in Clontarf, it was very busy, but I had no issue in getting on. I was glad of the train as the conditions at the time were pretty atrocious at the time and IE were doing their best.

Sometimes people don't get on because they don't like being crammed in and there is often another one along soon.

I remember pre 8 car days. Now they were jam packed trains. I have not seen crowding like that since the shorter trains were introduced.

This being the attitude that's bringing CIE right on track to liquidation pretty damn soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I've just had a vision of Harrison Ford starring in a movie about 'Irish Rail' and the closing line is 'Get off of my train...................'

The idea that we should stop using the train altogether rather than campaign / request / seek / demand a better service is not helpful. We pay for a service and expect to get it and if we dont or are unhappy with it we are entitled to voice our disapproval. Walking away is never the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

why should he? he's paying for a service he's entitled to expect the highest standard, just like people on the rosslare and sligo lines, their entitled to ICRS at all times and not to have to put up with horid commuter stock ever, sure, were not going to get the standard were entitled to, but i'm not going to please IE and stop traveling, we the people of wexford and wicklow will one day get the rail service were entitled to once IE see were not going away

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

MYOB wrote: »
    This being the attitude that's bringing CIE right on track to liquidation pretty damn soon.

Quiet the opposite and they are trying to keep as many services as possible. They are not doing it for fun or to deliberately irritate passengers, they have no choice.
    why should he? he's paying for a service he's entitled to expect the highest standard, just like people on the rosslare and sligo lines, their entitled to ICRS at all times and not to have to put up with horid commuter stock ever, sure, were not going to get the standard were entitled to, but i'm not going to please IE and stop traveling, we the people of wexford and wicklow will one day get the rail service were entitled to once IE see were not going away

No saying he should but he shouldn't be moaning about a commuter services which are heavily loaded at peak times. He is getting a service, nowhere does it say every commuter gets a seat on-board and nobody will be standing. Given yesterdays operating conditions stock was all out of sink across the network nobody could of stopped this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

I did, I get the bus now and moved my Taxsaver ticket over. What kind of a strategy is that for Irish Rail?

Quiet the opposite and they are trying to keep as many services as possible. They are not doing it for fun or to deliberately irritate passengers, they have no choice.

In this case, they're causing people to abandon the services they are running due to insufficient capacity being provided. Pushing your remaining paying customers away is exactly the way to go bust - not the opposite as you somehow seem to believe.

If CIE are still in existance for the 30th anniversary of Irish Rail's formation (February 2017) I'd be astounded.

I've just had a vision of Harrison Ford starring in a movie about 'Irish Rail' and the closing line is 'Get off of my train...................'

The idea that we should stop using the train altogether rather than campaign / request / seek / demand a better service is not helpful. We pay for a service and expect to get it and if we dont or are unhappy with it we are entitled to voice our disapproval. Walking away is never the only option.
    in my opinion walking away is the wrong answer as it gives ammunition to those who seek the destruction of the railways, so many communities have had their railways destroyed by CIE and the government, lets not allow more to be destroyed, lets stand and fight whatever way we can to improve the peoples railway

In this case, they're causing people to abandon the services they are running due to insufficient capacity being provided. Pushing your remaining paying customers away is exactly the way to go bust - not the opposite as you somehow seem to believe.

If CIE are still in existance for the 30th anniversary of Irish Rail's formation (February 2017) I'd be astounded.

But provide data to suggest passengers are being pushed away???

If it costs more to operate than the numbers traveling it is good to push away a few passengers as costs are being covered however number going mush be very low as people keep posting DART's are pack out and full leaving the platforms every evening.

As for the 30th anniversary, would prefer all 3 companies split TBH,
    in my opinion walking away is the wrong answer as it gives ammunition to those who seek the destruction of the railways, so many communities have had their railways destroyed by CIE and the government, lets not allow more to be destroyed, lets stand and fight whatever way we can to improve the peoples railway

Staying and putting up with it is win win for the company and in the long run all the passengers.

The bus doesn't suit me as it leaves me on the other side of the city.

So I can't be frustrated and vent on Boards.ie? Whatever is this site for?!

