Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The Swapper is coming out on PS4 soon. Happy about that. Probably a cross buy with PS3 and Vita.

After making a big deal about all the original shows that Microsoft were going to create they've decided to put a stop to them all bar the Halo series and a few gaming documentaries. The plan for Xbox Originals was for it to compete with the likes of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon but it seems that that plan is no more.

Here's the internal mmeo that Phil Spencer sent out to employees earlier today.

I hope you have had a chance to read today’s mails from Satya. I wanted to take a moment to share a few thoughts on what this means for our team and some of the changes we are making as a result.

In last week’s mail outlining some of the steps towards creating the culture and organization to bring our ambitions to life, Satya called out the strategic importance of Xbox as a strong consumer brand, a creative center for gaming and a leader in bold innovation. Every member of Team Xbox should be incredibly proud of the impact and reach your work has within the walls of Microsoft, with our developer community and most importantly, with consumers.

Microsoft is the productivity and platform company for a mobile-first and cloud-first world, and games are the single biggest digital life category in a mobile-first world. Success in this category, by growing a robust Xbox business, brings additional value to Microsoft. I have stated this before, but for Xbox to be successful, we must remain committed to being a consumer-driven organization with the mission of meeting the high expectations of a passionate fan base, to create the best games and to drive technical innovation.

As part of the planned reduction to our overall workforce announced today and in light of our organization’s mission, we plan to streamline a handful of portfolio and engineering development efforts across Xbox. One such plan is that, in the coming months, we expect to close Xbox Entertainment Studios. I would like to take this opportunity to recognize the accomplishments from the entire team in XES. They have built an impressive slate of original programming and pioneered interactive entertainment on Xbox, such as the innovative reality series ‘Every Street United’ that succeeded in uniting audiences around the globe during the recent World Cup. I am pleased that Nancy, Jordan and members of the XES team remain committed to new, original programming already in production like the upcoming documentary series ‘Signal to Noise’ whose first installment takes on the rise and fall of gaming icon Atari and of course, the upcoming game franchise series ‘Halo: Nightfall,’ and the ‘Halo’ Television series which will continue as planned with 343 Industries. Xbox will continue to support and deliver interactive sports content like ‘NFL on Xbox,’ and we will continue to enhance our entertainment offering on console by innovating the TV experience through the monthly console updates. Additionally, our app partnerships with world-class content providers bringing entertainment, sports and TV content to Xbox customers around the world are not impacted by this organizational change in any way and remain an important component of our Xbox strategy.

Change is never easy, but I believe the changes announced today help us better align with our long-term goals. We have an incredible opportunity ahead of us to define what the next generation of gaming looks like for the growing Xbox community. I have a great deal of confidence in this team and know that with clarity of focus on our mission and our customers we can accomplish great things together. We already have.

Thank you again for all you do for Xbox.

Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

If anything I'd consider that a step in the right direction, focus more on games. Don't think many people would be upset.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    If anything I'd consider that a step in the right direction, focus more on games. Don't think many people would be upset.

I've no problem with them focusing on games but much like how the kinect is no longer integral to the One, this just feels like another step back, especially when they keep trying to sell the One as the centerpiece to your living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I've no problem with them focusing on games but much like how the kinect is no longer integral to the One, this just feels like another step back, especially when they keep trying to sell the One as the centerpiece to your living room.

So Xbox one is droping everything that made it stand out from competition and now it is just a console with inferior ports and a few MS exclusives.

In a way every single next gen console had something to offer. I am happy now that Wii U did not droped Tablet controller now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

When they called it the all in one entertainment system I knew straight off it would be mainly America that would have it.
    It's certainly not all in one for anyone outside USA imo,
    In this case I don't see this as a step back, its sort of a 1step back 2steps forward type of move (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Not at all. Its yet another great step forward. More focus on games and less on media. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

While i wouldnt call it a 'great' step forward,i know if i owned an Xbox One id be happier to see the focus more on games for the moment.

