Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dallas Buyers Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Was just about to post about this film. Saw a report on it today on Euronews. It looks good and as you say it does seem like a typical "Oscars" film.

Looking forward to seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Just after watching this, its a very good movie. Sad, hard to watch, educational and emotional.

I watched this after American Hustle so it was good to see a proper movie and not fluff which is what I though American Hustle was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Much better than American Hustle but then again that wouldnt be too hard ;)

McConaughey is a shoe in for an Oscar nomination, the Robert De Niro method school of acting is very much evident here.

A decent 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Brilliant movie with a career best performance from Matthew McConaughey, who is sadly been overlooked cause of Jared Leto's performance, which while more showy isn't quite as powerful for me as McConaughey. McConaughey really is turning into one of the best actor's around, if it wasn't for Chiwetel Ejiofor brilliant performance in 12 year a Slave I'd say he'd win the Best actor Oscar. The scene
    When he realises in the library how he caught HIV is some of the best acting you see this year

Not a easy watch at all but with T-Rex on the soundtrack and some wonderful performances and deserving of it's praise unlike say American Hustle. 9/10 and I expect it to be in my top 10 at the end of 2014.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jared Leto is a shoe in for best supporting imo, he completely steals it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Good movie McCon (however u spell it) is turning up in a lot of gems in last year- Mud, Dallas Buyers Club and Wolf of Wall Street.

The weight loss for this movie would match Bales loss in the past, he will have to put up weight as Bale did for American Hustle to match it.

Good movie this one though, would recommend it and the Academy love movies with themes such as this. Though Gravity seems to be the awards darling so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

McConaughey and Leto have now both won their respective Golden Globes.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Well deserved, they were both fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

McConaughey and Leto have now both won their respective Golden Globes.

Leto is a lock for the Oscar win

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It was 1 hour into the film and I was wondering when Jared Leto was going to make an appearance, then the penny dropped! :o

I suppose its a massive compliment to his performance

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dempsey wrote: »
    It was 1 hour into the film and I was wondering when Jared Leto was going to make an appearance, then the penny dropped! :o

I suppose its a massive compliment to his performance
    TBH I'm not sure I would have recognized him either, only reason I knew was because he was on John Stewart a few weeks ago and they showed a clip!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jordan Catalano plays a beautiful woman :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I really enjoyed it. Excellent performances which didn't feel 'showy' at all.

Having lost someone to AIDS many years ago it was a subject that was always going to affect me but I think it was well written and resisted the temptation to go for the easy emotion pulls which made it all the more powerful in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Wow, amazing film. I think I need to re-watch this over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I really want to see this. McConaughey is very underrated and he was brilliant in the last few movies I've seen him in, Paperboy was an excellent performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Jared leto was very good in I didn't recognise him in till I imdb the film and both deserve the Oscar ,great performances!!

Saying that I still think wolf of wall street is a better film hope that wins best picture

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Well this was an unexpected joy, McConaughey is a triumph here, as is Leto.
    Does a great job of conveying the paranoia with Aids in the '80's.
    I much preferred the acting here to any of the other Oscar bait.

If you've held back on watching this I would set that right, 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Watched this last night, really great stuff and very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

cant fault the movie. tough going at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto immense. Sorry Leo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The tv spot for this is just wrong, it makes the film out to be all action and wise cracking. I watched it, loved it, but thought it was a thoroughly depressing film that left me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The tv spot for this is just wrong, it makes the film out to be all action and wise cracking. I watched it, loved it, but thought it was a thoroughly depressing film that left me angry.

Thought the same myself, saw the film a few weeks ago and then saw the TV spot earlier and thought anyone looking to see a plucky funny film about dealing with AIDS might be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Definitely going to watch this tomorrow, just watched Matthew Mcconaughey in True detective and he's brilliant in that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Just saw this last night and was blown away by the brilliant performances from McConaughey and Leto. That scene where
    Leto's character goes to speak to his father and his father says, "Lord help me," and Leto responds, "He is, I have AIDS," or something to that effect literally made me gasp out loud, the delivery was so powerful.

It was a compelling film, well worth a watch. McConaughey will likely be an Oscar winner for this and no doubt Leto will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

They did the exact same thing for Behind the Candelabra. From the TV spot I thought it was going to be a comedy and was looking forward to watching it but the only funny bits in the movie were in that TV spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

SuprSi wrote: »
    They did the exact same thing for Behind the Candelabra. From the TV spot I thought it was going to be a comedy and was looking forward to watching it but the only funny bits in the movie were in that TV spot!

I found Behind the Candelabra pretty funny throughout.

Was that just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Cant wait to see this, even just to see Jared Letos performance!

Don't have the time to do an in-depth review but saw this and rather enjoyed it. There's little here that hasn't been done a dozen times before but it's an enjoyable film that doesn't dwell in the misery. Performances are excellent, though I did find Leto's performance to be over rated. He's rather excellent but I felt that the transformation is what's getting him so much acclaim.

The day after I saw the film I saw the trailer for it play before The Armstrong Lie and was surprised by how they film is being sold. From the trailer you expect some kind of fell good, rom-com about an aids patient finding love and getting into all kinds of comical misadventures. I assume that trailers have been edited so as to appeal to McConaughey's female fanbase who think his best work was in all those films where he played a rascal who was tamed by the love of some reporter writing an article on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I assume that trailers have been edited so as to appeal to McConaughey's female fanbase who think his best work was in all those films where he played a rascal who was tamed by the love of some reporter writing an article on him.

I can imagine that audience might be very disappointed that
    he doesn't get cured at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Don't have the time to do an in-depth review but saw this and rather enjoyed it. There's little here that hasn't been done a dozen times before but it's an enjoyable film that doesn't dwell in the misery. Performances are excellent, though I did find Leto's performance to be over rated. He's rather excellent but I felt that the transformation is what's getting him so much acclaim.

The day after I saw the film I saw the trailer for it play before The Armstrong Lie and was surprised by how they film is being sold. From the trailer you expect some kind of fell good, rom-com about an aids patient finding love and getting into all kinds of comical misadventures. I assume that trailers have been edited so as to appeal to McConaughey's female fanbase who think his best work was in all those films where he played a rascal who was tamed by the love of some reporter writing an article on him.

I agree with this, while certainly not faulting his performance it's definitely not out of this world great. Leto has always had a sort of feminine look, as weird as that is to say, so it didn't take a whole lot to get that look IMO. Not faulting his performance, but like you say, a bit over rated.

Advertisement