Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danske bank to close retail customer accounts

Options
  • 31-10-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Danske have announced they will be closing their retail banking / personal accounts and concentrating on corporate instead. What will this mean for trackers ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Danske have announced they will be closing their retail banking / personal accounts and concentrating on corporate instead. What will this mean for trackers ?

According to their website mortgages will continue under existing terms and conditions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So anyone with an NIB Current account will have to change banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

What about NIB current/credit card accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Stheno wrote: »
    So anyone with an NIB Current account will have to change banks?

Looks like it;
    http://www.danskebank.ie/en-ie/Pages/danske-announcement.aspx

What a PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

thesteve wrote: »

That is going to be a right pain :( plus it said early 2014, that is not giving us a lot of time to switch everything across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I'm a Danske customer and this is a right pain alright. Only yesterday I was in the Swords office to discuss my finances and this wasn't mentioned. I wonder did this come as a surprise to the staff currently working there.

Given the uncertainty over Ulster Bank, I guess that just leaves BoI and AIB to transfer to. I'm in a dilemma as to what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

chughes wrote: »
    I'm a Danske customer and this is a right pain alright. Only yesterday I was in the Swords office to discuss my finances and this wasn't mentioned. I wonder did this come as a surprise to the staff currently working there.

Given the uncertainty over Ulster Bank, I guess that just leaves BoI and AIB to transfer to. I'm in a dilemma as to what to do.

I'm with you. Danske's online banking was unreal. Anybody know what the options are now in terms of moving one's personal banking?, who has the best online offering out there now?

Surely we'll see some or all of the other banks advertising their wares to Danske customers v soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

This is a huge pain in the fanny...I left BOI to go to them, not going back there...not keen on Ulster either so will probably give AIB a go.

Formosa wrote: »
    This is a huge pain in the fanny...I left BOI to go to them, not going back there...not keen on Ulster either so will probably give AIB a go.

I only got approved for a credit card with Danske yesterday!

I'm looking at KBC now, they look pretty good too.

I only got approved for a credit card with Danske yesterday!

I'm looking at KBC now, they look pretty good too.

KBC?, wow, did not know they did current accounts for personal customers. Is there a website comparing all the current account offerings does anybody know?

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    KBC?, wow, did not know they did current accounts for personal customers. Is there a website comparing all the current account offerings does anybody know?

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-current-accounts/

Not sure how up to date it is though. KBC have the 'keep your account at 2k minimum for no ATM fees' thing, but their savings interest rates are pretty good.

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-current-accounts/

Not sure how up to date it is though. KBC have the 'keep your account at 2k minimum for no ATM fees' thing, but their savings interest rates are pretty good.

Thanks. Anyone know do KBC offer a credit card I see no mention of it on their site? They do have a debit card with Mastercard logo.

I'd be looking for a good value current account, with top notch online offering plus a credit card.

Oh and I don't want to be charged for using a feckin ATM.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

KBC currently do not offer credit cards.

Sad to see the closure happen, but not unexpected overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

As well as my Current Account, I have an investment account with Danske -hopefully they will offer some easy/cheap transfer options..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Ptsb have good online facilities also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭josip

I closed my NIB (I refuse to call it Danske) current and credit cards last year when they brought in charges and consolidated to BoI.
    We still have a joint account as well as my wife's account and our mortgage.
    I will really miss the NIB online banking app. The BoI one just doesn't compare.

It's looking more and more like PTSB is the way to go for me. Seems like they have the best/easiest option in terms of getting free banking and at €12 a quarter it's decent value. And they do a credit card unlike KBC.

Just need to find out how good their online is... would be great to see it in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Do they have the visa debit or MasterCard debit cards? I know nib were meant to get them in this month but that's not gonna happen now.. Do PTSb have a banking app like nib do you know I loves the way I could just transfer money standing at a till if I didn't have the money in my account with nib and it'd go through instantly..

Harpy wrote: »
    Do they have the visa debit or MasterCard debit cards? I know nib were meant to get them in this month but that's not gonna happen now.. Do PTSb have a banking app like nib do you know I loves the way I could just transfer money standing at a till if I didn't have the money in my account with nib and it'd go through instantly..

PTSB have Visa debit card.

Like you I'm interested to see how good their online is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What a royal PITA, my OH will now have to move his account

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TCG

They will never offer east cheap transfers. Olny something that will make them money but they will try to tell it is the best thing for you. And some people will believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

This is a shame but should not come as a surprise, given their slow and steady removal of services since 2010.

I am going to miss the ebanking and mobile app. I have used BOI & AIB and both pale in comparison. Is the new KBC online presence good? I realise it's still very new and the old savings ebanking wasn't the best.
    Is the Ulster Bank app good?

Does anyone have experience of both Danske and Ulster's electronic services that could compare them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Interesting - when I set up my mortgage with them, they insisted that I set up a current account with them too, and that the mortgage could only be paid from there. Then, when they introduced charges, they changed that account into another type of account that didn't incur fees, but didn't allow any transactions other than mortgage withdrawals.

I wonder will that account be closed (and I can just feed my mortgage from another bank), or if that will remain in existence as a feeder account. I'd prefer if I could just feed the mortgage directly from another bank, it would cut out another hop that the money has to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭freevoice

Danske seem to be offering a " Switching Pack" with other banks , I know AIB and BoI have switching pack offers. , ug gonna have to change all the direct debit details now , ugh.
    I'm weirdly gonna switch to an Irish bank this time as awful as they are. As I think it's easier for foreign Banks to follow Danske example and up and leave.

It would be good if they offered some sort of tracker deal as they must be losing money on this in real terms.

It would be good if they offered some sort of tracker deal as they must be losing money on this in real terms.

Why do you think it would be good? Good for us or good for them?

josip wrote: »
    Why do you think it would be good? Good for us or good for them?

I'd hardly be worried about the bank....

I'd hardly be worried about the bank....

So why would the bank offering an exit deal on tracker mortgages be good for their customers?
    Surely the "deal" would be packaged to appear attractive to customers while in reality being more beneficial to the bank?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    So why would the bank offering an exit deal on tracker mortgages be good for their customers?
    Surely the "deal" would be packaged to appear attractive to customers while in reality being more beneficial to the bank?

Investors confidence

Advertisement