They could always bring it back also if they get the install base numbers up to where it would be more feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

June 2014 NPD: PS4 still outsells Xbox One despite Microsoft’s price cut
    Software
    1. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
    2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
    3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
    4. UFC (PS4, Xbox One)
    5. FIFA 14 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
    6. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
    7. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
    8. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
    9. Tomodachi Life (3DS)
    10. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
    Hardware:

PS4: #1 best selling
    3DS: 150K (up 55% over May, was 225K last June)
    Wii U: ~140K (up 233% over last June)

Watch Dogs selling more on the 360 than on XB1 is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,921 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Keno wrote: »
    June 2014 NPD: PS4 still outsells Xbox One despite Microsoft’s price cut

Not really, slow adoption due to lack of backward compatibility. So people are less inclined to buy the XB1 and are continuing to buy for their 360 collections

• Advertisement

Keno wrote: »
    Overheal wrote: »
    Not really, slow adoption due to lack of backward compatibility. So people are less inclined to buy the XB1 and are continuing to buy for their 360 collections

Agreed, not surprising at all.

Slow adoption rate is a relatively small factor. Even with a huge adoption rate there would still be more Watch Dogs copies sold on the Xbox 360. The huge factor is that the Xbox 360 has been on the market for almost 9 years and has sold 78.2 million units sold worldwide as of September 2013 which means there are way more customers to make a Watch Dogs purchase on the Xbox 360.

This is the reason why many game studios are still making multiplatform ports for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Well I found it surprising because Watch Dogs sold more on the XBO in May. With relatively few big games out for current gen I was expecting it to continue.

It also sold most on the PS4, which would go against the slow adoption rate/much larger install base on last gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Great result for wii-u. Hope it continues, shows that MS is no match for PS

Sushi was great btw
    PlayStation 4 was #1 in sales for the sixth consecutive month and remains the cumulative leader for next generation game consoles.
    PlayStation 4 was #1 for next generation software sales, with PS4 leading two of the top three titles.
    PlayStation was #1 in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3) for the month.
    The biggest next generation software titles, including Watch_Dogs, UFC and FIFA 14, were #1 on PlayStation 4, further demonstrating that PS4 is the platform of choice for blockbuster games.

RasTa wrote: »
    Great result for wii-u. Hope it continues, shows that MS is no match for PS

Sushi was great btw

How many more PS4 units were sold compared to the Xbox One?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

How many more PS4 units were sold compared to the Xbox One?

Not published yet, which is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was kind of expected for all consoles to get a bit of a bump in sales following E3 anyway. Probably dip again for the next few months before ramping up for Christmas.

Found on the Neogaf forum and Reddit. Not sure of accuracy, will try and find a proper link:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121546636&postcount=2023

Hardware Monthly Sales

PS4 ~ 269k
    XB1 ~ 197k
    3DS ~ 152k
    Wii U ~ 140k
    360 ~ 62k
    PS3 ~ 42k
    Wii ~ 19k
    PSV ~ 15k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Again who knows if those numbers are any where near real, but considering there's not much out to really push one console over the other now it is rather bad on MS part.

The only big difference is the constant negative reporting on performance, a cascading effect from friends buying it (the more people you know buying 1 the more who'll buy that console), and for a time the price, I can't check know but how long has the kinectless bundle been out.

Varik wrote: »
    Again who knows if those numbers are any where near real, but considering there's not much out to really push one console over the other now it is rather bad on MS part.

The only big difference is the constant negative reporting on performance, a cascading effect from friends buying it (the more people you know buying 1 the more who'll buy that console), and for a time the price, I can't check know but how long has the kinectless bundle been out.

