Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think doing the runs at 50 bpm below max HR is a bit if a one size fits all approach. For example someone with a max of 200 running at 150 is a world if difference to someone with a max of 160 running at 110. For me this is a flaw in the hadd system and easy running HR should be worked out as a %of max rather than 50 below max. Since you have a relatively low max HR you are affected negatively by this. It would probably be fine for you to do easy runs around 130 even 135 IMO

You may be right, but I'm just going by the book at the moment to see how it goes. It does specifically say not to go above 125bpm on easy runs for someone with my HR Max. Recommended steady state for me starting off is 135-140bpm, so I'm going to give that a go in the morning to see how I get on. If I'm not happy with things by the end of May, I've still got plenty of time (18 weeks) to make some adjustments or start something completely different before Berlin.

Tuesday 1st April- 60 minutes Steady (preceded by 10 x 100m Strides)
    8m @ 8:04p/m average (135bpm avg)
    Strides: (19:37, 18:35, 19:28, 18:79, 18:78, 18:42, 18:63, 18:07, 18:53, 18:22)

Warmed up for about 3/4 of a mile before getting stuck into the strides, then followed them with an hour of running at my recommended steady pace (135bpm). I added on an extra few minutes to fit the eighth mile in. Very enjoyable run on a beautiful morning. I move up 5bpm to 140 for my steady state runs as soon as I've 'mastered' running at 135. Mastering a heart rate means that you can run for 10 miles without the HR rising or the pace dropping. I felt like I'd already mastered 135 this morning as the pace/HR was rock steady for the vast majority of the workout. The seventh mile was a little slower for some reason, but I think the sun was to blame for that as I was able to pick the pace up again for the last mile without the HR rising again. I might try 75 minutes on Friday and see how I go.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:00 (135bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:01 (135bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:00 (135bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:04 (135bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:03 (135bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:00 (136bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:16 (135bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:06 (136bpm)

Wednesday 2nd April

A.M. - 60 minutes Easy
    7m @ 8:50p/m average (123bpm avg)

I was originally planning to run for 45 minutes this morning, but I was enjoying my time out in the rain so much that I extended it to an hour as well as repeating my usual tactic of adding an extra minute or so to fit the last mile in.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:27 (120bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:36 (124bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:37 (124bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:57 (123bpm)
    Mile 5 - 9:16 (124bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:34 (124bpm)
    Mile 7 - 9:22 (125bpm)

P.M. - HADD 2400m Test

Decided to repeat this at the recommended levels since I now had an accurate HR Max. Was far easier tonight compared to my attempt a few weeks ago when I was trying to maintain a HR four beats above my maximum!
    Results are below:

2400m @ 120 bpm (Actual 120 bpm) - 8:57 min/mile average
    2400m @ 130 bpm (Actual 129 bpm) - 8:27 min/mile average (previous: 8:51 @132)
    2400m @ 140 bpm (Actual 138 bpm) - 7:37 min/mile average
    2400m @ 150 bpm (Actual 149 bpm) - 6:48 min/mile average (previous: 7:38 @ 147)
    2400m @ 160 bpm (Actual 158 bpm) - 6:08 min/mile average (previous: 7:00 @159)

Although it's only been four weeks, I can definitely see some improvement already, so I think I'll stick with this approach for the immediate future. I might give myself a rest day tomorrow ahead of my steady session on Friday, since I practically did a double today. I'll more than likely give the Naas parkrun a go on Saturday morning once I'm feeling good. Hopefully I can break the 18 minute barrier! Really enjoying my running at the moment and looking forward to my other upcoming races (Clonakilty 10 Mile & Terenure 5 Mile) which should also act as a good gauge of my progress :). Sub 63:00 & Sub 30:00 are my early targets for those.

