Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda reseve powers on and off duty

Options
  • 28-10-2013 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

just a question I would like to know, I have sent off the BR form and am awaiting reply from them. just wanted to know if I would be able to intervene in a crime being committed while off duty and present myself as a garda.
    also can they wear their uniform walking home or too the station, the main reason I ask this is because during the interview I was asked how I would feel having to walk to my home wearing the uniform. I know a garda and he wears his home but he is full time.
    I would imagine if u are not allowed walk the streets on ur own on duty why would u be allowed walk home in uniform on ur own off duty.
    cheers lads .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

coolock94 wrote: »
    just a question I would like to know, I have sent off the BR form and am awaiting reply from them. just wanted to know if I would be able to intervene in a crime being committed while off duty and present myself as a garda.
    also can they wear their uniform walking home or too the station, the main reason I ask this is because during the interview I was asked how I would feel having to walk to my home wearing the uniform. I know a garda and he wears his home but he is full time.
    I would imagine if u are not allowed walk the streets on ur own on duty why would u be allowed walk home in uniform on ur own off duty.
    cheers lads .

No no no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

alri but I asked the last question cause it was asked in interview how I would feel walkin home in the uniform.. silly thing to ask if its not going to happen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

alri but I asked the last question cause it was asked in interview how I would feel walkin home in the uniform.. silly thing to ask if its not going to happen .

They basically want to establish whether you are willing to put yourself into a situation where ur friends and neighbours may change their opinion of you as u are a member of the police force and how comfortable u are with this

what answer did u give?

I first said I would get changed in the station into me normal clothes but he said but if u had no choice and I said well it wouldn't bother me,, I wouldn't because of the area I live in,, id be burnt out of me house if they new I was a garda.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

"just a question I would like to know, I have sent off the BR form and am awaiting reply from them. just wanted to know if I would be able to intervene in a crime being committed while off duty and present myself as a garda".

This is a situation which has raised a lot of difficulties for some GR's. When you are off duty you have no policing powers. As Irish citizens we all have the ability to make a citizens arrest (Sec 4 Criminal Law Act) which basically allows you to hold an individual who has committed an offence and hand him to the Gardai when they arrive. Remember GR's are members of An Garda Siochana who hold the rank of Reserve Gardai so to present yourself as a Garda may lead you into troubled waters. My advice is to think before you act.

• Advertisement

yeah id agree,, its ridiculous to think I hold a rank in the garda but am not allowed class myself a guard,, but I don't mind I just want to help people so that's my main reason for signing up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

There was a reserve garda standing in the middle of junction in my town a while back, sending cars through red lights, for no reason at all, I think he landed himself in hot water.

not surprised that's ridiculous thing to do.

Boaty wrote: »
    There was a reserve garda standing in the middle of junction in my town a while back, sending cars through red lights, for no reason at all, I think he landed himself in hot water.

Was he is uniform if so then he was on duty and if so he does have the power under the Road Traffic Act to direct traffic

Raider190 wrote: »
    Was he is uniform if so then he was on duty and if so he does have the power under the Road Traffic Act to direct traffic
    He was in uniform, there was no need for him to be there, as the lights were in operation, he was just trying to show his authority which is not much.

• Advertisement

He was in uniform, there was no need for him to be there, as the lights were in operation, he was just trying to show his authority which is not much.

What a foolish comment......He was there because he was directed by his Sgt to be there. Think of the bigger picture . Do you know what was going on .I suspect not....Its not about power its about doing a good job

What a foolish comment......He was there because he was directed by his Sgt to be there. Think of the bigger picture . Do you know what was going on .I suspect not....Its not about power its about doing a good job
    I should have included that was the view of the sgt.

yeah id agree,, its ridiculous to think I hold a rank in the garda but am not allowed class myself a guard,, but I don't mind I just want to help people so that's my main reason for signing up .

Need to rethink this attitude , we are members and within the Gardai rank is an important ethos. What matters is doing the job as well as you can .Focus on that and leave the ego stuff aside

I should have included that was the view of the sgt.

What a crock ...Dont think a Sgt would express his opinions to A CIVILIAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

The main question is, was there a full time person minding him?

If so it probably was an official thing with good reason. If not he was probably taking it upon himself....

Cd_doe wrote: »
    The main question is, was there a full time person minding him?

If so it probably was an official thing with good reason. If not he was probably taking it upon himself....

Not always the case sometimes it the reserve doing the minding. Remember a number of reserves are qualified and more life experienced that their full time younger colleagues. Policing is 99_% common sense and 1% legal. The ability to communicate with general public is a critical part of police work and many reserves are at the top of their game. They work in various roles in their professional lives with responsibilities far beyond those of a regular Garda so the concept that
    he Garda reserve is comprised of adults who need to be minded as you put it is both insulting and obviously ill informed

Need to rethink this attitude , we are members and within the Gardai rank is an important ethos. What matters is doing the job as well as you can .Focus on that and leave the ego stuff aside

No I'd agree suppose where just there as there support .