Well that's what some people have been saying. MS claimed XB1 sales doubled from May's sales, but I'd say a lot of people held off on buying an XB1 in May in order to wait for the Kinectless version, which was released in early June. I'd say MS will start to close the gap a bit. The Kinectless version will likely continue to get more people into XB1, which might have the knock-on effect of their friends getting one etc. I just don't think either MS or Sony revealed anything at E3 to make anyone feel a rush to buy one of the consoles until closer to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Penn wrote: »
    Well that's what some people have been saying. MS claimed XB1 sales doubled from May's sales, but I'd say a lot of people held off on buying an XB1 in May in order to wait for the Kinectless version, which was released in early June. I'd say MS will start to close the gap a bit. The Kinectless version will likely continue to get more people into XB1, which might have the knock-on effect of their friends getting one etc. I just don't think either MS or Sony revealed anything at E3 to make anyone feel a rush to buy one of the consoles until closer to Christmas.

To close the gap they have to sell more xb1's than Sony sell ps4's.. I don't see that happening.

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    To close the gap they have to sell more xb1's than Sony sell ps4's.. I don't see that happening.

Sorry, I meant close the gap in terms of monthly sales, not overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Found on the Neogaf forum and Reddit. Not sure of accuracy, will try and find a proper link:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121546636&postcount=2023

Hardware Monthly Sales

PS4 ~ 269k
    XB1 ~ 197k

If they are it would indicate a slowing of PS4 sales or MS starting to catch up and grow their sales numbers given that this would be PS4 outselling MS 1.3:1 per unit rather than the usual 2:1 or whatever.

Hopefully, MS still stay lagging behind in sales

miju wrote: »
    If they are it would indicate a slowing of PS4 sales or MS starting to catch up and grow their sales numbers given that this would be PS4 outselling MS 1.3:1 per unit rather than the usual 2:1 or whatever.

Aye the new cheaper XB1 definitely would have helped boost sales, and in fairness was a good move by MS.

It'll be interesting to see if The Last of Us boosts PS4 sales. Other than that, the Oct-Dec sales will be the only real indicator of how things are going for both.

miju wrote: »

NQHKSVE.gif[\img]

Grayditch wrote: »
    NQHKSVE.gif[\img]

I think he means in terms of MS would then offer better deals and features in order to try and catch up to Sony. Likewise, if MS did start closing the gap, Sony might start offering the same sort of stuff in order to stay ahead.

Competition is healthy for both. Neither side should be allowed to get complacent.

Ah I know, it was tongue in cheek.

But I'd still be really hard pushed to truly believe it :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I think he means in terms of MS would then offer better deals and features in order to try and catch up to Sony. Likewise, if MS did start closing the gap, Sony might start offering the same sort of stuff in order to stay ahead.

Competition is healthy for both. Neither side should be allowed to get complacent.

Yep pretty much it exactly really, it's great as a consumer to see MS chasing around doing as much as possible to keep their install base happy and long may it last :pac:
    Grayditch wrote: »
    But I'd still be really hard pushed to truly believe it :pac:

As you probably guessed I'm entirely happy with my XB1 and anything that boosts it is great, even small things like being able to test dashboard updates early if i so wish is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Prior to the dropping of kinect you could get the kinect bundle with titanfall included for the same price as a PS4, which was a better deal than the current one, and it didn't push it ahead.

I don't think the decreased price will push it ahead until Christmas time when the exclusives are out. TLOU will keep the PS4 ahead in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I see sony are at there lying/ being smug state again with andrew house coming out and making alot of stupid comments recently like how they are struggling to keep in the demand for ps vita. really andrew ? judging by those NPD numbers says you are full of ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I see sony are at there lying/ being smug state again with andrew house coming out and making alot of stupid comments recently like how they are struggling to keep in the demand for ps vita. really andrew ? judging by those NPD numbers says you are full of ****

If you only make a small number of them, they'll sell out a lot easier.

The vita uptake has improved over the last few months with remote play and the PS+ games, that's what pushed me to get one, and the uptake is better than they expected I guess. Still low, but not as low as they thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement