Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

San Sebastián you say?! What’s the lowdown; flights, entry, etc.

Your training is going nicely. Sometimes I find during spells of high enough mileage that it seems the gains are small. But, if you were to jump into a race or tough session, you’ll find it has definitely stood to you. Keep the faith.
    So, San Sebastián?

The lowdown is all here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101816473&postcount=2036

Probably not going now - bloody teenagers and 18th B'days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

The lowdown is all here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101816473&postcount=2036

Probably not going now - bloody teenagers and 18th B'days :)

'I jumped into DCM at 4m and done 22.5m with the final 13.1 at MP.'

Outrageous behaviour.

Tuesday 9th: This was meant to be day 2 of a 16 week block for Berlin!

I had a pilates class at lunchtime and followed it up with close to 7 miles of easy running with 6x20sec strides.

Strides were progressive.

6.9m at 8.15

Delighted to see the pop up races test event going so well - here's hoping it leads to something!

Wednesday: My 'self made plan' had a 5m tempo but I was unsure if I should take a down week this week or do the tempo.

Decided to go ahead and see how I felt - as per usual, I felt fine once I started :)

I had done a 2.5m run down to CK Gate and started the tempo there - didn't press 'lap' on the watch though.
    I kept the 1st 2 miles conservative enough - keeping to the trails parallel to the North Road.
    1st 2 miles were 6.45'ish (difficult to tell by not hitting lap) and a definite 6.30.

I can remember on the 3rd tempo mile thinking that this felt so easy - like a jog almost. I was going to go back up Chesterfield, but decided to test myself a bit going up Military Hill & The Upper Glen Road.
    Came to a finish near the pond in the Furry Glen.

Quite happy with that - not a full tempo paced run, but a good workout at this stage. (6.45/6.30/6.20/6.11/6.09)

10.5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Probably not going now - bloody teenagers and 18th B'days

I'm struggling to think of any 18 year old that wouldn't fancy a holiday in San Seb........... All paid for by Dad of course....

I'm struggling to think of any 18 year old that wouldn't fancy a holiday in San Seb........... All paid for by Dad of course....

the thoughts of paying a few grand for them to witness me cramping up and punching the fukk outta my legs at mile 22!!!

• Advertisement

the thoughts of paying a few grand for them to witness me cramping up and punching the fukk outta my legs at mile 22!!!

But imagine the race report - tears and hugs etc etc.

Worth it.

But imagine the race report - tears and hugs etc etc.

Worth it.

Barry would still manage to beat it by saving a dog from a fire or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hey low blow that.......

That man will look for any excuse to take a breather!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

(Pat Kenny Voice)
    Cheap shot! Cheap shot! Cheap shot!

• Advertisement

Thursday: Trying to find the right structure/mileage to fit in Pilates and not be exhausted.

Done 4m in the rain at an easy pace prior to Thursdays Pilates.
    Pilates was tough - so glad I only done 4m.

4.1m @ 8.23 pace.

Friday: In the office for the 1st time since early March, Thumping headache all day - 1st time in years getting a headache. So didn't run on Friday.

1st rest day in 35 days or so.
    Also brought the dog to be neutered, poor fella.
    Also hooked up with Wilson's Improvement Performance - 'intrigued' is a word I've used a lot concerning their testing/training - done a lot of investigation on them with folks on here, people who left, and also some others I know. Will see how it goes.

I'll be careful posting too much info though - as with any paid coaching set up - sharing info is not the done thing.

BTW - the dog was home by 3pm. Not a bollick to his name - but in good form :)

Saturday: Session (my own design for now) 4x3mins at >5k + 3x5mins TH

Drove to the Park for this one - Went out with the intention of doing 6x3mins at marginally faster than 5k pace.
    I done 2m WU and then a mile of strides & drills. Yes........Drills...the new me.

Done the 3min reps on the Furze Road - jaysus it was tough - the humidity was terrible and I was sweating buckets - worse than OONegative.

After 4 of them I decided that I could do no more at that pace - so took a 3 min shuffle while deciding to do a 15min tempo or 3x5mins at TH.
    A quick chat with Applegirl (nice to finally meet) and I setoff on the 3x5mins.

This pace felt much better in the humidity - much more in control.
    Only a short 1m cool down to the car.

