Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest graphical 'whoooa' moment?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

588327_60274_back.jpg

I got this for Christmas and I remember looking longingly at the box for hours on the way home from Game in Tallaght amazed at the graphics....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 r0ckst4r

Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast had that "wow" factor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Tomb Raider 1 / Resident Evil absolutely blew me away

First game I hooked up with a HDMI cable - Resistance 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

Motorstorm on ps3 on a good HD TV, I thought it looked amazing, especially the cut scene at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ It's mad how good the facial animation on HL2 still looks, there's games released in the last few months that don't have lip syncing that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,070 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The Prague track in Forza 5 was my first 'wow' moment in the new gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Going from Pac Man on my uncle's Atari 2600 to Turtles on the NES. Felt like controlling the actual cartoon to my 5-year-old self.

First time playing Mario 64 was pretty jaw-dropping too, in terms of seeing a game world I'd imagined in 3D for years in 'real life' for the first time...felt like a flatlander :)

Gran Turismo was a big one, from the opening video with the Manics track to the replays, it was absolutely jaw dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

When I bought my NES in 1988 and plugged in Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Up until that point I'd only played the Atari 2600 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah Gran Turismo really was one of those "graphics will never be better than this" type of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Stepping onto the dam in Goldeneye and being able to see right across to the end was a defining moment for me as a gamer! Especially after the foggy mess that was Turok! The N64 era as a whole had a good few 'wow' moments when you consider Zelda, Mario and Banjo-Kazooie. To be honest I don't think I've ever enjoyed gaming as much as I did back then.

I thought Gears of War was the first game of its generation that really made me feel as though the "next generation was truly here". The graphics and physics were phenomenal. The underground level with all the luminous imulsion was a particular highlight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

metal gear solid was the first game where I thought games were finally getting to a decent stage.

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah Gran Turismo really was one of those "graphics will never be better than this" type of games.

And now there's mobile phone games that look better, it's mental to think what games will look like in another few years. If you'd told me in 2001 that I'd be playing GTAIII on a PHONE a decade later I wouldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Gran Turismo would be one for me alright but I think the biggest whoaa moment I had was with Magic Carpet, had been used to some games on the SNES but the intro to this blew me away. Then playing the game my whole body would move in the direction I was going similar to what you see in videos of occulus rift these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

My first graphical whooa moment was DOOM on shareware. It blew my 7 year old mind away. I think the gore also had some influence on me as well as the graphics tbh.
    Probably followed by Gran Turismo on PS1 and Colin McRae Rally on PC. I thought the graphics were stunning and couldn't get any better. I'd say my most recent ones would be Bioshock Infinite and GTA 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 r0ckst4r

Far cry on the PC
    Resident evil on gamecube
    MSR on dreamcast
    TV sports football CBM Amiga
    Castle of illusion megadrive
    Fzero Snes
    Wipeout on ps1
    Road rash 3DO
    Mlb the show PS3
    IO c64
    God of war ps2
    Starfox N64

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Going from my Frankenstein/Power ranger megazord mess that was the mega drive, mega cd and 32x combo to the playstation and playing ridge racer, battle arena toshinden and wipeout on the day before release, especially wipeout and the dino demo.

Worthy mentions.

Virtua racing and virtua fighter in the arcades. The dawn of 3d. (for me at least)

Halo's first mission.

The original Far Cry which beat Doom 3 and Half Life 2 to release and the original Crysis even on medium settings. All 3 heralded a new gen of graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

krudler wrote: »
    Gran Turismo was a big one, from the opening video with the Manics track to the replays, it was absolutely jaw dropping.

I remember unlocking "Hi-Res" mode for the first time. Poo got real then.

Hi-Fi mode is unlocked by completing arcade mode. It is only 3 time trials and unfortunatly only on special stage night tracks. Was quite special at the time to see the game running at a full hires interlaced 50/60 fps even though some gfx was dissabled.

Advertisement