Friday 4th April- 75 minutes Steady (preceded by 10 x 100m Strides)
    9.2m @ 8:10p/m average (134bpm avg)
    Strides: (18:76, 18:06, 17:58, 17:59, 17:56, 18:70, 17:85, 17:15, 17:22, 16:97)

Gave myself almost a mile to warm up before doing the strides. Splits for those are better than Tuesday which is encouraging. The plan after that was to run at my steady state (135bpm) for 75 minutes. These miles were pretty much identical (give or take a few seconds) until Mile 9 where it was noticeable that the HR was starting to rise at the same pace. I needed to slow by more than ten seconds to maintain the correct state (135bpm) and I'm pretty sure Mile 10 would have followed suit if I'd continued that far, suggesting that I haven't quite mastered this heart rate yet. Nice workout though.
    I'll more than likely do a parkrun tomorrow, in which case I'll switch my long run to Monday in favour of a few recovery miles on Sunday.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:59 (133bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:11 (135bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:12 (135bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:05 (135bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:04 (135bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:08 (135bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:12 (135bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:13 (135bpm)
    Mile 9 - 8:24 (135bpm)
    0.2 - 1:36 (134bpm)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey Yaboya,

you seem to have recovered very well from your Marathon exploits - did you follow a recovery plan (too lazy to read back over your log) - what were the main weekly recovery blocks?

• Advertisement

Hey Yaboya,

you seem to have recovered very well from your Marathon exploits - did you follow a recovery plan (too lazy to read back over your log) - what were the main weekly recovery blocks?

Hi Alan,

I didn't really follow a plan. I did nothing for about four days, then went out and ran three very slow and sore recovery miles. After a few more rest days, my legs felt up to it again I was back on the road. That was about a week after the race. Worked for me but everybody is different so I'd say play it by ear yourself.

*You're likely to be far more sore than I was, since you'll be running much faster ;)*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Not that much faster!
    Thanks, hopefully I recover as quick as you.

4th place in 18:03 at the Naas parkrun this morning. It's another PB, but I just failed to break the 18 minute barrier! :-(
    I'll post a full report tomorrow.

Big thanks to the volunteers. They're fantastic. I've completed three different parkruns now (St Annes, Marlay & Naas) and they've made me feel as if I'm doing them a favour by showing up to run at each one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Any day you run 18.03 in a 5k and complain is a good day in my book, nice running, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Was it a nice course? Fast as Raheny?

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Was it a nice course? Fast as Raheny?

It's the ambulance track on the inside of the racecourse. It's a nice course, but you need to climb the hill in the home straight three times so probably not the fastest. I'm not sure there are any parkruns faster than St Anne's.

Saturday 5th April - Naas parkrun
    5k @ 3:37m/km average (18:03)

After a pretty decent night's sleep on Friday, I arose around 7:30am on what looked a pleasant enough morning. Naas was given the vote over Malahide as it as a better logistical fit for me today. After a coffee and a banana I was on my way down the N7 by 8:45. Arrived at the racecourse just before nine o clock where I was kindly greeted by an enthusiastic volunteer who pointed out where to park, where the toilets were and how to get to the start.
    As anybody who reads my log will know, I'm a pretty big fan of the horses so I'm fairly familiar with the layout of Naas racecourse having spent many profitable/expensive days down here before. I've always seen it as a great place to prep a horse for Cheltenham, as the finishing uphill climb at Prestbury Park is somewhat replicated here. I guessed the ambulance track we were running on wouldn't be as steep, but had to be relatively similar given the topography of the land. Having checked the website beforehand I knew we would be climbing said hill at least twice, but my research was shoddy and I was a little shocked when I realised the start was at the bottom of the straight meaning the punishing incline needed to be negotiated a third time! The wind that was simultaneously blowing in our face wasn't going to help either. Another thing that surprised me a little was the length of time it took to reach the starting area. I assumed I'd park the car, jump out and walk across the racetrack to the line in about five minutes. This is not the case at all. You need to go back out the exit, walk around 500m to another entrance down the road and then a further 600-800m down to the start. It's probably wise to allow between 20-30 minutes for this, unless you're going to jog/run all the way. Anyway I eventually arrived at the line, and after a five minute wait for the stragglers the whistle blew and we were under way. My pre-race goal was to run five even km splits of 3:35, which would give me a comfortable sub 18 minute time of 17:55. As in life though, these things are much easier said than done. I set off right behind the three leaders who seemed to be moving about that pace. My Garmin lap pace was jumping around for the first 200m or so, while as in the Larne HM I could feel my HRM start to slip down my chest. I'm not sure why this happened as since I've figured out how to use it properly, I've tightened it and it hadn't given me any problems since then until today. Maybe I breathe deeper in races, maybe I've lost more weight? I don't know. What I do know is that it was around my waist again by the time we'd run 500m. Anyway when my lap pace settled down, it was showing just below the target at 3:34m/km. A good start but I felt I was working harder than I should have been, which was probably down to the aforementioned uphill climb straight into the wind. By the time we reached the turn at the top, there had already been a significant gap established between our leading group of four and the fifth place runner. After the turn you gradually ease back down the hill you've just scaled and the wind that was hurting you disappears, helping a little if anything. As we passed the 1km marker I was delighted with my split of 3:31 as I now felt pretty comfortable. The three lads ahead started to accelerate again though and trying to hang onto their coat tails saw my lap pace creep up to 3:2xm/km which I knew I couldn't sustain, so I had to let them go. I was very wary of saving energy to get up the hill again (x2), but probably eased off too much as I went through 2km in 7:08. From here on in, it was a very lonely race. I had no cover from the breeze going past the stands second time around as the leading three had taken a few hundred metres out of me, while the nearest runner behind me was only turning into the straight as I reached the summit. I was working really hard to stay on target at this stage, but knew I could make some seconds back up after I moved back down the hill. Hopes for breaking 18 minutes were still intact. Went by the finish area for the second time where the fantastic volunteers clapped and shouted words of support & encouragement. 3k in 10:51. A little slower than ideal, but still a manageable amount to claw back in the final sprint to the line. Dropped another five seconds in the next (easy) km. The work I'd put in up to now was taking it's toll. I didn't want to start throwing the kitchen sink at it yet as I needed to conserve enough energy to get up the hill for a final time. When I hit the 4km marker, I knew it was going to be close and probably unlikely. That was the last time I looked at the watch until after the finish. I gave it everything I had up the hill, knowing I would get through the final 400-500m when I turned as I would be able to see the line. Was weaving my way in and out of slower runners who were on their second lap here, which actually helped focus me a bit as I plotted my route, picking out gaps around ten metres in advance before squeezing through them and moving onto the next group. Finally reached the peak for the third time and took the hard left down towards the finish. Fell over the line and heard the timekeeper call out 18:03. Bit gutted I didn't go sub 18, but gave it everything I had and it just wasn't to be today. The volunteers at the finish made me feel like an Olympian, congratulating me and one of them made it her business to make me a coffee in the little tent they had set up.

I really love the spirit of these events and unpaid marshals, directors, timekeepers, token sorters etc. making me feel the way they do are the reason I will always volunteer myself if I'm available, hoping that maybe I can do the same for some other runners.

Splits:

Km 1 - 3:31
    Km 2 - 3:37
    Km 3 - 3:43
    Km 4 - 3:41
    Km 5 - 3:35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great run man congrats.

Was wondering how this race was gonna work with the laps but seems to be going well. Must take a gander out some weekend soon

ecoli wrote: »
    Great run man congrats.

Was wondering how this race was gonna work with the laps but seems to be going well. Must take a gander out some weekend soon

Yeah seems to be ok, but there were only around 100 runners yesterday. Not sure if it would become congested with a Marlay/Malahide sized field.
    I was just looking at the map again on the website and it does look like the start is right in front of the stands.
    It's not in reality though, trust me! :pac:

Monday 7th April- 120 minutes Easy
    13.32m @ 9:01p/m average (121bpm avg)

Never managed to get out at all yesterday, which seemed to do me good as I felt fine today. Plan with this run was to keep the HR at 125bpm or below for the entire duration of the workout. I got the four seasons all in one day here as the weather alternated from sun, heat & calm to cold wind & rain. That cycle repeated itself about three times while I was out there. It failed to dampen my spirits though, and I noticed when I got in that today's run takes me past 600 miles for 2014 :).

Splits:

*Km 1 - 5:02 (118bpm)
    Mile 1 - 8:49 (121bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:55 (122bpm)
    Mile 3 - 9:06 (121bpm)
    Mile 4 - 9:09 (121bpm)
    Mile 5 - 9:32 (121bpm)
    Mile 6 - 9:04 (122bpm)
    Mile 7 - 9:09 (122bpm)
    Mile 8 - 9:02 (121bpm)
    Mile 9 - 8:54 (122bpm)
    Mile 10 - 8:57 (121bpm)
    Mile 11 - 8:41 (124bpm)
    Mile 12 - 9:05 (125bpm)
    0.69 - 6:39 (122bpm)

*I forgot to change the Auto-Lap function to 1.0 mile splits, so the first split is 1.0 kilometre, after which I changed it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I was wondering about the parkrun in Naas. It's described as flat and fast and I couldn't quite figure out how they'd got rid of the hill - looks like they didn't :D

I was wondering about the parkrun in Naas. It's described as flat and fast and I couldn't quite figure out how they'd got rid of the hill - looks like they didn't :D

My Garmin data makes me look like a liar, as there's no significant rise on the profile. The hill is there though, especially when the wind is blowing the opposite direction!

Tuesday 8th April - 60 minutes Steady (preceded by 10 x 100m Strides)
    7.4m @ 8:07p/m average (134bpm avg)
    Strides: (8:83*, 18:37, 18:85, 16:71, 16:52, 17:73, 18:24, 17:60, 18:14, 18:09)

*New WR

Anyone got a phone number for the IAAF? I think my first stride today proves why Garmins shouldn't be 100% relied upon, especially since I'm certain that wasn't even the fastest one I ran of the ten! Anyway, I spent the hour after the strides celebrating my unofficial World Record with a sixty minute steady run along the coast. The pace was dropping in the last three miles, but I think this is more down to running back into the strong wind that had been behind me rather than anything else.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:06 (134bpm)
    Mile 2 - 7:52 (133bpm)
    Mile 3 - 7:54 (134bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:02 (134bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:18 (134bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:25 (135bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:13 (134bpm)
    0.4 - 3:12 (134bpm)

Wednesday 9th April - 45 minutes Easy
    5.07m @ 8:53p/m average (123bpm avg)

Just an easy paced run on another nice morning. Nothing else to report.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:22 (120bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:32 (124bpm)
    Mile 3 - 9:06 (124bpm)
    Mile 4 - 9:15 (124bpm)
    Mile 5 - 9:11 (125bpm)
    0.07 - 0:36 (123pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Have you settled on a plan yet for Berlin? Keep going with the Hadd stuff or something else?

With Conn done I need a new focus.

• Advertisement

Ferris B wrote: »
    Have you settled on a plan yet for Berlin? Keep going with the Hadd stuff or something else?

With Conn done I need a new focus.

Not yet. I'm sticking with the HADD stuff until the end of May at least though.
    I have a 10 miler in Clonakilty on Easter Monday and the Terenure 5 Mile on 18th May. I'll probably repeat the 2400m test the week after that.
    After I've digested all those results I'll make a final decison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I have a 10 miler in Clonakilty on Easter Monday

Whats wrong with Raheny (Brian Boru)? :p

ecoli wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Raheny (Brian Boru)? :p

I only found out about it after I had already entered Clonakilty and booked accommodation (having previously trawled the internet for a 10 mile race that day!).

Friday 11th April - 75 minutes Steady (preceded by 10 x 100m Strides)
    10m @ 8:00p/m average (134bpm avg)
    Strides: (19:87, 17:64, 15:21, 17:78, 18:21, 18:57, 18:39, 16:82, 17:78, 16:28)

I wasn't feeling the love at all today, after far too much alcohol watching The Masters last night. I'd been putting off my cycle of core work all week, but eventually got around to it late this morning before heading out for my steady session at around 7pm. Felt pretty sluggish starting off, so the splits for the strides surprised me as I thought they'd all be as slow as the first one. After walking for a minute or so to allow the heart rate settle back down, I was off at my steady pace (HR 135bpm). The whole run felt pretty effortless and the heart rate/pace was consistent all the way through, apart from two miles along the beach which were almost identically slower. Bizarrely, neither felt like the pace had dropped at the time? The splits got back to normal as soon as I left the sand and I continued on for a few extra minutes to fit the tenth mile in. It seems I have now 'mastered' this HR. I completed 10 miles maintaining the same bpm without the pace dropping, also feeling like I could have gone round again. Looks like I'm ready to move up to 140bpm for these sessions now. Finished the evening off with some stretching and a good going over with the foam roller. A very productive day in the end which I never would have predicted beforehand. Amazing how your body surprises you sometimes!
    Now it's time for a few more beers in front of the TV :). Pity my financial interest in the golf looks to be gone already :( (Zach Johnson & Justin Rose)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:46 (134bpm)
    Mile 2 - 7:51 (135bpm)
    Mile 3 - 7:59 (135bpm)
    Mile 4 - 7:58 (135bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:14 (135bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:15 (135bpm)
    Mile 7 - 7:59 (135bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:02 (135bpm)
    Mile 9 - 7:56 (135bpm)
    Mile 10 - 7:58 (135bpm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Put €5 on Bubba at start of week at 25/1, so far so good. Rose isn't out of it yet.

Sunday 13th April- 105 minutes Easy
    11.12m @ 9:26p/m average (122bpm avg)

Very rough night last night, so I was happy just to get this in as it would have been easy to skip it altogether. Felt pretty dehydrated from about halfway and was relieved when I finally finished. Might do a double session of easy runs tomorrow once I get good night's sleep, since I'm going to give myself a couple of rest days next weekend ahead of my race on Monday.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:22 (124bpm)
    Mile 2 - 9:21 (122bpm)
    Mile 3 - 9:42 (123bpm)
    Mile 4 - 9:30 (122bpm)
    Mile 5 - 9:15 (121bpm)
    Mile 6 - 9:33 (123bpm)
    Mile 7 - 9:37 (122bpm)
    Mile 8 - 9:47 (124bpm)
    Mile 9 - 9:36 (124bpm)
    Mile 10 - 9:09 (124bpm)
    Mile 11 - 8:58 (124bpm)
    0.12 - 1:14 (122bpm)

Monday 14th April

A.M. - 75 minutes Easy
    8.01m @ 9:22p/m average (124bpm avg)

Lovely morning for it. Took it nice and easy along the Clontarf promenade.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:13 (125bpm)
    Mile 2 - 9:25 (125bpm)
    Mile 3 - 9:15 (124bpm)
    Mile 4 - 9:23 (123bpm)
    Mile 5 - 9:38 (125bpm)
    Mile 6 - 9:33 (123bpm)
    Mile 7 - 9:20 (123bpm)
    Mile 8 - 9:09 (124bpm)

P.M. - 90 minutes Easy
    9.52m @ 9:27p/m average (123bpm avg)

Left this as late as possible to give me plenty of time to recover from the morning's exertions. I was too warm wearing sleeves at 8pm. Not something I'm complaining about!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:58 (123bpm)
    Mile 2 - 9:17 (123bpm)
    Mile 3 - 9:20 (124bpm)
    Mile 4 - 9:43 (125bpm)
    Mile 5 - 9:38 (124bpm)
    Mile 6 - 9:30 (123bpm)
    Mile 7 - 9:12 (124bpm)
    Mile 8 - 9:32 (124bpm)
    Mile 9 - 9:29 (123bpm)
    0.52 - 5:24 (125bpm)

Tuesday 15th April - 60 minutes Steady (preceded by 10 x 100m Strides)
    1m @ 9:04p/m average (139bpm avg)
    Strides: (19:00, 18:42, 18:59, 19:42, 17:28, 18:25, 17:38, 17:88, 18:16, 18:15)