4x3mins (Pace: 5.32/ 5.29/ 5.35 / 5.36)
    3x5mins (Pace: 5.56/5.55/ 5.53)

9.2miles total.

Sunday: I met up with 2 lads from Dunboyne that I know and a pretty good triathlete (Kona) - The 2 lads are in Wilsons and were giving me the lowdown.

They were both running to a low HR - so I had to keep the pace low - but enjoyed it.

Something about running a long run at that pace when you aren't used to it - my legs were sore afterwards.

My HR was also higher than I thought - but I guess that was the dinner party and late night from the previous night :)

15m at 8.31 (130 HR)

53m for the week (2 sessions and 2 Pilates classes - 1 day off and 1 day with a 4m run)

Wilson’s?? That is/was a fancy boarding school in Westmeath when I was growing up, hardly same thing?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Wilson’s?? That is/was a fancy boarding school in Westmeath when I was growing up, hardly same thing?

Check out facebook for Wilsons Improving Performance - your clubmate Michael C is with them and flying recently.

Saturday: Session (my own design for now) 4x3mins at >5k + 3x5mins TH

Curious as to the thought process behind speed followed by threshold and not the other way around? Not suggesting either is right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck with the Wilsons. Was impressed with the testing setup they start runners off with (have seen one of the reports).

What's 130HR in terms of HRR or max?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

It will be interesting to follow your progress. Good luck with Wilsons. Some very good runners using WIP

Curious as to the thought process behind speed followed by threshold and not the other way around? Not suggesting either is right or wrong.

I intended to do 6 x3mins - but found it tough after 4 reps due to humidity - Ran the 5min reps 20secs slower than the 3 min rep - (5.55 v 5.35) - but still a great workout with 27mins of quality.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Good luck with the Wilsons. Was impressed with the testing setup they start runners off with (have seen one of the reports).

What's 130HR in terms of HRR or max?

Not too sure yet - I hope the lab testing (july) gives me that.

My reference for this is doing many midweek runs at 8.10 - 8.20 pace at a HR of lower than 120.
    Sun mornings run was 8.30 average at HR of 130. (Late night, early morning, too much wine and tiredness after the Sat session I guess)

Bless me Father............

Busy couple of weeks.......I'm still here.

Monday 15th to Sunday 21st.

This was a 'Test Week' - where I carried out a series of tests with strange names (Blake / Kosmin) - They all feed into the programme.

(1) We had a 4x1min which was the singular hardest workout I've ever done. Seriously.
    The recoveries were 3min/2 min/1 min and the pace was all out.

The 1 min recovery prior to the last 1min rep was filled with pure dread of what was to come.
    The final 1min rep, went fine for 10-15 seconds, then it was treacle for the reminder.

The last 45 secs felt so much longer - I felt I was going backwards, but was still moving at 5min/mile.

My calf cramped on the jog home.

(2) 15min run + 400m all out.
    The 15min was a 'distance' run - in that you measure your distance covered - this then translates into a rough V02 score (58.8) and also forms the basis for future sessions - Double that distance in 31.30 and 3 x half that distance in 7.30.

I wasn't happy with how I felt on that run or on the distance covered, but my hamstrings were very fatigued from the all out 4x1min session

I had a 15min easy jog - then an all out 400m - 68 seconds - happy with that.

(3) 2x1min + 25m hops on both legs.
    This went ok on the 1st rep and 'meh' on the 2nd - again - the legs were tired.
    I thought my hops were good 18 in 25m - but coach said they were woeful - work to do.

During the week - we also had strength tests - push ups/Sit ups / Squat Thrusts - how many in 1 min each.

Done an easy run on Sunday 15 miles at 8 min/mile

Overall 56 miles for the week.

Monday 22nd: 70min easy pace - covered 8.6miles.

Tuesday 23rd:
    Session 3x(400/800/300) - covered these at a pretty quick pace - the slowest pace is 'mile pace' for the 800.
    Recoveries are increasing inbetween the reps and also increasing in between the sets - 5 & 10 mins between sets seems excessive - but you absolutely need it.

Calf cramped up on the jog home - again - same calf - same place.

10.3miles.

Wednesday: 90mins Zone 1 (low Z2) - 11 miles / 8.14 pace - 124 HR - sweated buckets.

Thursday: Session 2x2 miles. - This is a session that you can do 2,3 or 4 reps of 2 miles, based on how you feel etc.
    Due to heat & humidity - I was aiming for 2x2miles - I also want to ease into the plan as its very tough on the body.

Every warm up has 2mile run - then specific drills and progressive strides - over 3m in total.

1st set of 2 miles - Set off up the Furze Road - bit of a head wind - checked watch - 5.35 pace........$hit - Target is 5:50.
    Mile 1 beeped at 5.41 and I was willing mile 2 to finish - which I did at 6.01 pace :(

I took 2mins recovery rather than the 'advised' 1 min and set off again.
    Legs felt fried.
    I was working hard and I could feel the calf twitching again - I wa going at 6 min/mile pace and knew it was too tough.

The calf started to spasm as I came to the 1 mile mark and I knew that was it - no point flogging the body any more.

So 2Mile + 1mile: Not a big workout, but with the heat, I felt wiped all day after it.

Had a chat with the coach regarding the cramping - I can feel a knot where I cramp - and I'm on a course of foam rolling & stretching with a dose of easy running.
    The Saturday session is canned.

He also said we'd focus on 2 sessions per week (not 3) until my very old body gets used to the load.
    Typically there is 1 speed session per week - but with my testing the previous week having 3 separate 'all out' sessions, plus the Tuesday session - we reckon the calf is just overloaded with something it is not used to.

With Berlin formally cancelled - I deferred my entry to 2021 and looked for a refund from San Sebastian.
    I'm 'all in' focusing on the shorter and 'very' faster stuff for the next few months.

Your a bit like Daniel Levy, you change plan as quickly as he sacks managers. Few weeks back your physio recommended no speed stuff but your knocking sessions out Eluid would be proud of lately? Take it the hamstring is up to it?

Best of luck with the new coach, has worked wonders on others.

OOnegative wrote:
    Your a bit like Daniel Levy, you change plan as quickly as he sacks managers. Few weeks back your physio recommended no speed stuff but your knocking sessions out Eluid would be proud of lately? Take it the hamstring is up to it?

Don't take this the wrong way A but I was thinking exactly the same thing as I was reading through the update. This is a far cry from the lad who didn't run the mile TT because physio recommended not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Interesting stuff, A - can't argue with the above but we are only old once! You're not that ancient yet, but on that note, is there any sense that the regime takes age into account from the get-go, in terms of specific recovery for instance.

Any use of HR at all in this setup? Were you taking HR on any of these tests?

Good luck with it all and mind the calf.

OOnegative wrote: »

Best of luck with the new coach, has worked wonders on others.
    Don't take this the wrong way A but I was thinking exactly the same thing as I was reading through the update. This is a far cry from the lad who didn't run the mile TT because physio recommended not to.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Interesting stuff, A - can't argue with the above but we are only old once! You're not that ancient yet, but on that note, is there any sense that the regime takes age into account from the get-go, in terms of specific recovery for instance.

Any use of HR at all in this setup? Were you taking HR on any of these tests?

Good luck with it all and mind the calf.

In fairness, she said no speed for a couple of weeks - and I listened to her.
    My hammy is fine - no bother. Success with no speed work. Box ticked :p

The calf is a knot as opposed to a tear/strain - it cramped a couple of times due to overload and the timing of the speedwork with the tests (unusual for him too).

Speaking to the coach - he's advised me on the calf - can the Sat session and just run easy.

The plan going forward is interesting - Tues speed session only - Thursday & Sat making up other sessions. Very very slow on the other days.
    Zone 1 stuff.

Murph: I've a Lab Test in July, I'll get the HR done then - until then, its all guesstimate.
    The speed stuff isn't done on HR - it wouldn't be long enough to judge - goal time per rep is whats used.

It will certainly be tough - but its what I want right now - different stimulus than I'm used too. He has so many 40's&50's athlethes with great success - theres an element of risk with the Speed. But I need to mind the body better.

I dont want to be looking back in 3-4 years time thinking 'what if' - I want to be looking back saying I tried it and either 'it worked' or 'It sucked, so I started a new plan'.

And Barry - I've started & stopped far more plans this year than Levy has sacked managers in 20 years :P

When it came down to it - A 14 second improvement over 5k from 2014 to 2020 just isn't cutting the mustard.

A 7 min improvement in the Marathon from 2014 to 2019 - isn't exactly glorious either.

