Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing regulations possible additions

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Try and ban the commercial netting first, why c&r when the the legal nets granted by the fishery board will catch the fish the following year...

Genetics are not, I agree with the op..... It would be nice for big fish to be put back and me being very honest would I put back a twenty pound salmon?

I don't think so because I have so much work put in along the bank....

The most simplest ethos I would like to see put into the fishery board is ten times more fishery officers, people who are not afraid to convict people and do not have them working on there own doorstep....

Patrol the coastlines on a daily basis at five o clock in the morning and patrol the big rivers everyday because the amount of untagging is frightening...

Everyday it would be done and have bigger fines for people breaking the law, there should be a quota put on fishery officers like they do with the traffic core...

The gards have to catch a certain amount of people

No they don't. That is a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

They will never ban commercial netting......ever, far too beneficial to them unfortunately..

As for myself i have never, nor will i ever take a salmon over 15lbs for the table, nor have i or will i ever take a hen fish. But thats just my opinion, im not saying what other people do is wrong.

fair play to ye! im at the point now when i get no satisfaction from eating them, much more from seeing them swim away. only ever keep a fish if it is badly hooked and bleeding from the gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

fair play to ye! im at the point now when i get no satisfaction from eating them, much more from seeing them swim away. only ever keep a fish if it is badly hooked and bleeding from the gills.

I am the same alright, i have taken a good few brownies that have swallowed a fly, or else if im camping and have no food. Thats about it really.

I get more satisfaction just getting my picture taken and returning them safely to catch another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Zzippy wrote: »
    Then why is there always a huge increase of speed traps and check points at the end of the month. I would be think quotas have to be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Probably too extreme for some but I would like to see C&R for all freshwater wild fish- every species, for at least 3 years. Afterwards there should be vastly reduced limits. I think this will happen evenually anyway - eg can't see my grandchildrens fishing permit/ticket saying bag limit 6 fish, miniumn size 8"... (My eldest chap is 10 btw!)

• Advertisement

whelzer wrote: »
    Probably too extreme for some but I would like to see C&R for all freshwater wild fish- every species, for at least 3 years. Afterwards there should be vastly reduced limits. I think this will happen evenually anyway - eg can't see my grandchildrens fishing permit/ticket saying bag limit 6 fish, miniumn size 8"... (My eldest chap is 10 btw!)

id love to see that cant see it some how. but maybe when the older generation is gone the youth will have a more c&r mind set. i think this is happening slowly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

natdog wrote: »
    Then why is there always a huge increase of speed traps and check points at the end of the month. I would be think quotas have to be filled.

I know quite a few gardai, both through work, through fishing, and friends from home, and I've asked this before over a pint with several of them - there is no pressure on them to get a "quota" of speeding fines or tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I could not agree more whelzer!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Zzippy wrote: »

I suppose traffic wardens don't have a quota either?

So if a fishery officer does not catch people poaching should he or she be given year on year employment??

I am living in the real world and if i don't come up with money at the end of each month i don't have a roof per my head…

if a baker don't sell bread he won't last long in business…

Fishery officers main job is to protect the nations rivers, lakes, streams and coastline from poaching and pollution etc…

I think there was a about ten prosecutions in kerry in 2012 thats an absolute joke…

Every one from the top down should be sacked its a scandalous waste of money…

iTS NOT EXTREME AT ALL THATS EXACTLY WHAT WILL HAPPEN BECAUSE THERE WONT BE A THING LEFT…

• Advertisement

its actually very hard to get a conviction. police dont take it serious judges dont take it serious (unless you happen to get one who fishes) there is times when you the guy trying to get the conviction is made to feel like you are wasting everyones time. dont look at convictions look at confiscations to tell how much work is getting done.

There has to be convictions and more pressure put on judges, I know judges half the time don't give a ****, that's true....

but you could take as many people to court as you like it means nothing if the justice system thinks it is a waste of time

I agree its a waste of time but so is a lot of things with regards to the justice system in Ireland… There is bays, estuaries and beaches blocked solid with nets what do you do give up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I agree its a waste of time but so is a lot of things with regards to the justice system in Ireland… There is bays, estuaries and beaches blocked solid with nets what do you do give up??

No, ya don't give up. You report it to IFI. If you don't get a response you go higher up.

Bizzum wrote: »
    No, ya don't give up. You report it to IFI. If you don't get a response you go higher up.

Have done, doesn't make a difference... Same nets and people at it year after year after year...

Have done, doesn't make a difference... Same nets and people at it year after year after year...

Give Ciaran Byrne a call so and state your case to him.

Give Ciaran Byrne a call so and state your case to him.

And who is Ciaran Byrne?

• Advertisement

Another doctrine! Lol you know fair play you right... Will do come march when I out in the boat!

Another doctrine! Lol you know fair play you right... Will do come march when I out in the boat!

Yes, A Doctorate in Sea Trout I believe.

Good stuff. Some positive news at last. I was gonna recommend the Samaritans the way you were going;)

Yes, A Doctorate in Sea Trout I believe.

Good stuff. Some positive news at last. I was gonna recommend the Samaritans the way you were going;)

Lol I suppose when you have the eyes wide open and have been prone to spotting the bull**** a lot from an early age, you might forgive me for being a bit reckless or intense...

Fishing, fish, angling, match fishing, salmon, sea trout, fly fishing, spinning, surf casting, bait digging and everything in between has been my life...

I might just care a lot more then others and I can't help it, sorry about that but the Samaritans won't be getting a call from me... I,ll just wreak your head! Lol :D

Do you biz work for the fishery board?

Lol I suppose when you have the eyes wide open and have been prone to spotting the bull**** a lot from an early age, you might forgive me for being a bit reckless or intense...

Fishing, fish, angling, match fishing, salmon, sea trout, fly fishing, spinning, surf casting, bait digging and everything in between has been my life...

I might just care a lot more then others and I can't help it, sorry about that but the Samaritans won't be getting a call from me... I,ll just wreak your head! Lol :D

Do you biz work for the fishery board?

Keep on caring, don't be worrying yourself where I work, I'm just another Gob****e with a smartphone.

Keep on caring, don't be worrying yourself where I work, I'm just another Gob****e with a smartphone.

Mod Snip I completed cert course last year in environmental science, gonna complete degree course within the three years in an environmental field and I guarantee I sill wouldn't get a job with the fishery board, sometimes you just gotta create your own future..

Anyway I gotta head, gotta get up at six to dig lug for Saturday we going after specimen dabs near Kells in south Kerry... Take care... :)

a river me and my dad fish at home (uk) is stocked with brownies by the club that owns the fishing. if someone is caught poaching by the club we call the EA and they come out and if the poacher has a rod licence they cant and wont do anything about because he has a rod license and as a small club we dont have the financial clout to take the guy to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

MOD: danbrosnan, do not speculate on where any member of this forum is employed.

Sorry about that sea fields no harm intended at all… My bad!! :(

Advertisement