I started this log on the 1st November last year, and today is the first time I've had a really bad day. Woke up this morning with what felt like a bit of a temperature and my heart rate was about 25-20 beats quicker than normal. My stomach also felt a bit queasy. I knew I'd be better off resting, but it was such a nice day outside that it seemed like a shame to waste it. I decided to go ahead and do the strides. After that I'd make a decision on the steady run. They took far more effort than they should have and told me what I already knew (that I shouldn't be running today). I made a compromise with myself, deciding to try one mile at the steady state HR (140bpm) and making a call on the workout after that. It took me 9:04 to complete a mile at 140bpm, despite the fact that I had averaged 8.00min/mile for ten in a row at 135bpm last Friday. I decided to pull the plug there and then, as the run wasn't going to be beneficial to me in any way. While feeling sorry for myself, I bought a McFlurry in McDonalds and jumped on a Luas the rest of the way home. I had to get off halfway there because I felt like vomiting and was sweating badly. I got on the next one, but was starting to shiver by the time I reached my stop, even though it was very warm outside. I don't feel well at all today, but have a feeling this is all self inflicted. I was up drinking all night on Saturday and have probably only slept for a total of 14-15 hours in the past three days. I've run almost 30 miles in the same period. I've abused my body and today it got it's revenge. It cried enough and appears to be screaming out for rest. I'm going to listen. The steady sessions are getting knocked on the head for this week and I'm not even going to do any more easy miles until I feel 100%. I also need to cut down on my caffeine intake which probably explains my sleeping problems as I'm doing enough to wear myself out. I conked out for four hours when I got home at 4.30pm which probably tells me all I need to know. Hopefully my rare intelligent running decision will pay dividends in my race next Monday.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:04 (139bpm)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Tuesday 15th April - 60 minutes Steady (preceded by 10 x 100m Strides)
    1m @ 9:04p/m average (139bpm avg)
    Strides: (19:00, 18:42, 18:59, 19:42, 17:28, 18:25, 17:38, 17:88, 18:16, 18:15)

I started this log on the 1st November last year, and today is the first time I've had a really bad day. Woke up this morning with what felt like a bit of a temperature and my heart rate was about 25-20 beats quicker than normal. My stomach also felt a bit queasy. I knew I'd be better off resting, but it was such a nice day outside that it seemed like a shame to waste it. I decided to go ahead and do the strides. After that I'd make a decision on the steady run. They took far more effort than they should have and told me what I already knew (that I shouldn't be running today). I made a compromise with myself, deciding to try one mile at the steady state HR (140bpm) and making a call on the workout after that. It took me 9:04 to complete a mile at 140bpm, despite the fact that I had averaged 8.00min/mile for ten in a row at 135bpm last Friday. I decided to pull the plug there and then, as the run wasn't going to be beneficial to me in any way. While feeling sorry for myself, I bought a McFlurry in McDonalds and jumped on a Luas the rest of the way home. I had to get off halfway there because I felt like vomiting and was sweating badly. I got on the next one, but was starting to shiver by the time I reached my stop, even though it was very warm outside. I don't feel well at all today, but have a feeling this is all self inflicted. I was up drinking all night on Saturday and have probably only slept for a total of 14-15 hours in the past three days. I've run almost 30 miles in the same period. I've abused my body and today it got it's revenge. It cried enough and appears to be screaming out for rest. I'm going to listen. The steady sessions are getting knocked on the head for this week and I'm not even going to do any more easy miles until I feel 100%. I also need to cut down on my caffeine intake which probably explains my sleeping problems as I'm doing enough to wear myself out. I conked out for four hours when I got home at 4.30pm which probably tells me all I need to know. Hopefully my rare intelligent running decision will pay dividends in my race next Monday.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:04 (139bpm)

There are more pubs than people in clonakilty so with ur vices I'd recomend a good rural farmhouse b&b !

• Advertisement

No running today, but I'm feeling much better.
    I should be fine to go out again tomorrow evening, where I think I'll try the 5x800m session (@ 10k pace) that ecoli suggested before I ran the Larne Half-Marathon. That should get the legs used to moving quickly again and I can follow it with a recovery run on Friday/Saturday to put me right for Monday.

I had some time to think about my running while I was 'resting' yesterday. Since I'm pretty sure I'll achieve my goals in my upcoming 10 & 5 mile races, I thought it was time to set some new ones for the rest of 2014. I'm going to run a couple more 5k/10k races before the summer is out, then totally focus on Berlin.

These are my targets:

5k: Sub 18
    10k: Sub 38
    Half-Marathon: Sub 1:23
    Marathon: Sub 3

If I've achieved all them by the night of the 28th September, I might not make my flight home the next day :p

Advertisement