My plans are primarily the same over the last while - you cant do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I admire your guts & mindset. I agree with you on not wanting to look back & there be lots of what ifs...

Very best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Fair play for trying out something new - it looks like a fascinating training set-up.

As long as you don't get injured (a necessary caveat for the elder sportsman!), the very least it'll do is provide some new ideas for you to adapt. And even if you decide it's not for you in the long run, the big change from previous approaches should introduce a very different training stimulus, which can only be of benefit.

All changes to training philosophy are a bit of a suck-and-see experiment - you're never guaranteed a result but you won't know until you try! Hope it works out for you.

Friday: 26th: Rest day - zero running

Saturday: nice run down to the Park - kept to the trails for most of it, despite the rain, really loved this run.
    9.3 miles at 8.09 pace

Sunday: Met up with a few like minded athletes for the long Sunday run - it certainly takes some getting used to, running these as slow as we have to to keep a low HR.
    Gets a bit difficult with a few people around - 4 of us today - all with slightly different HR's - but it worked out ok.

Enjoyable banter on a route I've not ran before - quite country roads out to Kilbride.

15.3 miles at 8.25 pace (124 HR)

64 miles for the week - highest mileage since Feb while training for Manchester - not bad going with a rest day.
    No issues with the calf cramp since Thursday.
    Still foam rolling the knot - but its all good.

Monday: Had company again for this run - probably the 1st time I've ran with someone 2 days in a row since.......well....ever.
    Perks of having people around in the same coaching group.

70 mins easy (8.75 miles at 8min/miles - 126 HR

Anniversary on Monday - 24 years Married........Imagine.............
    - some creamy pints of Guinness for the 1st time in months to celebrate - went down well!

Tuesday: 6x300 in 54 off 2mins.

Session was for 10-12 reps - but with me racing Mondello on Thursday, it was reduced.
    Reps varied from 52 to 54 - happy with the 2 mins by the 6th rep.

I had done Pilates on Tuesday lunch time - so was interested to see how the body held up for the light session - no issues.
    & No issues from the pints on Monday night :)

7.5m total

245miles for June - happy with that number.

Am taking a Strava break for July - just to see if I can.
    Its a bit obsessive at times.
    I ran the additional miles on Sunday just to ensure I got more than 62 - which was my highest since Feb - I probably should've only ran 10-13 miles with the Race on Thursday. If I wasn't on Strava - that wouldn't have entered my head.

Also want to go all in on this programme - 100% - and the coach would rather we didn't share - I can see his viewpoint.

Wednesday 1st July: Easy 3miles with strides & drills

Thursday 2nd July: Mondello 5k

Got to Mondello with an hour to spare, there was a severe lack of cars around, so I figured the numbers racing would be sparse.
    On my warm up, I decided to run a lap of the route (its a 2 lapped route) and after a few mins I found myself running sub 7 min miles and thinking I was doing 9 min miles. Love when that happens. It was noticeable however, that the wind was quite strong on other parts of the route, despite there being no wind anywhere in the country!

Strides & drills done - we lined up, a quick count I got 20+ people - maybe 25? I thought people would be breaking the door down to race again.

We were set off and 1 young lad just sped off at breakneck speed (he'd win in 15.20) - there was a group of 7-8 ahead of me as I tried to run at 5k pace initially, rather than mile pace that usually happens at the start of races.
    About half mile in I take over 1 of the 2 groups ahead - leaving me in 5th - with the 4 ahead by a good margin.

On certain stretches, you can notice the wind and the drags – but I’m feeling very good. I’m trying to keep the pace slower than 5.30/mile – my initial plan was for a 5.40 1st mile.
    Mile 1 beeps in 5.30 �� – and I’m motoring. Just keep the head I tell myself. Its hard to judge where I am in the race, or if it even is a race as at times the group in front disappear around a bend. It has a TT feel to it at times.

As we round the bend to the straight towards the finish line – marking the end of lap 1 – I can see the lads in front – we pass the gantry to a few cheers and I count 15 secs or so to the next cheers. OK – a decent lead on 6th at halfway. Lets keep it going.

I turn the 1st bend again and am immediately thinking to myself – ‘Straight’ or ‘right turn’ – my eyeline catches a group just ahead and a cone – I turn right.

I’m thinking to myself – these folks are last in the race – but they cant be that far back – somethings not right? Maybe they turned up late??
    I keep going – pace is about 5.35/mile – following the cones – I’m approaching 2 miles and do a systems check – I’m feeling quite good. I’m working out how the last mile needs to go for me to PB.
    If I do a 5.45 last mile and then 35 secs for the 0.1 – that’s close to a PB.

Then it happens – I turn a corner and see the finish gantry about 300-400m ahead. I’m 2 miles into the race.
    I should have went ‘straight’ and not turned right. “Ahh $hit” I shout. – I briefly consider turning back around and finding the course, but that would have been ridiculous on a car track – I couldn’t even find my way around on a marked course, what hope going the opposite way.

I walk to the finish line and have a chat with Dublin Runner, working at the race – trying to explain what happened.
    I watch the finishers soon after and realise that 2 others followed me going the wrong way – one girl didn’t appear in the results but ran 18.50 I think (after correcting herself) and another guy dropped out like me. $hit.

I do a warm down with Marc A – and find where I went wrong.
    We were instructed to ‘follow the cones’ and there was a cone indicating to go straight and NOT right – it was just unfortunate that my eyeline caught some others nearly finished lap 1 as I was starting lap 2.

Totally my fault and no blame on Pop Up Races.

2miles in 11.05 and feeling good too.
    Total or the day: 7.5 miles

Friday: Easy run – 5.6miles at 117 HR (8.27/mile)

Sat 4th July: Session: 60 mins at HM HR (163)

Just over 3 miles Warm up with strides and drills and then got started on this.

After a half mile or so, the HR still wasn’t at target, so I stupidly increase pace rather than wait for the HR to rise naturally.
    I run down to the PP and do laps of the Furze/OS triangle – keeping the HR screen on and not even thinking about pace. As the miles tick by, I realise that I’ve never done a session like this before – its quite likely to be a regression run (by pace) with each mile slower. But as I do these more and more, the distance ran at that HR should get further.

I finish the 60mins at 9.32 miles – I consider running an additional 0.7 for the Boards 10m TT, but I cop myself on fairly quickly (as I was b0ll!xed).
    2m cool down home and out for pints on Sat evening (again)

Sunday: Easy paced run – listening to A.Finns book about how he integrated himself into a Japanese Ekiden team – a good listen at a nice pace – keeping the HR fairly low.
    13m @8.18/128 HR – very windy today.

60 miles for the week.

Monday 6th: Easy 70mins to PP and back.

8.7 miles @ 8.25

Tuesday 7th: Big struggle to fit everything in today - my oldest girls 20th b'day.

Lunch time Pilates on Zoom - real good class.

3m warm up inc the progressive strides and drills.

Session: 10x400 in 78's off 45 seconds. (Normally this is 10-16 reps - I was on 10 to ease me into the program)

I totally underestimated this - especially the recovery - 45 seconds is over before it begins!

After the opening 4 were too fast (75/76's) - I was fading and hanging on.
    Really regretting doing the pilates class now.

Next 4 were a struggle 78's/79's
    The 9th rep was an 80 - legs were jelly, but recovered with a 78 on the last rep after I remembered to use my arms more.

Real tough session. Lashing rain didn't help!

with CD 8.4 miles

Nice meal in Sophies in the city - obligatory pics on the swings. No falls.

Wednesday: 90 mins easy - no drama, just tiredness!
    11 miles @ 8.13 pace (123 HR)

Thursday: Todays session was 3x1m (again - the option is there for 3-6 reps - 4mile pace (5.46) is the goal - off 1 min rec)

After a 3.25 WU (strides & Drills) I was straight into it.
    Rep 1: Chesterfield/Furze: 5.39
    Rep 2: Up OS Road, down the path parallel to C'field: 5.43
    Rep 3: Up Chesterfield to Whites Gate: 5.46

Happy with this - Never done mile reps at this pace before - not quite sure I could have done 1 more rep though!

8.22 miles

Home and straight into a Pilates class before being talked into going out for pints (& food) by wifey as she was heading away for a few days.

Friday: very easy 4 miles - 8.35 pace (120 HR)

Saturday: A session that I was very apprehensive about.
    Some time back, we done a set of field tests - one of these was a 15 min run - you measure the distance covered.
    This distance is used to set some future sessions.