Seriously, I've e-mailed and tweeted Irish Rail and got the stock responses. I'll be talking to my local reps when they come calling next. Nothing will be done.

I've no problem with overcrowding due to large numbers of people using the service. I do have a problem with artificially creating overcrowding, increasing the fares and then telling people to suck it up as every other rail network in large cities is crowded in rush hour.

It's just frustrating is all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

That's like saying it was ESB's fault that 260,000 homes were without power yesterday, for a mod you should have more sense than posting stupid comments like the above. It's not as if they set out to damage the wires and knock a tree onto them a little lather.

Comparing train line stock location to the 100's of faults and and the very challenging conditions that the ESB had!?

........... and my comments are silly don't make me laugh pal.

What are you voting in the upcoming ballot?

LEIN wrote: »
    Comparing train line stock location to the 100's of faults and and the very challenging conditions that the ESB had!?

........... and my comments are silly don't make me laugh pal.

What are you voting in the upcoming ballot?

If the overhead wires were damaged like the ESB wires what's the difference, trains were out of schedule as a result of the closure. Hopefully the OP might post his experience this evening.

as for voting in the upcoming ballot, I have never and will never work for CIE, quiet happy in my current job which is great and very secure. If I was an employee I would accept the cuts as if you don't say bye bye to jobs and more however I think the vote will be very tight but the cuts will be accepted very marginally.

But provide data to suggest passengers are being pushed away???

You were the one suggesting someone should use alternative transport (and then denying that it'll damge the company) ffs!

You were the one suggesting someone should use alternative transport (and then denying that it'll damge the company) ffs!

Yes a "Suggestion", since when is a suggestion a fact and you will always lose and gain new passengers.

If operating costs of a 8 coach DART are well above the revenue coming in then loosing some passengers and moving to a 4 or 6 coach DART benefits the operating costs. Clearly passengers are not deserting the service.

Yes a "Suggestion", since when is a suggestion a fact and you will always lose and gain new passengers.

Where was it presented as a fact? You suggested it then ran with it as if someone else had stated it.
    If operating costs of a 8 coach DART are well above the revenue coming in then loosing some passengers and moving to a 4 or 6 coach DART benefits the operating costs.

In that case, all subsidy provided to CIE for the purposes of providing public transport needs to be stripped immediately, as they're not doing so.
    Clearly passengers are not deserting the service.

We'll see when passenger figures come out.

The attempts to shield CIE from the criticism they so, so heavily deserve in this case on here is astounding.

Capacity adjustments were announced solely as a case of off-peak right-sizing - something they have failed woefully at doing. Undersized and unsuitable stock goes around at both peaks whereas full-length empty trains still often shuttle around all evening.

Where was it presented as a fact? You suggested it then ran with it as if someone else had stated it.

did no such thing, just suggested if the OP is so sick of the service why is he still on it. You are the one who turned it around against my original point.
    In that case, all subsidy provided to CIE for the purposes of providing public transport needs to be stripped immediately, as they're not doing so.

The government have being cutting it every year and IE are now starting to cut services as a result. The government can't have it both ways, unless they want to pay for it.
    The attempts to shield CIE from the criticism they so, so heavily deserve in this case on here is astounding.

Not shielding them but looking at it form all sides and not just the way you and others are just because you are so anti CIE and can't get past that part.
    We'll see when passenger figures come out.

Until then nobody can suggest otherwise. However I can't see it going down well here if they were to of being an increase in numbers last year.

d
    Until then nobody can suggest otherwise. However I can't see it going down well here if they were to of being an increase in numbers last year.

If there's any increase at all I'll be surprised, if there's an increase over the increase in employment in the GDA in the same time period I'll be astounded.

As goes being "anti CIE" - I'm anti any organisation that receives large amounts of public funding while being completely incompetent. CIE aren't alone in that, but they certainly make their incompetence clear. Frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

What funding?

If it costs more to operate than the numbers traveling it is good to push away a few passengers as costs are being covered
    its never good to push away a few passengers, a few can become a lot as they spread the word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Its dog eat dog out there so spreading the word will not work. Whats not good for you may be good for someone else and they wont change just because someone wants to spread " The word".

Advertisement