Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soups

Options
  • 30-10-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Does anyone know any good soups that can be store bought? Most seem to have an endless amount of additives.

I imagine I would be better off making my own? Any good recipes, or is there a thread here with good recipes?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

The Noom app has loads of them...lo cal Recipes I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

Ingredients

• 3 Deep red peppers, halved & de-seeded.
    • 1 White onion, unpeeled & halved.
    • 4 Cloves of garlic, unpeeled.
    • 2 Sticks of celery, sliced & chopped.
    • 500g Plum tomatoes.
    • 450ml Vegetable stock.
    • 2tbsp Olive oil.
    • 2tbsp Tomato puree.
    • 1tbsp Sundried tomato paste.
    • 1tsp Flaked chilli.
    • 25g Butter.
    • Salt & coarsely ground black pepper.

Method

1. Pre heat oven to 200šC/gas mark 4. Place the pepper & onion halves (cut side down) along with the plum tomatoes & garlic cloves into a baking tray & drizzle with the olive oil. Bake at the top of your oven for 30 mins or until the vegetables are roasted & tender.
      2. Meanwhile melt down the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and saute the chopped celery for 4-5 mins. Not too hot, don't burn the butter.
      3. Make up the vegetable stock adding the tomato puree, sundried tomato paste & the chilli flakes. Mix well and then add to the sauteed celery. Remove from the heat.
      4. When the baked vegetables are ready remove the peel from the onion & garlic cloves roughly chop them & add them to the pan along with the plum tomtoes. Place back on to a low to medium heat & using a hand blender blend until the soup is smooth.
      5. Season to taste & gently simmer until the soup is at a comfortable edible temperature. Do not allow the soup to boil. Serve with ciabatta bread & enjoy the moment.

My FAVOURITE!

1. Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I make my own. The peace of mind from knowing exactly what goes into it is worth the effort. Plus, you can play around with ingredients as much as you like.

My template for a generic veg soup is as follows:

1) Medium heat large pot with a good dose of olive oil and a little butter.
      2) Fry a large chopped onion til clear, also adding some fennel seeds
      3) Add chopped carrot and parsnip (about 6-8 in total), and about 2-4 sticks of celery chopped.
      4) Pour in some veg stock. Enough to easily cover everything. I would use 2-3 Knorr cubes or tsp veg bouillone. Changing one of these for a beef or chicken cube is nice if no veggy will be eating.
      5) Once stock has reached a boil, turn down to low and add some chopped celeriac.
      6) Cook until celeriac breaks easily against the side of a pot, then season with salt and pepper and blend.

This can be modified to your hearts content. You could add some ginger, curry power and other spices at (2) to make it more 'Indian'. Also, adding extra water and lentils is nice too.

2. Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Having used it many a time, I would suggest Vecon as a healthy veg stock.

Nutritional Information (per 100g)

Energy 454kJ/107kcal
      Protein 15.8g
      Carbohydrate 12.1g
      as sugars 3.1g
      Fat 0.2g
      as saturates 0.1g
      Fibre 3.1g
      Sodium 13.5g
      Vitamin A 1.5mg
      Vitamin C 152.00mg
      Thiamin (Vit B) 5.00mg
      Riboflavin (Vit B2) 6.00mg
      Niacin 50.00mg
      Vitamin B12 13.0 ug
      Iron 70.00mg

3. Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like homemade is the way to go.

Where would one find Vecon AV?

4. Advertisement
    5. Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MilfordBud wrote: »
      Where would one find Vecon AV?

I get it in Holland & Barrett but I'm sure there are other health food stores selling it. A teaspoon (it's a concentrated paste) in a litre is about how much I'd use making up a dose of soup.

6. Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Some nice ideas there.

The ballymalloe cook book has a basic veg soup recipie that i often use;

1 cup onion, 1 cup diced potatoe (saute in butter/oil of choice on low heat), add 3 cups of veg (of your choice) stir in for a few mins. Then add 4 cups of stock, bring to the boil and simmer until veg are tender, then blend. I find this very handy for using up veg etc.

Just a couple of bits to bear in mind, don't overcook the veg as you'll lose alot of flavour and goodness. If using cabbage/brocolli/cauliflower type veg, leave until near the end as it doesn't take alot of time.

Like another poster mentioned, adding spice, garlic etc can really enhance the flavour of your soup.

Enjoy!

7. Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bubba185

3 carrots
      2 medium onions
      only white of a leek about 6inches
      2 medium potatoes
      half celery stalk
      2 cloves of garlic
      1 stem of fresh thyme
      1 tsp turmeric
      1/4 tsp cumin
      salt n pepper to taste
      fresh parsley
      pinch of sugar optional.
      knob of butter and drizzle of oil
      1/2 veg stock cube
      500ml water
      1/2 bay leaf

dice all veg.
      place 500ml of water into a saucepan n add the half veg stock cube bring to boil and set aside.
      sweat your onions, garlic, leek, celery, thyme, bay leaf in a medium saucepan until soft. then add turmeric, cumin and sweat for 5 more mins, add the carrots, potatoes and then cover with the stock, add the sugar optional. cook until all veg is soft remove bay leaf and blitz, add chopped parsley season to taste. just add water if too thick. this soup is similar to cully and sully chicken and veg soup but without the chicken its the same base try it, n if you want the chicken boil it with the stock but be careful not to reduce the water it will become really salty so keep it topped up with water. and for creamy soup add 100ml cream after you blend... enjoy

Advertisement