I had to run double the distance in 31.30 - similar to converting a 5km time into a 10km time.
    So, my target was to cover 8.4k in 31.30 (6.02 pace)

A 3 mile warm up, drills & strides and I was ready to go.
    I set my watch up to show the distance going down and my estimated finish time. (a feature I've not used before - but very good for these type of sessions)

The 1st few miles were up C'Field and then a lap of the OS/Furze, before heading down the North Road (this was where my original 15 min effort was done). 1st 4 miles were 5.49/5.53/5.48/5.50 - so a bit faster than 6.02 - and I was feeling great for 3.5 of these miles.

Coming to the 5th mile, I knew I had the session bagged - I could run a 6.30 last mile and still hit the 31.30 target - but I get going.
    The negative voices came fast, and I was pushing them away - there was no way I was going to quit on this.

The 5th mile was never ending - I felt like I was doing a death march, so was pleasantly surprised when mile 5 beeped at 5.58.
    Just another 0.22 to go as I seen that through and then sat down for about 20 mins.

Probably one of my best solo runs/sessions. I cant believe I had a 29.20 5 mile in there.
    Given the sessions I had during the week, I really didn't think I'd run anything near that.

Very happy with that.
    5.23m in 30.46 (5.53 ave pace).

9.6m total

Sunday: Long run on my ownsome - 14 miles down to the PP and back.

8.11 pace (130 HR)

64 miles for the week
    3 good sessions
    2 good Pilates classes.

Wife was away for the weekend, so found myself with a few too many empty bottles.
    Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun with too much alcohol.
    Need to get a grip on that - no point in doing great training and then sabotaging it with the wrong recovery.

No updates in a while. Things are a bit manic - difficult to find time to update the log.

July 13th-19th: 53 miles

Sessions of note:

5x500 in 92secs (800m pace) off 2.30: By the last rep I was swimming in Lactate. Seems to be a reoccurring theme for Tuesdays!!
    Hit the targets for all reps.
    Lashing rain, so wearing the Adidas Solarboost for most of these sessions. Not a race shoe by any means.

4x2mins Hills off 3 mins. - Done this on the Khyber. Made it about 550m up (theres a mark at 500m). Pace was about 5.50's for them all.
    The jog down is done about 7.45 pace to get down in time!! These progress to 6 reps.

15 mins at 5k HR.
    Done this on the Furze/OS roads. I thought I'd feel a bit better doing this than I did.
    I was high in motivation from the previous weeks session (5.2m @5.53 pace) - so had high expectations for this.
    1st mile was a disaster - made the mistake of trying to hit 5k HR too early - had me running faster than 5k pace.
    I never clarified with the coach on the way to approach these (gradual build of HR is the way).

Was tempted to quit about 10 times into the 2nd mile and just sheer stubbornness seen me complete it.
    A bit disappointed with how I approached it and how I felt.

Mile 1: 5.37 / Mile 2: 5.45 / 0.6: 5.56

Sunday long run was cut to 7 miles due to 'testing' on Tuesday.

July 20th: 4m shake out.

July 21st: Testing in the Wilson Lab - a whole variety of things tested - my 1st time doing this, so was a bit apprehensive. BP was high as a result.

All went well - good indicators for me - Body fat at 8.7% - - My Iron level is middle of the road (for an athlete - top notch for a joe soap) - he advises a supplement. Lactate Max & Vo2 as expected and in line with 5k PB.

Probably ran about 5m on treadmill.

July 22nd: 10.5m (8.17 pace) - bit of a rush today, with GAA back on - its even more of a time crunch.

July 23rd: Kosmin 1500 - which is 4x1min at full pelt off 3min/2min/1min - you measure the distance ran.

Last time I done this I ran 1407m - this time was 1433m: so a decent improvement - my 3rd & 4th rep showed a lot more distance.
    Approached it slightly differently today - not full balls out on the 1st one - held a little back.

The dread for the last rep is unreal - you know that your legs are just going to cave after 100m or so.

rep1: 375m/4.29 pace
    rep2: 363m/4.36
    rep3: 360m/4.38
    rep4: 335m/4.55

8.26miles total (only 1.27 in the actual workout - inc recoveries!)

I'm enjoying the plan so far - you touch on a lot of the energy systems and after meeting the man on Tuesday and hearing about his exploits with Olympic & other major championships - its going to be a good journey.

Friday July 24th: Rest day - no running, but not much resting.