Not always the case sometimes it the reserve doing the minding. Remember a number of reserves are qualified and more life experienced that their full time younger colleagues. Policing is 99_% common sense and 1% legal. The ability to communicate with general public is a critical part of police work and many reserves are at the top of their game. They work in various roles in their professional lives with responsibilities far beyond those of a regular Garda so the concept that
    he Garda reserve is comprised of adults who need to be minded as you put it is both insulting and obviously ill informed

O ffs...

I suppose to be more politically correct I should have said accompany them rather than mind.

But technically speaking, what do you think is the main reason they must be "accompanied" by a real guard?

Now to go back on topic. OP, if your station has facilities that allow you to change, your far better off changing before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

No I'd agree suppose where just there as there support .

but can I walk home in uniform ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

No.

O ffs...

I suppose to be more politically correct I should have said accompany them rather than mind.

But technically speaking, what do you think is the main reason they must be "accompanied" by a real guard?

Ask yourself this question when did you ever see a guard out on their own. It is standard operating procedure in all police forces throughout the world to have officers work in pairs in order to minimise the risk to both officers. So the question you ask really a mute point. Would you walk around the inner city,, Finglas, blanchardstiwn, coolock on your own I think not. You prefer to make snide remarks and belittle 1300 men and women who instead of sitting on their backsides volunteer their time and put on a uniform and stab vest to put themselves in harm's way in order to ensure that good honest people can go about their lives without been harmed.......so think on and the next time you see a Garda reserve out on patrol with a "real guard" you thank them for
    their

O ffs...

Ask yourself this question when did you ever see a guard out on their own. It is standard operating procedure in all police forces throughout the world to have officers work in pairs in order to minimise the risk to both officers. So the question you ask really a mute point. Would you walk around the inner city,, Finglas, blanchardstiwn, coolock on your own I think not. You prefer to make snide remarks and belittle 1300 men and women who instead of sitting on their backsides volunteer their time and put on a uniform and stab vest to put themselves in harm's way in order to ensure that good honest people can go about their lives without been harmed.......so think on and the next time you see a Garda reserve out on patrol with a "real guard" you thank them for
    their

Guards are often out on their own tho? It's not ideal but it does happen...
    have you not heard of one man stations??
    I honestly don't know where you get your information. But it's fairly bad

You're overreacting. Afaik reserve guards are not allowed out on their on own and must be accompanied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

You're overreacting. Afaik reserve guards are not allowed out on their on own and must be accompanied?

Section 15 sets out that us Reserve members are members of AGS and have the same powers etc.. while on duty. But in the same section it also gives the commissioner the power to set out what powers we can use and what duties we can perform aswell as what conditions these duties must be performed under. A condition for foot-patrol and general tours is that we must be supervised by a member of the full time service.

I don't see any problem with this, but I have heard myths of Reserves on the beat by themselves. But it is noted if they mess up out there on there own they will be exactly that on there own.

In the station I am in it is regular that full timers would do the beat on there own.

As for incidents off duty, been a member of the reserves is not much use as the only power is CLA 1997 section 4 (1) or (2) and it has to be an arrestable offence ; “arrestable offence” means an offence for which a person of full capacity and not previously convicted may, under or by virtue of any enactment, be punished by imprisonment for a term of five years or by a more severe penalty and includes an attempt to commit any such offence; so you can't just lift someone for any offence it has to be one that carries jail time of 5 years or more. Thief would be one but certain assaults are not.

I suppose you could use section 4 (3) off duty as Reserve members are members of AGS and the act dose not give a base 'rank', IE , a member of An Garda Siochana holding the rank of Garda or higher. But not 100% on that.

Even at that use the head, sum up how serious the incident is, how long will it take for someone to arrive, how serious the treat to life is, how serious the risk to yourself is. Full time members are fully trained us Reserve members are not so we might think we are helping in a situation but we could make the situation a hell of alot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

correct

this was a request from the GRA

the GRA feared that reserves would be used to replace fulltime members

they demanded that all Reserve members be accompanied. thus ensuring that fulltimers would be kept

its not a question of 'minding' - thats just a way of demeaning reserve members at the expense of saving the blushes of a scared and reactionary representative association

Guards are often out on their own tho? It's not ideal but it does happen...
    have you not heard of one man stations??
    I honestly don't know where you get your information. But it's fairly bad

My information is gained from my experience and my service. One man stations are a thing of the past. I say again and perhaps this time you might listen
    Gardai do not patrol on their own and armchair generals should not make comments in topics they know nothing about.

My information is gained from my experience and my service. One man stations are a thing of the past. I say again and perhaps this time you might listen
    Gardai do not patrol on their own and armchair generals should not make comments in topics they know nothing about.

Gardai do patrol on there own on occasion.

3fullback wrote: »

Gardai do patrol on there own on occasion.

As I have stated before not in high crime areas within Dublin. would you put yourself at risk I don't think so. Comment on matters you are qualified to speak about and not what you get from the net or the papers

• Advertisement

That's fine, if that's what you believe.

Advertisement