July 25th: 30mins at 10k HR over a hilly loop.
    Chose the GIR loop for this, planning it that I'd finish at the top of the Furry Glen.

The run itself went ok, I kept HR on the watch and ran to it - each mile reduced in pace and as the hills kicked in, the pace dropped right down to 6.45's.

Something not right with that - it was warm/humid out - but I should have been faster at 10k HR - hill or not.

4.8miles in the 30 mins - (6.17 ave pace)

11 miles total.

Sunday 26th July: 13miles at 8.23 pace - very tiring run - 130 HR.

Monday 27th: 70 mins easy - 8.2 miles - 125 HR

Tuesday 28th: mini session 10x200's in 39 seconds off 30 seconds.
    With a race on Friday, we had a 'light' session.

I suffered badly on these - found it difficult to hit the numbers, felt terrible.
    My stomach, felt like having the beginnings of an ulcer, very acidic and triggered by certain foods and also by stress - a lot going on around me and trying to flog a dead horse here.

7.2m total.

Wednesday: Reported my struggles back to the coach - advised a day off on Wednesday.

Thursday 30th: 3.7m with strides and drills.

Friday 31st August: 5000m Track Race - report to follow.

Total miles: 8.1m

Saturday 1st August: Rest day - Drove to Inchydoney for a few much needed days away with wifey.

Sunday 2nd August: 7.4miles on the treadmill in Inchydoney - roads are terrible for running on here - too narrow.
    Wasn't too pushed as needed the downtime.

Weekly mileage: 34.7m

Monthly Mileage: 238 miles for July.

Reading back over my log - a lot of references to 'busy times' 'manic' 'tiring' of late.

• Advertisement

31st July: 5000m Track Race: Leixlip.

I was looking forward to this for a few reasons - I felt in PB shape and knew that this was a good opportunity to register a good time.
    Gold medal: 16.59
    Silver medal: 17.10
    Bronze medal: 17.23

Either way, I knew it would be a track PB as it was my 1st 5000m - I also was super confident of bettering my road PB.
    Watched the earlier races and really got me in the mood - some good performances from some folks on here.

I had warmed up and done drills etc - thankfully by the time our race came around,the sun had gone in, but it was still very humid.

Lined up and was set off - 12.5 laps to go - a good number of people in our race.

The 1st 200m was in 38secs!! - I recalled the 10x200's from Tuesday when I struggled!!
    After 1 lap, someone mentioned that the pacer was running 16.40 pace.

The next few laps went 1.25 / 1.21 / 1.21 / 1.21 / 1.22
    My watch has beeped for the 1st mile at 5.15 pace - but I know on a track its hard to judge - but seemed close enough to the start line.

At this stage, I knew that if I kept going - I'd probably have to drop out at that pace.
    I made the decision to move to the back of the pack and try to hold on.

Next laps were 1.23/ 1.24 / 1.24 and I was struggling badly.
    I considered dropping out and even moved to the side of the track and slowed to drop out - but a voice shouted at me in my head to keep going - only 4 laps to go.

The group was well ahead of me at this stage - mile 2 had beeped at 5.30.

I was in a world of hurt - at this stage it was a Solo race - no one around me. On the bend, I risked a look behind to see if I was last! Thankfully I wasn't.

1.25 / 1.25 followed - coming into the last 2 laps now - longest 800m in my life.
    Next 400 was in 1.26 and I knew by the clock that I'd need a 1.20 to PB.

That was a real kick in the balls as I had nothing left in the tank. I tried to surge, but had nothing.
    Garmin tells me my 3rd mile was 5.43 with 57 seconds for the final 0.17 (early part of the race in lane 2&3)
    A 1.26 last lap brought me home in 17.28 - well outside my expectations.

Positives:
    * My 1st 5000m track race - so its a Track PB.
    * Fastest mile in a race.
    * Fastest 2 miles in a race.
    * Didn't die (literally) in last mile.

Negatives:
    * Start was far too fast - I should have backed off earlier.
    * I had no plan B if I left the pack.
    * I had no kick.

Given how I felt earlier in the week, I'm kinda happy with this now, in hindsight.
    Its my 2nd or 3rd fastest 5k and my 1st full 5k/race in many months.

I'm confident in a road race, I'd be in better control of the pace and would manage the closing stages better.

Onwards.

Advertisement